Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with understanding a setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with understanding a setting

OK, so I'm adjusting my DIY kit I just made and trying to tweak each input for my playing style... most importantly, all 3 of my toms..when playing them kind of at the maximum velocity (but not bashing the hell out of them) I get a double-trigger... actually it sounds like a Flam when I hit the cone tip dead on or an inch away...

which setting do I need to increase to eliminate? I am confused by the Mask time and Retrigger cancel..... (i'm thinking it's the latter i need to change).

thanks!

PS - Also when adjusting the sensitivity for each input, do I want to make the Velocity display briefly go to "Peak" when hitting the hardest I will or am I damaging the module/piezo by doing this..
    I've been drumming for 43 years... I'm 42 years old.

Start with retrigger cancel and then change mask time. Hopefully BarT will be along in a minute and explain the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
      OK, so I'm adjusting my DIY kit I just made and trying to tweak each input for my playing style... most importantly, all 3 of my toms..when playing them kind of at the maximum velocity (but not bashing the hell out of them) I get a double-trigger... actually it sounds like a Flam when I hit the cone tip dead on or an inch away...

which setting do I need to increase to eliminate? I am confused by the Mask time and Retrigger cancel..... (i'm thinking it's the latter i need to change).

thanks!
      Yes, increasing retrigger cancel slightly should do the trick. Mask time is really just for a kick drum when you want to filter out actual double strikes caused by bounces.

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
      PS - Also when adjusting the sensitivity for each input, do I want to make the Velocity display briefly go to "Peak" when hitting the hardest I will or am I damaging the module/piezo by doing this..
      The manual says "nearly"; "Adjust the “SENSITIVITY” value so that the strongest strikes cause the input indicator to reach nearly all the way to the maximum level.", but occasional peaking won't cause any damage.

Bruce

Comment

cool thanks a lot man!!
        I've been drumming for 43 years... I'm 42 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          nearly all the way to the maximum level.", but occasional peaking won't cause any damage.
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I can only suggest setting Velocity Curve to LOUD2 (Edit > Cur; Ld2) which would give the least amount of difference between soft and hard hits. Then reduce sensitivity until you can't quite produce the bell sound from the bow.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce,

That made a noticeable difference in my ride, and similar adjustments made a huge difference for my cross stick. Previously I got rim shots about 90% of the time. Now I really have to work at getting a rim shot and the cross stick is very consistent.

Thanks very much for all the great advice you provide here.
              Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
              X