Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Clipping and other noizez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping and other noizez

Couple things happening here....

One: When I play through my headphones (Sony MDR-V600) I get a clipping noise when I play fast double kick. It doesn't happen when I turn down the volume on my mixer, but then the volume isn't loud enough (duh).
    I tried kicking down the bass setting on the mixer for my drum channel, but that only helped marginally.
    I only have the output of my TD-10 about halfway, and the mixer isn't up that loud either.

I suspect that my headphones just suck.
    Any ideas?

Two: Every once in a while I get a fairly horrible noise from my JBL G2s, sometimes when I'm playing, sometimes when I'm not. It sort of sounds like static, but very harsh and abrupt static, like the sound you get when you unplug a cord from a guitar slowly while everything's still on - you know that terrible sound that seems like nothing but bad things are happening.

My thought is that I'm getting some tired electrical surges in my power (I don't have a UPS yet).
    I'm not sure what else it could be... anyone....?

Thanks in advance.
    BINARY

Hi, is it possible that your Kick sensitivity is too high and peaking hard when you double up?

Regarding the second problem, your using a TD10, mixer and G2's. Can you isolate the problem down to one piece?

Comment

For number 1 – I noticed that by raising the mask time to 16 helped me a lot. But I’ am referring to my TD-8 although the same should apply to the TD-10.

For number 2 – I had to replace the cable (I got a monster cable) and the problem went away, try that first if you haven’t already. I had a few people inadvertently walk on top of the cables and they got smashed.

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Some more info

First let us lay some groundwork: audio systems can exhibit "hum" and they can exhibit "buzz," which are two separate situations. To solve the problem, you need to determine whether your system is exhibiting hum or buzz.
        Sixty(60)-hertz hum (fifty(50) hertz internationally) is a result of having a ground loop in the audio system. This is where there are two or more ground references in the system, and current is flowing from one ground point to another. Any piece audio equipment requires one ground reference. Ground loops can be formed in a number of ways. For example: An audio power amplifier obtains its ground from the AC power cord. The mixer, which drives the power amplifier, also receives its ground from the AC power cord. When the audio cable connects the mixer to the power amplifier the amplifier now sees a second ground from the mixer. If the mixer and power amplifier are both plugged into the same AC power strip then the mixer/amplifier interconnect cable shield can be cut to eliminate this problem.

Another cause of system "hum" is electrically induced, such as having a very sensitive component too close to a power transformer. Power amplifiers have large power transformers and can induce a magnetic field into other equipment. If you suspect this may be the cause of your problem then placing more distance between the two components is the only practical solution.
        Excessive "noise" on the AC mains can cause "buzz" in certain components. Lighting dimmer packs are notorious for inducing noise onto the AC mains. If this is your problem try putting the lighting system on a different AC mains feed.

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

It sounds like you're using an outboard mixer. If you are, it sounds like your pre-gain input on the kick channel is too hot. Try running it about 9 on the clock. Check your manual for channel level setting.

I have Sony MDR V6, 7506 and 7509. I much prefer the V6, both for comfort and sound. Unfortunately, I broke them and can't fix them.

Jay
          jg52

Comment

Your problem #2 is similar to my experience... I had an intermittent static/high-pitched-distortion-type sound on my TD-10. It occurred on headphone & line out jacks, and using any trigger input (I used the "preview" button to eliminate the trigger pads as a source of the problem).

To make a long story short and after 4 months worth of sending the TD-10 unit back and forth to my local repair shop unsuccessfully, they sent it in to Roland and swapped the entire motherboard. Problem gone.

Ray

Comment

Working...
            X