Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PM-3 Amplfier Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM-3 Amplfier Hum

I have been using the Roland PM-3 with a V-Pro/TD-10 configuration for several months. The PM-3 always seems to have a low frequency hum when the volume is turned to high levels. It's particularly apparent if the bass levels on the PM-3 is cranked up.

I solved a hum problem on the TD-10 using some of the techniques mentioned in the forum, along with doing some power conditioning and adding RF chokes. Also keeping the masetr output at higher levels. Neither of these works for the PM-3. In fact, even with the amp disconnecetd from the TD-10, there is a very noticeable hum just with the cables connected to the line in jacks.

Has anyone else observed this? Is this normal background noise for an amp of this type? Would better cables help?

THX for any assistance.

Are you grounding your gear?

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Grounding - great question and first thing I thought of too. I ran the power cord of the PM-3 to a metallic ground (water pipe) and it didn't seem to have any effect. Have you seen a ground problem that produced this effect?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGert:
        Grounding - great question and first thing I thought of too. I ran the power cord of the PM-3 to a metallic ground (water pipe) and it didn't seem to have any effect. Have you seen a ground problem that produced this effect?

Paul

No, I have not experienced the same issue.

Sometimes the cables will give out as well, so donít be surprised if itís the cables. What cables are you using at this time?

Try to use a grounding adapter with the amp cord (if you are going directly in to the wall socket), or put the grounding adapter at the end of your power strip, if using one.

Also, try to do a search on the hum and/or grounding matter in this forum, I believe some people had similar issues that were addressed.

Good luck!

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

Working...
        X