Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Unwanted rim shot on PD-120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted rim shot on PD-120

Right, I'm a new V-Drum user so bear with me! Depending on the sensitivity of the snare, when I hit it pretty hard right on the sweet spot I get a rim shot going off as well as the snare. It's quite regular, so I don't think it's a pad malfunction, but I don't see why this would be set up to happen, it doesnt happen on any acoustic set I've ever played. Anyway advice would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment I've had to turn off the rim shot which is a shame.

Originally posted by pixiemalone:
    Right, I'm a new V-Drum user so bear with me! Depending on the sensitivity of the snare, when I hit it pretty hard right on the sweet spot I get a rim shot going off as well as the snare. It's quite regular, so I don't think it's a pad malfunction, but I don't see why this would be set up to happen, it doesnt happen on any acoustic set I've ever played. Anyway advice would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment I've had to turn off the rim shot which is a shame.

What are your rim and snare sensitivity settings?
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Wow that was quick! The sensitivity for both is on 2, I find much more and it goes off if you sneeze!

Comment

Try tweaking with the threshold a bit.

Ash what the hell, maybe its Roland pad it self. Some times the pad is the first place to start with. I don't know, Ií am using Hart pads, no problem.

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

The sensitivity for both is on 2, I find much more and it goes off if you sneeze!
          Could be several different settings. Sens of 2 should not be causing your problem. I'm not home so can't help much from here.

Do you have the TD-10 or TD-10 expanded?

The expanded unit has rim click and rim shot sounds. Which are we talking about (if you have the exp. unit)?

Did it work ok for a while or did it do this from the start?

Assuming you are using trigger bank one, and you don't mind reinitializing your trigger bank settings, why don't you copy the preset bank one settings to the user settings for bank one and see if that helps? (it's something like... setup - select trigger bank 1 - tools - copy - dial in preset trigger bank 1 as copy from and user trigger bank 1 as copy to).
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll give what you described a try, though I must admit I haven't delved that far into the options yet. I have a standard TD-10 by the way, what does the upgrade do?

It happened when I switched pads so it isn't the pads themselves.

I hope it's just teething problems as I am new to electronic drums. I can already tell they kick ass though!

Comment

Try raising the head sensitivity to a higher setting than the rim. Also make sure you set the head tension, alot of people overlook this and it REALLY affects performance.

TDW-1= A much improved module, believe me. Too much too list off the top of my head. Go to the specifications page here.

Comment

It happened when I switched pads so it isn't the pads themselves.
                Ok, you have the TD-10. Are you using the Roland V-pro pads? When you change pads, you should make sure the pad type setting matches what you are using. Settings, Bank, Pad 2 should be 12A for a PD-120 snare. What are you using?

Comment

I'm using PD-120 and PD-100 V-Pro pads, but I used the pad type settings that were on the machine when I got it. Maybe they haven't been set up right, I'll check that out.

In reply to btnkbandit, I noticed a marked improvement when I tightened up the actual skins properly. Is there a tension setting in the TD-10, or are you talking about the skins themselves (as I thought)?

Comment

Do you have a manual? Look up Head Tension Adjustment. Yes there is a procedure to follow to tune the heads properly with the module. If I remember correctly(I'm at work). Press settings-trigger-options (I think)? You will see a setting for tight, normal, and loose. Choose to your liking. You then tap the head 1" from each lug and tune until the arrows on the graph are pointing center. On the nonexpanded TD-10 you only have this option for snare, tune each individually pad using the snare input.

Comment

Ah I see. My manual is being sent over from Japan as they have no more in the UK! It's gonna take about 8-10 weeks, can you believe it?

That might be very helpful to try out anyway, and I expect a lot of my problems will be sorted once I get the manual! Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yep, tuning will definitely have an impact. Since you have the standard V-pro pads, I wouldn't hesitate to reinitialize the trigger settings. I think starting with factory settings and adjusting sensitivity to your liking isn't going to steer you wrong. I hesitated telling you to do that with non-Roland pads which might require a lot of tweaking. Don't assume the settings didn't change. It wouldn't be the first time someone found a change they didn't think happened.

Comment

get the expansion card!!!!!! go to control room hit the rim and adjust the volume on the rim side if it triggers you will be able to decrease the volume.

Comment

Working...
                          X