Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

TMC-6/TD-20 "How-To" Sticky

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
    Thanks for the reply! If you combine the TD-9 and TD-6, the TD-9 is the 'master' and the TD-6 becomes sort of a trigger bank?

Sounds like you have an awesome set! I like to have other types of cymbals (chinas, splash, etc.) and would like two higher toms (~8" and 10" equivalent), so now that I know there is expansion possibility, I am psyched.

Derek
    yes, the td9 is the master, and the td6 is the slave and connected - just like a tmc would be - via a midi cable.

do a search for 'td96' and you will find some blurry photos of my kit
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Finally found the kit Saku, didn't know which forum. Love the red, and the ever expanding nature of the kit. Guess all it takes now is MONEY. Apparently lots of it! Looking for a TD9 set, then will add the TD6 module. If it works for you, then it works for me - thanks for doing the legwork!

Derek
      Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
      Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

I added a TMC-6 to my TD-9 and it's great.
        So much so, that I nearly bought a 2nd TMC-6 to add even more triggers!
        I'd suggest a TD-4 as well (I use one in place of the 2nd TMC-6) as an option to the TD-6 Saku mentioned above.
        They have plenty of inputs and sometimes come up for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
          I added a TMC-6 to my TD-9 and it's great.
          So much so, that I nearly bought a 2nd TMC-6 to add even more triggers!
          I'd suggest a TD-4 as well (I use one in place of the 2nd TMC-6) as an option to the TD-6 Saku mentioned above.
          They have plenty of inputs and sometimes come up for a good price.
          Wow - that is some set you have there! Its pretty clear that the expansion possibilities are endless, and eBay has some good deals I have been seeing. For some reason, the upgrade possibilities and the engineering involved is just as cool as the drumming itself. Its like for years the guitar players and keyboard players got to play with all these electronic toys, and now we can too.

Really cool.

Derek

Comment

Just picked up my TD-9SX Saturday. Thanks everyone for the knowledge shared here - gave me the confidence to finally get it. The expansion possibilities seem endless. I happened to have a RM-2 practice pad laying around, so I hooked that up to AUX and have a 16" Tom now as well. Getting a TD-6 will be my next purchase, but right now I am having enough fun as it is, triggering cowbells, splash, and a china off the tom rims.

Derek

Comment

ive searched other threads but cant find the info i want. i am a real novice when it comes to midi so please bear with me,
              i have a td 20 and a td 3 and want to know if i can trigger sounds from the td 20 to td 3 via midi? all that i know is that the td 3 is set in midi channel 10 fixed.
              do i go midi out td 20 to midi in td 3? or the otherway around? it would be cool if someone can explain in detail in laymans terms how to make the settings to make it all happen. i did try too find it in the owners manuals but cant figure it out.
              any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                ive searched other threads but cant find the info i want. i am a real novice when it comes to midi so please bear with me,
                i have a td 20 and a td 3 and want to know if i can trigger sounds from the td 20 to td 3 via midi? all that i know is that the td 3 is set in midi channel 10 fixed.
                do i go midi out td 20 to midi in td 3? or the otherway around? it would be cool if someone can explain in detail in laymans terms how to make the settings to make it all happen. i did try too find it in the owners manuals but cant figure it out.
                any help would be greatly appreciated.
                To uise the Td20's sounds, connect midi out of the td3 to midi in of the td20.
                Then make a note of which midi not numbers the td3 outputs for each pad (note # page 60), and assign those numbers the sounds you want...this is doen at the percussion part screen of the td20. (percussion part settings, page 55). Set the percussion channel to 10 as on page 74.

I dont think you can trigger the td3's sounds (no percussion part), but since they are a subset of the td20's, why would you?
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                  Then make a note of which midi not numbers the td3 outputs for each pad (note # page 60),
                  I think you would need to change each note number on the TD-3, because all those listed in the chart on page 61 would conflict with those used by the same trigger inputs on the TD-20 (and in this particular case they're both using the same channel). Lots of numbers available in a TD-20 percussion set though, since a TD-20 drum kit doesn't use 0-21 or 60-127.

Bruce

Comment

Forgive me for chiming in so late. Can this set of guidelines be applied with an SPD-30? I did post another similar question on the forum a few days ago, but this seems very close to what I am trying to achieve.
                    I'd like to think that at it's heart, the the SPD-30 is a box with 8 pads connected to a TMC-6, and that my TD-20 can access it exactly as per the OP.
                    If this is the case, are there any guidelines and menus that I should follow differently? I'd love to fully integrate my SPD-30 into my TD-20 through the MIDi out/in.

Comment

Anyone try the TD-30 and a DDrum DDTI trigger module?
                      Pearl Mimic PRO
                      DDrum DDTi
                      Custom DIY Conversion

Comment

Sorry for picking up an old thread... Question though: I read above that the TMC-6 doesn't allow you to access the COSM-features of the module it's linked to. Is that a TMC-6-limitation, or a general one? Would linking a TD-20 to e.g. a TD-30 allow the TD-20 to use the COSM-features of the TD-30? Or e.g. when you link a TD-6/8/whatever to a TD-20?
                        'lectric drumma
                        Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Anyone?
                          'lectric drumma
                          Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

I would like to share my TMC-6 configuration instructions in case it helps anyone else, even though the unit is already End-of-Sale. If you have any suggestions, please comment here.
                            TMC-6 Configuration.zip
                            Last edited by tkydon; 07-28-18, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X