Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What's the difference between the new V-Session kit and V-Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between the new V-Session kit and V-Pro?

Is it just the cymbals? Are they any better?

Jason

I have played on the new cymbals and I think they were much better than the old ones. I used to hurt my wrists playing on those old cymbal blocks , so I was glad they finally upgraded them. Of course, they don't come cheap (no surprise there)!
    E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
    A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

So what are we supposed to do? Cough up another 2 grand for new cymbal pads?

Ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by DRulz:
        Is it just the cymbals? Are they any better?

Jason
        It's more than just the different cymbals. If I'm not mistaken, you get a KD-120 (replaces the perverted KD-7) and I also believe that the TD-10 comes with a V-cymbalized TDW-1. Oh yes, the color.

-----
        -~

Comment

So the new V-Cymbals won't work with the old TDW-1s? Or just not "optimized" for them?

Jason

Comment

The triple zone of the new ride will not work w/ the "old" TDW-1. You will have to settle for two zones....
            E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
            A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

What is the third zone?

Ride, Bell, and what else?

Comment

What is the third zone?

Ride, Bell, and what else?
                Actually, it's edge/bow/bell.

Go to the v-drum home page here and clik on the link and read up on it.

-----
                -~

Comment

Ok, just did... hmm..

One last question... What's COSM drum modeling? And does the old v-pro kit have it?

lalala...

Comment

DRulz:

"One last question... What's COSM drum modeling? And does the old v-pro kit have it?"

COSM - Composite Object Sound Modeling.

This allows drummers to precisely tune and shape individual drum size and depth,
                    head type, tuning, muffling, mike placement and snare strainer adjustment.

All V-drum modules the TD-10 & TD-8 have this feature.

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

In addition: some companies prefer real samples. Sampling a sound (recording it and then store it digitally into a memory) is the best way to achieve real sounding musical instruments.

The great drawback from this is that you already need a huge range of samples to cover one single instrument. Not only a simple sample for a two-dimensional drum sound, but also several samples for positional sensing (different sounds dependent on where you hit) and several samples for several volumes. And then we still talk about 1 single drum sound at one specific pitch. Most drummers want 200 (or more) drum sounds, which they can use with different tunings, with different drumheads, et cetera.

Companies therefore have found methods to help the rebuilding of realistic sounds or to hel the creation of synthetic (new) sounds. One of them is Roland's COSM. With this technique they use 1 basic sample and some computer generated models (what ever that may be... I am not a technician) to cover all variations which are in a sound. Hence you can change the drumhead type or microphone placement. And hence there is a rebuilt from the old analoque drum synth.

If you ask me, COSM is a good and flexible technique for covering drum sounds. The future will prove this. Companies who use pure samples,will have troubles all the time since they need a huge amount of them. And the prizes from memory chips are not expensive either.

However: untill now Roland's attempts to make a good drum sound not always are convincing...
                      Robert

Comment

Ok, cool.. so yeah, I will probably hunt for a bunch of single drum samples to put on top of Roland's computer-generated ones just for an added acoustic effect - even if it's subtle and despite Roland's great sounding module...

... just for the sake of doing it I guess.

Alrighty.. thanks guys.

Jason

Comment

DRulz

Get the V's first . . . enjoy . . . and then worry about what more sounds you need. I've had mine for six months now and I'm only just scratching the surface. I doubt you'll find an immediate need for additional sounds!

Just my 0.02.

Andy
                          Andy
                          TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I have the V's

Comment

I have the V's
                              You have the V's and you did not know what COSM is? .... you worry me Jason.

-----
                              -~

Comment

Working...
                              X