Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Zendrum and TD8/TD10/Td10ex anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zendrum and TD8/TD10/Td10ex anyone?

Hey guys,
    I noticed while doing a search here that a few people posing here use the Zendrum. Can any one of those users share their experiences with their instruments especially in conjunction with the Roland brains, upsides, downsides, shortcomings, strengths, etc? I'm looking into getting one with either a TD8 or a TD10 (ex), anyone have that configuration?

TIA,
    Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Before I ordered mine, the Zendrum boss man (who is based about an hour away)offered to come to my place to plug in to my TD-8 for a demo. We connected it to the MIDI in and it functioned at about 95%, that is to say that the triggers corresponded to just about all of the kit settings, except for a few minor mis-matches. He was able to play it without making any changes in the default setup. In fact, he even played it melodically with the piano sounds in the TD-8! The only downside is getting used to being tethered with a wire. MIDI wireless units are WAY unaffordable.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanto:
      Before I ordered mine, the Zendrum boss man (who is based about an hour away)offered to come to my place to plug in to my TD-8 for a demo. We connected it to the MIDI in and it functioned at about 95%, that is to say that the triggers corresponded to just about all of the kit settings, except for a few minor mis-matches. He was able to play it without making any changes in the default setup. In fact, he even played it melodically with the piano sounds in the TD-8! The only downside is getting used to being tethered with a wire. MIDI wireless units are WAY unaffordable.
      Thanks mate! How is the sensitivity of the Zendrum? Have you or anyone else here had any experience with the Zendrum and the TD10?

Comment

The Zendrum is extremely sensitive. You can set the sensitivity just like the Roland brains and control crosstalk between triggers. Ask them any and all questions at www.zendrum.com . I'm not sure if they monitor this forum.

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance! (I guess I'm not the only one in this boat) - what is a Zendrum?

Anyone?!

Andy.
          Andy
          TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Try this
            http://www.zendrum.com/

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

The Zendrum is a lightning fast, powerful trigger device. I haven't found any trigger problems at all. In fact, the only problem I have is trying to play the Zendrum. Steep learning curve (try to play open/closed hihat, snare and kick with your hands, while standing up and singing)! David, at Zendrum, is extremely helpful and answers e-mail very quickly.

Jay
              jg52

Comment

Wow! Pricey little thing, isn't it...though it looks like it could be fun. Is it the same thing that 'Future Man' uses with Bela Fleck?

DJourg

Comment

Probably. He was in with Zendrum during the development of the instrument. The whole story is on the Zendrum website.

Jay
                  jg52

Comment

Originally posted by jg52:
                    The Zendrum is a lightning fast, powerful trigger device. I haven't found any trigger problems at all. In fact, the only problem I have is trying to play the Zendrum. Steep learning curve (try to play open/closed hihat, snare and kick with your hands, while standing up and singing)! David, at Zendrum, is extremely helpful and answers e-mail very quickly.

Jay
                    Jey,
                    David's been extremely helpful in answering my questions, but he also suggested getting in touch with Zendrum owners and asking you guys about your experiences. He's also hooked me up with an owner near me, and I wanted to get as many user opinions together as possible before I check it out.
                    So you'd say that apart from the obvious learning curve you'd thoroughly recommend it due to it's triggering performance?

Comment

DJourg:

The Zendrum that Future Man uses is not really a Zendrum but a homemade triggering device called the "drumitar". I believe that Future Man was touring with this instrument before the Zendrum even existed. It's really wild to see him perform and if you get a chance to see the Flecktones you most definitely should go. I saw them at the House of Blues in Orlando, FL last month and they put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. If you like improv you won't be disappointed.
                      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

mcconaghy,

The Zendrum is incredible! Lighting fast and very powerful. It's built like a high-end guitar. Beautiful craftsmanship and finish. It's much easier to play sitting rather than standing. However, there's no continuous controller hihat, so you need 4 triggers for open, closed, foot and slosh.

I thought the price was very high until I received mine. It's worth it to me. You can see mine (tobacco sunburst) at mackie.com, Mackietone News, Blessed Mixings, Testament article and Jay Best.

If you need any more info, just fire away.

Jay
                        jg52

Comment

mcconaghy,

The Zendrum is incredible! Lighting fast and very powerful. It's built like a high-end guitar. Beautiful craftsmanship and finish. It's much easier to play sitting rather than standing. However, there's no continuous controller hihat, so you need 4 triggers for open, closed, foot and slosh.

I thought the price was very high until I received mine. It's worth it to me. You can see mine (tobacco sunburst) at mackie.com, Mackietone News, Blessed Mixings, Testament article and Jay Best.

If you need any more info, just fire away.

Jay
                          Cheers Jay!
                          David from Zendrum has told me to get in touch with Jordan Lipp, who's featured on the Zendrum site, so I'll hopefully be demo'ing it soon. So far I've heard nothing but praise about it, and I'm generally game for anything that's different.
                          I don't think I'd have a problem with using 4 triggers for the hihat sounds, it's something I guess you get used to pretty quickly once you get the hang of the instrument, I guess.
                          How heavy is yours, sort of Les Paul weight range, or heavier/lighter?
                          Stu

Comment

Hi Stu,

My Zen is about 6.5 lbs, rock maple. As I remember, that's lighter than a Les Paul.

Jay
                            jg52

Comment

Hi Stu,

My Zen is about 6.5 lbs, rock maple. As I remember, that's lighter than a Les Paul.

Jay
                              That doesn't sound too bad, cheers, mate!

Comment

Working...
                              X