Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Sensitivity/Snare-Tom suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitivity/Snare-Tom suggestions

I have a Two part question:
    1. Can anyone give me some good advice on sensitivity? I am in a live environment and currently the sensitivity is set on 13 with the TD10X. To achieve maximum dynamic and control, should I set the level lower to say 5? Seems like it's hard to do good builds on the toms/snare with the sens. that high?

2. Can anyone recommend a good snare with depth that will cut through the PA? We are runnning Snare/toms/kick through individual channels back to the board allowing control to the tech. However the toms and snare seem to still have no depth to them. I am a new v-drum user, have been playing acoustic for 15 years.

Thanks.

The snare should peak the meter at the hardest hits, which usually is a good sign that your sensitivity is set right. Than your builds on your snare & toms will be to your liking.

When you say - We are running Snare/toms/kick through individual channels back to the board allowing control to the tech. However the toms and snare seem to still have no depth to them. Are you saying that your kick and your snare and your toms have their own channels at the board? If not, try giving the snare its own channel then boost the EQ on the board.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
      The snare should peak the meter at the hardest hits, which usually is a good sign that your sensitivity is set right. Than your builds on your snare & toms will be to your liking.

When you say - We are running Snare/toms/kick through individual channels back to the board allowing control to the tech. However the toms and snare seem to still have no depth to them. Are you saying that your kick and your snare and your toms have their own channels at the board? If not, try giving the snare its own channel then boost the EQ on the board.

Yes, the snare/kick/toms are currently run to (3) separate channels on the board. They tech is complaining that the snare is not "fat" enough or not enough "crack" to it. Any suggestions on snares?

Comment

Change the snare head(s) type inside the TD Loose, Normal and Tight, to get a better sense what the change to the snare will be. Also, try to change the coating on the heads of the snare; you should be able to get a good, fat response from the snare that way also.

Try changing the mike position(s) as well and play with the tuning and the strainer for the snare. Other wise you really need to play with the sound selections and find the snares that you like and that already have some punch to them to begin with, then tweak them through the TD internal components.

Or have the soundman/tech boost the EQ from the board a bit more per channel to get a good response.

I have mentioned this before and I feel I will have to mention it again from time to time the TDs need help from external signal processors to get the fat punch to them.

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
          Change the snare head(s) type inside the TD Loose, Normal and Tight, to get a better sense what the change to the snare will be. Also, try to change the coating on the heads of the snare; you should be able to get a good, fat response from the snare that way also.
          Are you saying changing the loose, normal, tight settings in the module is actually going to change the sound? I don't think so. You need to sit down and read the manual.

Comment

Actually there is a difference, although I am using a Hart acusnare, I do hear a difference. Its not very big but its noticeable in the tone of the snare when the head type is changed. Maybe on other pads the change is not noticed when it comes to the sound it self and more of the feel is noticed only - which is the case!

And yes I have read and know the manual. This is just my experience with the snare. But changing the coat type on the snare will give a noticeable change to the snare sound, especially changing the coat to doughnuts and boosting the outboard mixers EQ and gain on the snare channel.

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

adjust the instrument eq and check the sensor for wear. get the expansion card its worth the money. my snare is fat and sassy or small and meek in all kits and settings how ever i prefer it to be im able to set it up.

Comment

Working...
              X