Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Need HELP and all information I can get..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP and all information I can get..

Hi All,

Yes I'm a newby, and after reading several posts i'm glad that I did beore I posted this post...

I recently sold my acoustic drumkit with much regret and am now looking into getting some E-Drums... I was in my local music shop and was bashing on the V-Customs with the TD-8 brain for around an hour... I was so impressed with the responsiveness and the feel of the whole setup...

In regards to what I want to use it for, basically I want to play all styles of music, however, I used to play in a heavy metal band would this pose any problems in regard to a heavy open hi-hat sound etc... I love the sounds you can get for the bass drum, toms etc...

Giging wise, I haven't been giging for quite sometime now, but in case of future developments does the V-Customs enable hasstle free adaption to club playing... or Hall, etc...

I guess the main reason why I like the V-drums in oposition to an acoustic is the fact that they are silent, which is a big issue, compact, and fun due to the endless possibilties etc...

I have read several posts with people complaing about the 8" pads... I do see the point, but as many people mentioned adaption is easy given time...

As we all know price is a big issue when considering v-drums... As I live in Australia prices for v-drums are quite extrodanary... though I believe in always purchasing a quality product.. and Roland is a brand which has been established for quite sometime now... My local drum shop as I only went to one so far has given me the RRP price as $6,195 though he said he cound do em for $5,195.. All these prices are in Australian Dollars... I like the idea of the V-Pro sets, however, doing a quick search in Australia for prices have estimates for this particular set around the $9,000 mark.. which is far to far... Is the price for the V-Custom reasonable.. i'm not sure what that works out to be in American Dollars...

One last question, does any body play double bass here? I want to add another bass drum pad and soforth so if anybody has any coments regarding that.. Would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks everyobody...

Hi Schmick,

check out ddrums.com too.

greetings,
    Pieter
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by schmick:
      One last question .....
      Didn't see the other questions.
      Robert

Comment

Hey Schmick,

Where abouts in Australia are you? I'm here in Sydney - I found the best price at Paramatta Guitar Factory: Mike down there is a great guy.

Also, if you are in Sydney, do you realise that Roland are holding an E-drum (so ie. V-drum!)expo all day on Saturday (31st March). It's $10 (but call Roland and they'll send you free tickets)it's at Pier 4, Hickson Road, Walsh Bay 2000. There are 5 pro drummers giving seminars, and Steve Fisher (the Man from the USA behind the V Drums) will be there to speak to. Here you'll get to play all the V-Family.

I haven't answered any of your questions, but if you're in Sydney on Saturday - I'm sure all your questions will be answered!

Andy
        Andy
        TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

HiOz,

I don't live in Sydney, I live in Brisbane. I am going to the clinic this Thursday night and as you mentioned Steve will be there to discuss all issues etc... I'm definately going to check it out....

What type of V-drums do you have etc... and what price ranges have you seen down there...

Thanks everybody..

Comment

schmick: Can you get hart products there? They work well with the roland brains and they are less expensive. The hart pads are 10" and have a lifetime waranty.

As far as playing live with edrums, it is possible but you will need to buy a monitor system ie. Mackie, or jbl g2. Also it helps to have some out board equipment like a sonic maximizer, a small mixer, ect.

IMO, the open hi hat sounds on the td8 are pretty good. Just remember that edrums are different than acoustics, and they will take a little getting used to. Once you do get used to them I think you will be happy playing them for all styles of music.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Kurt
            Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Hey Schmick...have you played/listened to DDrums yet by Clavia? DDrums and VDrums, while both electronic drums are quite different..both have pluses and minuses. The V's are more "turnkey" in that they have a built in sequencer and effects and COSM modeling. The DDrums on the other hand are sample based..and thus have more realistic and high quality drums sounds (IMHO). The DDrums are also less expensive than the VDrums. They have pads with real heads on them, so they are louder than VDrums, but not terribly. They have 1000 steps of dynamics vs. 127 for VDrums, meaning they track or "feel" more like real drums. They sell in the US for about $2500. Check out www.ddrum.com, www.ddrums.com. I was going to buy VDrums as well, but after seriously considering that I needed a kit for live work with a band, the DDrums won out, price, portability, durability and sound. Anyway I'm not dissing VDrums, I like them and would like to pick up a set cheap (ha!) for practice at home. Anyhow, good luck and listen/play as many kits/brands as you can!

Comment

The open hihat sound will be a problem on some drum modules.

Consider what you
                a. like
                b. want

If you use e-drums for home playing only I would buy the Roland and just have fun with all the sounds, edit-possibilities, sequencer, room settings, the possibility of playing along with a CD, et cetera.

For live playing I would consider the ddrum4 for the reasons Towerblock mensioned.
                Robert

Comment

putt, how are the cymbal sounds on the ddrum? Are they as realistic as the toms, snares, ect. I believe that I will eventually go with the ddrums for live and keep my rolands for practice. That is when I can afford to do so. Probably next winter.

Does Clavia have a upgrade comming out soon ie ddrum 5? If so maybe I could pickup a ddrum 4 cheap.

Kurt
                  Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Originally posted by rudi-mint:
                    putt, how are the cymbal sounds on the ddrum? Are they as realistic as the toms, snares, ect.
                    Please go to Clavia's website, download the PC Tool and some of their cymbal sounds (especially the MegaDrumkits). You will be surprised

Does Clavia have a upgrade comming out soon ie ddrum 5?
                    Rumours are going that there will be a ddrum5 at winter NAMM 2002. The same roumours also say there will be a demo this summer NAMM.

If so maybe I could pickup a ddrum 4 cheap.
                    Depends of what the dd5 will bring. The ddrum3 also is still more expensive than the ddrum4 because it still is a high-end system.
                    Robert

Comment

Thanks putt. Thanks for the info. I have been checking out the ddrum site a bit. My problem is I have dropped so much cash on my vdrums that it will be awhile before I can afford to buy anything else. I think the vdrums are good and I am happy with them, but I think the ddrums are what I am looking for for live situations. ie I want natural sounding drums with out all the extra stuff. I don't really use or need a sequencer. I just want a few good sounding sets.

BTW nice web site! I couldn't read it but it looked cool.

Kurt
                      Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by rudi-mint:
                        BTW nice web site! I couldn't read it but it looked cool.
                        I can't read it either
                        Robert

Comment

Rudi> dont forget that Musiciansfriend.com has a few refurbished kits left for $2099
                          Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
                          X