Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Flams on V-Drum Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flams on V-Drum Snare

I have a quick question. I have the Roland V-Pro with the TD-10X module. My problem is this. If I hit the snare with a single stroke I get a great sound but if I hit the snare with a flam stroke I get a “muffled” sound. I have tried different techniques of attacking the snare and have another drummer try to get a good flam sound but still am not having any luck. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to improve the flam sound.
    V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Sounds like you might be getting some slight comb filtering. Does it sound like it's phasing a bit as it dulls the sound?

If so, try to space the two hits of the flam just a bit further apart (in time, not space).

Redbrick
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Redbrick

What is comb filtering?
      Originally posted by redbrick:
      Sounds like you might be getting some slight comb filtering. Does it sound like it's phasing a bit as it dulls the sound?

If so, try to space the two hits of the flam just a bit further apart (in time, not space).

Redbrick
      V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

Sorry to butt in here, but I tried to email you the other day, redbrick, and it didn't work. I was going to tell you about this if you're interested. http://dev.woodward.edu/news/weckl.html
        We now return you to our regularly scheduled subject.

[This message has been edited by Arriguy (edited March 27, 2001).]

Comment

Do you mean the first sound from the flam stroke is muffled? This is normal, like on a real drum. Like: taDaaa

If the second sound from the flam stroke is muffled as well, then I would edit the trigger settings. There is a setting (forgot which knob) which adjusts the trigger time between 2 strikes.
          Robert

Comment

Comb filtering is where two sounds come very close together chorus a bit, usually in a bad way. This problem can happen, for example, if you record a guitar amp with two mic, one right on the speaker, the other a bit further away. The first one will get the sound a few ms before the other one. If this amount is in a certain range, it can cause frequency cencellations or frequency addition, which completely ruins thae sound (unless it's what you were going for).

In light of the other posts since, I think it is probably a combination of trigger settings and playing adjustments that are necessary to play the edrums over real ones. I have a problem like this with the hat head and rim trigger at the church, where one sometimes cuts the other off (makes it too short), which I suppose you could call muffling.

redbrick

PS Arriguy, thanks for the Weckl link...don't know if I can make it, but I want to.
            My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by redbrick:
              Comb filtering is where two sounds come very close together chorus a bit, usually in a bad way. This problem can happen, for example, if you record a guitar amp with two mic, one right on the speaker, the other a bit further away. The first one will get the sound a few ms before the other one. If this amount is in a certain range, it can cause frequency cencellations or frequency addition, which completely ruins thae sound (unless it's what you were going for).
              Isn't that 'phase-shifting'? Also, is comb-filtering what I hear when I use the same tom sound on two pads, with one tuned higher, and the other tuned lower?

------------------
              \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited March 28, 2001).]
              \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

I simply use the snare rim for flams! Radical, controversial etc. but an adequate alternative under the circumstances.

Main head simply cannot recreate flams as intended. Seems to cancel the first sample quickly... causing not much of a sound!

Anyway, hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Wakeford - www.halfpennystudios.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Wakeford (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                X