Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Remote Hi-Hat Hook up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Hi-Hat Hook up

Hey all,

I recently purchased a full TD-20 kit and was considering getting a remote hi-hat (Pearl RH-2000). I was wondering what my options were as far as attaching it to the rack goes. Would the standard rack mounts that come with the kit work, or would I need a separate clamp?? I've thought of possibly attaching it to a cymbal arm as an option too. I'm curious to hear from others who use a remote hi-hat with the Roland kits and what you guys do.

Thanks in advance!!

Raj

ah, a cable hat.. i think you need a Gibraltar SC-GPRMC 1 1/2" clamp
    for that. But, with that type of hat, you'll have some lag when
    playing hh foot ? anyway, i'd try before buy.
    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

A remote hi hat is definitely the way to go with any kit that uses a rack, IMHO. I chose the DW 9250 'cos I got a great deal and it came with an arm extension that I thought I needed, but I'm sure the Pearl is just as good and probably cheaper. For my situation, I mounted my VH-11 on the left-hand side of my TD-6V rack, and ended up just attaching it with one of those reversible block clamps. Works like a charm, and it's soooo nice to be able to put your hats and your pedal wherever you want, irrespective of each other's positioning.

Good luck and good thinking.

Steve
      No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

This is an old cymbal mount bar dealie threaded through a Roland hatchmount. Then I attach a Dw MG1 and MG2. Clamp to remote. I found the regular DW Dogbone to be just offset enough to bother me. The dw mg1 and mg2 together can be adjusted perfect.

Comment

I've just ordered the Pearl remote hat. It was the best priced out of the available DW, Yamaha and Pearl choices but I had no opportunity to try it out. I did read a comparison review of the three which said that the Pearl was the smoothest operating of the bunch. As for lag, why would there be any lag at all? Unless the cable were to stretch a tiny bit on each depression of the pedal?
          Anyway, I don't have a rack system so I will just be attaching it to my cymbal boom stand directly in front of my snare. Can't wait!
          The blues are here to take me and to drag me down to hell...

Comment

"feel" things are very personal, the friction of the cable causes drag, that some people notice.
            i guess the newer models are improved, but few years back, it seemed the longer the cable, the more (opening) lag ?
            i've read good things about the pearl though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
              "feel" things are very personal, the friction of the cable causes drag, that some people notice.
              i guess the newer models are improved, but few years back, it seemed the longer the cable, the more (opening) lag ?
              i've read good things about the pearl though.
              Yeah Eric, I think you might be surprised at the immediacy of the newer models. My DW's response is instantaneous enough for it to be a complete non-issue, and it has a looooooooong cable too. Also, I play with a regular hh stand on one of my A kits 2 or 3 times a week, so it's not like I've just gotten used to it - I really can't tell a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Relayer View Post
                Yeah Eric, I think you might be surprised at the immediacy of the newer models. My DW's response is instantaneous enough for it to be a complete non-issue, and it has a looooooooong cable too. Also, I play with a regular hh stand on one of my A kits 2 or 3 times a week, so it's not like I've just gotten used to it - I really can't tell a difference.
                you just made this thread more valuable,
                "can't tell a difference" does sound good, and you switch regularly..
                i still have one question though, after longer use, is it just as smooth ?

(ps. i still would like to feel one, if i'd buy though, but that's
                just because i normally try to do that).
                Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-03-07, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys!! I have personally tried only the DW cable hi-hat in the store (they didn't have a pearl for me to play with) but they are extremely smooth. They feel no different from a regular hi-hat (at least to me). I leaning towards the Pearl over the DW because:

1) It doesn't have any extra unnecessary hardware
                  2) Cheaper
                  3) I already have pearl eliminator bass pedals so everything will match

All the reviews of the Pearl say it's just as good (if not better) than the DW.

Thanks again!!

Raj

Comment

Yep, if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Pearl, but they didn't have any, and after I tested the DW I just had to have one like yesterday. All the drums and hardware on my "gig" A kit are Pearl - great stuff

Comment

Hey thanks Relayer. It's good to hear your experience with the pearl. Now I really can't wait.
                      The blues are here to take me and to drag me down to hell...

Comment

Working...
                      X