Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Other brand dual zone pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other brand dual zone pads

I didn’t mean to write a book here but I wanted to include plenty of details. There is actually a question at the end of this story so hang in there. I have a new expanded TD-10 module with Hart Dynamic’s best kit. Everything seems to work well except for one pad I am trying to add. It’s quite simple…I want to run a dual zone pad with a stereo cable into one of the Aux inputs. (Or any input for that matter.) I expect to be able to assign two separate instruments to head and rim and then trigger them independently. (For example, cowbell on head and woodblock on rim.) Since the TD-10 literature says “12 Dual Inputs” all over it, I figured this should work. I plugged it in and away I smacked. The head triggered fine but the rim did not. I moved it to other input channels and they all had the same trouble. I double checked my connections and even went through the software parameters. I called Roland Tech line and they said it should work this way. Naturally, after that call, I thought the pad was bad. I was preparing to call HDI to make good on the pad but I wanted to test things just a little further to confirm it. That was the only dual zone I had so I tried using it as a cymbal. The rim choke circuit worked perfect. That doesn’t make sense. Is the rim bad or not? Next I tried pairing up two single zone pads. I used a “Y" adapter and I made sure that the “tip, ring, sleeve” pin-out was correct. The head side triggered but the rim pad would not fire at all. Now, completely confused, I took the module to my local drum shop to test other dual pads. The drum shop did not have any Roland pads in stock but they dug out lots of other brands for me to try. None of them worked correctly either. Most triggered the same instrument whether we hit the rim or head. They all worked for chocking the cymbals but none would trigger a rim instrument separately. The folks there offered no explanation for this strange phenomenon. Okay now I suspect that the TD-10 inputs are all bad. But, how can that be??? My cymbals choke fine! My snare rim works right! Some dual zone pads play the head sound from the rim. What’s going on here? Can anyone explain this? I have yet to plug a Roland pad into this module. Could it be that they are different in some way? If so, does anyone have a PD-7 for sale cheap? Hell’s bells, maybe I should have just bought a real cowbell and woodblock for $20 each. Signed, Pulling my hair out in Pennsylvania.
    TD-17KV Kit, 2019 version

I am getting old, my eyes ain't what they used to be and I had a long day. I read your post twice and darned if I can find just what model pad you are talking about. Did I miss it or is it buried somewhere in the text?

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited March 15, 2001).]
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo, I think he is trying to add another Hart pad.

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
        Boingo, I think he is trying to add another Hart pad.

I saw that, but was looking to see if it was an FSR/piezo model? I guess it must be if it worked in another input. Sorry, just put in a 14 hr day in the salt mines - the old brain's in a fog. I'd say the cord isn't stereo or the input that isn't triggering has a volume setting at zero for the rim or a really wacked out trigger setting.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

No, my bad. Also a long day! There is also that…I forgot.

GoBrinton, what Boingo said.

------------------
          szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited March 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited March 15, 2001).]
          Studio

Comment

Using a splitter will get you nowhere. The way the TD-10 is setup to access the rim sound the pad must be as Boingo sad, a piezo/fsr type pad (pd-7/pd-9, Pintech 102, Hart?). The snare input is the only two piezo input on the module. But...don't expect the snare input to work with a splitter either, it requires both head and rim piezos to be triggered at the same time (rim shot) to access its rim sound. Once you get a handle on this search Shack Adapter for furthering the inputs.

Comment

Working...
            X