Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

td 20 direct outs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• td 20 direct outs

when using the 8 direct outs on the td 20 to a mixer are thay TR or TRS?
    dumb question but cant find the info in the manual. thanks.
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

TR

All unbalanced.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo
      TR

All unbalanced.
      So standard guitar cables work for this? My brother is about to convert to a full electronic kit (other than cymbals) and we had initially thought we could use his old mic cables (he individually mic'd each drum = 1 snare, 5 rack and 2 floor toms and 2 kicks). I had hoped this would also allow for live set up going from the TD 20 to the snake using XLR to TRS 1/4" adapter. Now it sounds like I will need a DI for each guitar cable to get it to the snake when gigging. Would appreciate confirmation of this.

As well, I saw other threads on only sending dry signal from the direct outs. Does this include everything that gives the pad it's specific sound but not something like reverb? I'm trying to insure that EQ and other sound characteristics are sent from the direct outs and the only limitation being processing. Again, would appreciate input from those more knowledgeable.

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

Confirmed, only unblanced. You will need DIs to use XLR cables.
        Confirmed. The direct outs give you everything but the effects, like reverb.
        sigpic

Comment

If you wanted to use 10 outputs of the module... You can also run a pair of cables from the Master outs... Then assign Effects.... to those outputs, and have the effects also....besides the 8 dry DOs, J
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord
            If you wanted to use 10 outputs of the module... You can also run a pair of cables from the Master outs... Then assign Effects.... to those outputs, and have the effects also....besides the 8 dry DOs, J
            hi jman. so can the master outs of the module be connected to the aux on a outboard mixer for just effects with out getting the drum sounds from the master outs?
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Yeah... that's the deal... By going into Setup ....you can set up the output destination so that only effects.... or Ambience and Effects.. go out to the Masters. Now... with a killer system front of house... and someone that knows how to use it... they could shape your sound where you might not need or want the effects from the TD-20 .... but it is a nice option to have available and the amount of effects is controllable at the board... add a touch or a lot.... J
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I was looking in the TD 20 manual and they have precious little about the direct outs. Is there any documentation that details how the directs outs work i.e. the ambience, effects etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord
                  Yeah... that's the deal... By going into Setup ....you can set up the output destination so that only effects.... or Ambience and Effects.. go out to the Masters. Now... with a killer system front of house... and someone that knows how to use it... they could shape your sound where you might not need or want the effects from the TD-20 .... but it is a nice option to have available and the amount of effects is controllable at the board... add a touch or a lot.... J
                  way cool as i have a mackie cr 1604 vlz that i have connected to my pc. i am thinking of using the direct outs from the drums to the mixer to have better control of my sound while recording and will be nice to be able to add effects using the master outs of the module to the mixers effect sends as an option. of course during recording i will try to record the drums dry and add effects during mixdown. what is cool is that i wont have to buy any outboard effects right away. my question is, will this kinda setup effect the sound coming from the headphones jack on the module? also is there any advantage going with this setup live as compared to just using the master outs? seems to me live it would be over kill but i dont know. thanks for all the input. what i need to add to my list of gasly things is a 8 ins and 8 outs audio card. but gotta keep my priorities in check

Comment

Well yes... it will effect the sounds coming from the headphones on the headphone jack of the TD-20 .... because when you shut off everything going to the master outs except the effects and ambience... the headphones will be receiving the same sounds as the Master Outs. You can shut off or turn on Amb. and effects separately to the headphones or Master Outs... but as far as the drumkit parts like toms, cymbals.... snare.... etc. if you shut them off to the Master Outs... you shut them off to the headphones.... Hope that made sense.

The thing to do though would be to take a headphone feed from the Mixer... that way you hear the sound that is being sent.

For live gigs.... The advantage to running Direct Outs whether you also run effects only on the Masters or not... Is:
                    Control at Front of House. If your level is too high on the snare the soundman can lower it himself... He could add EQ to individual Outputs if desired .... Basically more control FOH... Nice example of this for me... Last week the soundman took a separate DO for each tom and adjusted Eq.... and sent the floor tom through the subs.... all the drums sounded great... the toms sounded great...... and man was that floor tom sweet.... I couldn't wait to hear that sucka... J

Comment

thanks jman. that made alot of sense.

Comment

I started a new thread with this question. If this version of the question can be deleted, please remove it. Appreciated.

I purchased a used TD-20 kit in really good shape and am working on tweaking it for live performances. Here is my question...

Is it possible to send the Head instrument and the Rim instrument of the same pad to a separate Direct Out? For example, on TOM1, I have a '191 12"Maple T1' set as the Head instrument and '397 Cowbell Lo' set as the Rim instrument. I would like to send the Head instrument to Direct Out #5 and the Rim instrument (cowbell) to Direct Out #8...

Is this possible? Seems in the Owner's Manual that both the Head and Rim are tightly coupled and sent to the same Direct Out, but I'm hoping there is a way to separate them.

Thanks,
                        TR
                        Last edited by TR Beatbasher; 06-11-19, 04:40 PM. Reason: I started a new thread with this question.

Comment

Working...
                        X