Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

stereo solutions for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stereo solutions for dummies

OK, OK, I HAVE READ ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS ON WAYS TO CONNECT TO YOUR HOME STEREO, AND I STILL DON'T GET IT!

I HAVE A SONY, MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, RECEIVER. I PURCHASED A DUAL STEREO CORD WITH SMALLER JACKS FOR THE RECEIVER SIDE. THERE IS NO "AUX IN" ON THE BACK SIDE OF MY RECEIVER. WHERE DO I PUT THESE JACKS IN SO I CAN HEAR MY DRUMS OVER MY HOME STEREO.

PLEASE KEEP THE EXPLANATIONS SIMPLE FOR I AM ONLY A DRUMMER.

THANKS FOR THE HELP,

BRETT

Is there a microphone in?
    Or a CD in?
    Or a tape-deck in?

In general these inputs have 5-pins plugs but an adapter from jack to 5 pins will do the job. Don't know if the inputs give signals which are strong enough, but just try...
    Robert

Comment

I TRIED CD IN AND SEVERAL OTHERS, I STILL COULD NOT GET ANY SOUND.

Comment

HEY MAYBE YOUR STUFF IS WORKING YOU JUST CANT HEAR IT CAUSE YOUR ALWAYS SHOUTING!!!

MAYBE IF WE STOP SHOUTING WE CAN HEAR IF ITS WORKING OR NOT....

There that's better...

Sounds like your going from a 1/4" in jack to an RCA connector to plug into your receiver..You probably don't have an input that's hot enough to take the signal from your module...Many moons ago I bought a sort of a line preamp/mixer contraption from Radio Shack that worked just dandy...I'm sure they still have close to the same thing and its probably pretty cheap...

Good Luck

Comment

BE CAREFUL NOT TO BLOW UP YOUR RECEIVER OR SPEAKERS!!!

OFTEN HOME STEREO'S CAN'T HANDLE BIG PEAKS FROM EDRUMSETS........
          Music was my first love...

Comment

<html>

<head>
            <title>New Page 1</title>
            <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 3.0">
            </head>

<body>

<font face="Arial Black" size="7" color="#800000"><strong>What?</strong></font></p>
            </body>
            </html>
            Robert

Comment

pretty funny guys
              E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
              A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

Hi Brett. It's simple. The outputs of the brain require a 1/4 male connection. The inputs of your stereo typically require an RCA-type male connection. Depending on which type of cable you will be connecting will determine the type of adapters you will need. On my rig I have my connections from the brains L & R Master Out to my stereo's L & R Tape In. Start with very low volumes on both units and increase to taste.

-----
                -~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brettfener:

"PLEASE KEEP THE EXPLANATIONS SIMPLE FOR I AM ONLY A DRUMMER".

Yikes..that doesnt say much about Drummers!
                  Hopefully this isn't how you really feel. If you are truly a "Drummer" than consider yourself talented and gifted.

Comment

Marc, you must be a teacher, for you are the only one that actually gave easy, sound advice. Believe it or not, I don't think I even have a "tape in". I will look again. My receiver is a sony str de335 if that helps anyone out there. Like I said before, it is not that bad of a receiver. I know I should be able to do this but something is not working out.

SORRY IF THE CAPPS OFFENDED ANYONE. I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW TOUCHY DRUMMERS WERE.

Thanks (hopefully),

Brett

Comment

Brett,

I have a Sony STR-D350Z. There are pushbuttons on the front, activating the sound for the device plugged into the appropriate input in the back. If yours is set up this way, here's what you do: get a stereo rca cord (one red, one black on each end), plug one red and one black (same end) into their own mono-quarter inch-male-to rca female adapter plugs. The quarter inch plugs go into the drum module r/l main outs, red to right. Plug the rca end into an input in the back of your reciever, red to right. These are labeled tuner, tv/sat, cd, phono, video, etc. Then push the SAME (tv/sat, tuner, etc.) button on the front. Turn the stereo volume off before you do this. Now turn the drum module volume up all the way and SLOWLY raise the stereo volume knob. Play away.

If your stereo reciever is similar to mine, this should work. Good luck.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jg52 (edited March 30, 2001).]
                      jg52

Comment

Originally posted by brettfener:
                        Marc, you must be a teacher, for you are the only one that actually gave easy, sound advice. Believe it or not, I don't think I even have a "tape in". I will look again. My receiver is a sony str de335 if that helps anyone out there. Like I said before, it is not that bad of a receiver. I know I should be able to do this but something is not working out.

Thanks (hopefully),

Brett

Hi Brett. I looked on the web for info on your sony. I was hoping to find a closeup of the rear-panel. No luck. However, according to the specs, this unit will work for you. The specs say it has 3 audio L & R Inputs and 1 audio L & R Ouput. My hunch is that 2 of the inputs are for a cd player and a phonograph. These typically do not require an output. However the 3rd one I am betting is for a tape recorder. Most tape recorders have L & R inputs for recording sound sources connected to your reciever (e.g. cd's, records, the radio or even the audio from a vcr or dvd) and L & R Outputs for playback of what you have recorded. The reviever will have a similar pair of L & R In/Outs (in reverse : L & R Ins of reciever connect to L & R Outs of tape deck/L & R Outs of reciever connect to L & R Ins of the tape deck). If you have maxed out your reciever with all of the components it was designed to control, you will have to either get another amp (preferred) or disconnect one of your inputs in order to connect the drum brain (messy). If you do the latter choose to disconnect the cd or the tape deck. It is recommended that the phono input only be used for a phonograph. Refer to the owners manual for additional data. If you do not have one, we'll have to go step-by-step and we can go off-line and communicate via e-mail.

Good Luck,
                        -~

Comment

Hey Brett,

Did you solve the hook-up problem? Just curious.

Jay
                          jg52

Comment

Ok, you guys stuck with me untill I finally got it right.

Patience is not my middle name.

Thanks for all the help.

Brett

Comment

Working...
                            X