Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Is it possible to add other samples to TD20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to add other samples to TD20?

I have a TD20 module that I use in my hybrid drum kit. My guitar player also knows how to play keyboard. We were wondering this, is it possible to load samples made by a synthetizer to the TD20 via the compact flash?

If not, what do I need to do this.

We want to create weird noises, sound effects, and keyboard melodies, and be able to load them to the module and trigger them with a pad.

I already search on google and here for info about this, but didn't find anything.

Thanks for your help.

The TD-20 does not sample, nor does it import samples via compact flash ( or any other method). There is actually alot of discussion on this and related topics on this forum. You could add a stand alone sampling pad controller, like the Roland SPD-S or by using your TD-20 module and MIDI, trigger samples using a device like the Roland SP-404.
    Last edited by Crosstalk; 06-16-07, 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You can record midi patterns into the module and then when in the module, select the keyboard sounds, key, tempo and so on then trigger it from any pad or cymbal but its too much hassle for what you want to do.

You may want to consider a sampler like the spd-s to which you can import samples from a CF card and the trigger from the pads. A sampler is the easiest solution I think or you could just make up a backing track with all the keyboard parts and sound effects you want and just use an MP3 player to play it back and play along with.

The cheapest method is the MP3 player option but I would go with the spd-s since it gives you more options for the future and as a drummer. However if you are triggering a long keyboard part, you will need to make sure you are in sync with the pattern, you dont want to be playing at a certain tempo, trigger the sample just to find its not in time with the band.

I use backing tracks as well as an spd-s. The backing tracks consist of all the additional parts we need but also the drum part. The drum part volume is lowered on the track so that when I play along with the track, its my playing that comes over since my live kit volume is louder but I can still hear the drums on the backing track as my 'click' via my IEM's. I explained how I made these backing tracks up in the attached doc.

The main problem to think about whatever way you do it is that the band and the sample are all at the same tempo or it all becomes a mess.
      Attached Files

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
      *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

Thanks both of you for your help. The backing track solution looks good, but I guess that works in your case due to a lack of band members. In my case is just to add sounds, keyboard parts, and effects. I guess the spd-s is what I am looking for.

Besides the facts that the spd-s has its own pads, what would be the difference between the spd-s and the sp-404?

Comment

Originally posted by hcantu View Post
          Besides the facts that the spd-s has its own pads, what would be the difference between the spd-s and the sp-404?
          The links I posted previously lead to a plethora of information (including descriptions, images, & video) on both products. Johnny Rabb's SPD-S videos alone are worth the visit.

Roland SPD-S

Roland SP-404

Comment

Originally posted by hcantu View Post
            Thanks both of you for your help. The backing track solution looks good, but I guess that works in your case due to a lack of band members. In my case is just to add sounds, keyboard parts, and effects. I guess the spd-s is what I am looking for.

Whatever sounds you dont need, you just dont put on the track so it would work regardless of the amount of band members. The main thing this option gives you is a 'click' all the way through the song which means everything is kept in time as well as all your keyboard parts and effects.

However, you could set up a tambourine, shaker, bongo part or whatever to play through the song on the spd-s (from its large internal selection of percussion samples mmmmmmmm ) which will give you your 'click', then when you trigger your keyboard parts, they should all be in sync. Just need to make sure everything is recorded at the same tempo.

Really interested to see which road you take, let us all know how you get on

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
            *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

I sure will let u know.
              Thank you both for your help. I appreciate it.

Hector

Comment

Mr. Stixx........I haven't bought an spd-s, due to money and limited space issues, but I have been doing the mp3 player solution. Now, what I am planning to do, is buy a software sampler. That way, trigger any sample with my td20 controlling the sampler on my laptop....Still don't know which software sampler to buy, but I'll let you know which one I get. Any suggestions are welcome hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                X