Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

KD 7 Machine Gunning :eek:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD 7 Machine Gunning :eek:

The other night during a performance, my KD 7 started machine gunning (continuous 16th notes). I immediately turned down the kick fader. Between songs I put on headphones and checked the output and it was back to normal. Two more times that night it happened again. Anyone know how to correct this? Would the trim pot. on the KD 7 be a sensitivity adjustment? Is this a trigger issue? Can this be adjusted via the TD 10?

Help!!!

Just a guess, maybe a loose solder connection in the kd7 or even a shorted cord?

Comment

I checked the possibility of it being the cord by switching cords with a new spare and was able to reproduce the problem even with the new cord . . .

I also took the KD 7 apart and inspected the piezzo solder joints. They looked fine (although a visual inspection does not reveal the whole story).

How bout' the trim potentiometer located on the front (back ?) of the KD 7. What does it adjust? I can't seem to locate my instructions for the KD 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenon:
        How bout' the trim potentiometer located on the front (back ?) of the KD 7. What does it adjust? I can't seem to locate my instructions for the KD 7.
        Let me get this straight... you have a knob of some kind on the kd-7? I'll have to check mine out when I get home... but I've never noticed anything like that, just the pos/neg switch for roland and non-roland

I imagine that it would adjust signal strength... but I'm just guessing at this point.

------------------
        \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 18, 2001).]
        \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Yes,the trim potentiometer is located inside of a ~ 1/4" hole cut into the KD 7 housing.

Check it out . . .

Xenon

Comment

Is that trim potentiometer located at the same electronic board as the pos/neg switch?
            I've messed with that before many times but never got the 16th m-gun effect you mentioned. Since you were able to reproduce this problem, the best way would be to get another KD7 and try to reproduce again. If still persist, then it's your module..
            (I dont have a TD8/10 so I can't help you there..)

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
            Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

I found out last night that the purpose for the trim pot. is to adjust ouput level. Normally this pot is set to max out (fully clockwise). When a second bass drum (KD 7) is added, you contect the two together using the "Mix-In" jack. The trim pot. then allows you to fine tune the outputs of the two to make them match.

This still doesn't explain the M-gunning effect however. Anybody else seen this or know what is causing it??

Xenon

Comment

Xenon, you may have already solved this problem by now. I have only just begun to mess around with MIDI using a MIDIMAN interface and a Power Mac. I experienced this
                Machine gunning effect you mentioned and it's right after turning on the "MIDI MIX" to ON. Reading the manual and it seems this turns on a "SOFT THRU" between MIDI IN and OUT connectors. From playing around with the MIDIMAN, it seems the MIDIMAN already has a SOFT THRU between IN and OUT MIDI connectors.
                (I could turn LOCAL CTRL to OFF and the SOUND block still sounds)
                So try turning off the MIDI MIX in the "MIDI" settings and see....
                Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Working...
                X