Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PD-120 or Pintech AcousTech Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-120 or Pintech AcousTech Snare

I currently have a set of V-Customs and I want to change out the PD-80R with a larger snare pad. I'm torn on buying the Pintech AcousTech ($167.00) or should I bite the bullet and spend the extra for PD-120 ($309.00).

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

I cannot stress this enough.. BUY THE PD-120!!! Sorry for yelling but no pad works better for the snare. Spend the extra bucks and you'll be soooo glad you did.

Comment

I agree with cliff, the 120 is the obviously the way to go in my opinion also. Seeing as your already used to a Roland snare, you might be dissapointed otherwise. If you just want more size and are ready to work with combatibility (yes pun) issues you could try getting ahold of one of those Zombies for under 100 bucks. All aftermarket pads are going to take a bit more work to get them to function close to the Roland.

Comment

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with ya.I use harts accusnare,and I feel it's better in performance then the pd-120.(plus,it looks better)I do not know about pintech's stuff,Don't have alot of playing time with those cats.

Comment

Sorry bad karma,
          Even Peter Hart himself admits the PD 120 is more sensitive than the Accusnare. It is sometimes overlooked but sensitivity is vital especialy when it comes to a snare. BTW I've owned both in the past. I'm glad you like your Accusnare but your claim it out-performs the PD 120 is false. As far as looks go, the white PD 120 will match the V customs better than a modified chrome snare.

Comment

feef, "asa chrome snare"? The Zombies I saw were either white or black. ANd the white one, with steel rim & hardware, looked to be a good aesthetic match to the V Custom pads. I'm sure Jim is tinkering with them to get the rimshot thing down. The heads were very sensitive, playing very light hits and rolls as well as hard hits, with no real problem of false triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff:
              Sorry bad karma,
              Even Peter Hart himself admits the PD 120 is more sensitive than the Accusnare. It is sometimes overlooked but sensitivity is vital especialy when it comes to a snare. BTW I've owned both in the past. I'm glad you like your Accusnare but your claim it out-performs the PD 120 is false. As far as looks go, the white PD 120 will match the V customs better than a modified chrome snare.
              When I said that the accusnare looks better,I was refering to my kit,not v-customs.An oversite for which I apoligize.However,I have also talked with Peter about the accusnare versus the 120,I did do some tweaking and got it adjusted to were I liked it,and I still feel the sensitivity is better then the pd-120.Therfore not a false statement.I can not agree with you more that sensitivity should not be overlooked and alot of people seem to do that.However,I am not one of those people.I do belive sir that this is one instance were we can agree to disagree.But thats what makes this country great.We are aloud to have our own opinion,and ask others what thier opinions are.

c-ya'll

Comment

Originally posted by jcdrumstyx:
                I currently have a set of V-Customs and I want to change out the PD-80R with a larger snare pad. I'm torn on buying the Pintech AcousTech ($167.00) or should I bite the bullet and spend the extra for PD-120 ($309.00).
                I'm not a drummer, but bought the AX13S for my teenager (received a 14" chrome model - see the thread on Acoustech under the "Products" discussion). I have it set as a PD120 Positional on the TD-10 and he loves it. We have the expanded TD-10, new Roland V-cymbals, and all the rest Pintech including the AX13S, CC101ST's, HH10CV hi hat pedal and Pintech kick trigger. It is a poor man's V-Session in essence. He played the V-session at Guitar Center a few times and doesn't see a big downside to the Pintech stuff.

Comment

bad karma,
                  Everyones opinion counts, yours included. Just keep in mind that the manufacturer of the Accusnare agrees with me that the PD-120 is more sensitive.

Comment

Thanks for the all of the replies guys. Once again, it's nice to have this forum where we can all share ideas.

For those of you who might be interested, I went ahead and bought the PD-120. Being lazy as I am, I didn't want have to spend any time tweaking too much.

Thanks to everyone for the information all of it was good.

Comment

Working...
                    X