Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

how much abuse can the v-customs take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much abuse can the v-customs take

I just got in my v-custom set and am very happy. Was up until the wee hours of the morning with my heaphones on. My question is how much abuse can I dish out to these. I paid alot for the set and don't want to end up having to get new pads in 2 weeks due to them breaking. Can I play them like real drums and really slam on them? I already see lots of marks on the rubber cymbal pads from my sticks, although I switched over to plastic tips (I hated plastic tips on acoustic drums but obviously doesn't make much difference on the mesh heads) and it made less marks. Any tips on maintenance of the pads/heads would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about the pd-7's they can take a beating. The only thing you need to do to the pd-7's is wipe them off with a wet rag.
    The mesh head on the kd-80 will be your major problem. I replaced mine with a kd-7 because I was ripping through the mesh head. If you play soft and use a felt beater you might not have problems but I just didn't want to have to keep replacing the head.

Comment

I've already posted my method on "wear and tear on Pd's".

On my PD7's I noticed the rubber coming off, similar to the rubber coming off your eraser after use. I thought if this keeps up, I'll reach the metal plate pretty soon. So I've covered the PD7's with cloth, and after 6 yrs(almost) the rubber's still "unerased".

Don't any of you get this rubber thinning effect??

Fon.
      Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
      Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

I have noticed the rubber tinning effect but I don't believe I'm removing a huge amount of it. It doesn't seem to be more sensitive or less bouncy so I don't think you should worry about it. Besides most people will be upgrading to V-cymbals and some will get rid of their old PD's for cheap.

Comment

Working...
        X