Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Is cone supposed to touch drum head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cone supposed to touch drum head?

I was looking under my snare last night and noticed that the cone tip actually is in contact with the head all the time.

Is this right? I didn't think it was supposed to touch. If not,what is the correct spacing?

Thanks!

d4H

Originally posted by stick4Him:
    I was looking under my snare last night and noticed that the cone tip actually is in contact with the head all the time.

Is this right? I didn't think it was supposed to touch. If not,what is the correct spacing?

Thanks!

d4H
    I know nothing about it but I will think:
    If it is not in contact, how can the piezo detect the very very small vibration?? (eg. ghost notes)

Comment

Originally posted by stick4Him:

Thanks!

d4H
      Don't worry... the tip of the cone should be firmly planted on the head.

------------------
      \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited April 11, 2001).]
      \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Is cone supposed to touch drum head?

If cone doesn't have problems with that ...
        Robert

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies.

Response seems to be sluggish lately, so that's why I looked. The cone looked a little beat up.

I bought a spare a few months ago, so I guess I'll replace it. BTW, the new one is black colored. Is there a difference from the original blue one?

Comment

Originally hosted by stick4Him:
            I bought a spare a few months ago, so I guess I'll replace it. BTW, the new one is black colored. Is there a difference from the original blue one?
            Yes the blue one is blue and the black one is red
            Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
              Yes the blue one is blue and the black one is red
              Please explain this statement.

Thank you,
              -Marc.

Comment

The cone should sit about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch above the bearing edge of the shell.

The black ones are on the new pads, I guess Roland upgraded because of the complaints here about wear. I noticed the blacks look to be cut to shape the blues were molded.

I see the ddrummers are giving thier usual most informative input. Suprised Putt didn't say to return it to Roland for service.

Comment

Perhaps the black cones have a better foam density which - hopefully - minimizes the hot spots. I couldn't imagine another reason for changing the colour.
                  Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                    Perhaps the black cones have a better foam density which - hopefully - minimizes the hot spots. I couldn't imagine another reason for changing the colour.
                    Internal Customized Setting (or ICS), coupled with proper head tension eliminate "hot spots", putt... the cone density might help, but for what it's worth, I don't have hotspots, and my cones are blue.

------------------
                    \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited April 12, 2001).]

Comment

Guess what, guys.

Feefer is right!!

I finally tightened up my snare and checked tension at all tension rods according to TD-10 Tension meter and....

No more, I say, no more hot spot, son.

So, quitchergripinboutdehotspot
                      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

rus, can you elaborate on which settings to use/vary to eliminate the hot spot? Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by drmoze:
                          rus, can you elaborate on which settings to use/vary to eliminate the hot spot? Thanks...
                          Originally posted by Feefer:
                          Drmoze, a search for "hot spot" should reveal a bunch of factors to check to ensure the pad is performing optimally.
                          Doc,

There's a lot to it... it isn't too tough though. Best advice I can give is search like Feef said.

------------------
                          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited April 13, 2001).]

Comment

Cone should be touching the drum head. It is the best way to transfer vibrations from the head to the sensor/trigger.

Mine are black.

No hotspots once the proper adjustments are made.

Good Luck!
                            Kelly Mercer
                            Halifax, Nova Scotia
                            Canada

My Youtube Channel!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
                            http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X