Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

I'm running out of memory fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm running out of memory fast

I've used something like ten user patterns, with an average of about 12 to 15 measures a piece, and I'm already running out of memory.
    And it makes me wonder how much memory the seven hundred preset patterns, which as a composer of original material I'm never going to use, take up.
    What I would like to do is get rid of all the presets and change them into user patterns that will be useful to me. Can anyone give some info pertaining to my problem with memory shortage.

Use a software sequencer. The Roland sequencer is fine to practice with at home. Not for serious use. You can't even programm songs with it.
    Robert

Comment

The Memory for the sequencer is small to start with but try using the Data Thin function for the HH pedal as this takes up lots of memory.

Comment

Aloha puttenvr,

I'm interested in possibly doing the same....what software sequencer are you referring to?
        DMPro rookie, TD10 newbie

Comment

I am not referring to anything since I never sequence anything but from other people I heard this is the best way to go.

Just search on the web for sequencer there are many freeware and shareware programs on this planet
          Robert

Comment

I use Cakewalk Pro 9. It's a powerful package both for MIDI and audio recording. Also see Cubase and Logic Audio:
            www.cakewalk.com

www.steinberg.de
            www.emagic.de

You can download trial versions and see for yourself which one suits best your needs.

Pierre.

[This message has been edited by boismenu (edited February 20, 2001).]

Comment

Hey, EliGunn, nice to hear from someone in my neck of the woods....

I have to disagree with Putt's comment that the TD-8's sequencer is not for serious use. I think it really boils down to how much equipment you plan on using to compose and trigger the sequences in a live environment. At least this is the case for me personally. Before I got my TD-8, I composed my sequences using an outboard unit (Yamaha QY10), and the finished sequences were then transferred to floppy via an Alesis DataDisk (which is a combination MIDI data filer/sequence playback module). The DataDisk in return sent the MIDI information through a MIDI patchbay and out to two keyboard sound modules and two percussion sound modules. Certainly, software-based sequencing is much more comprehensive, and I plan on writing all mine in that fashion in the immediate future. In the meantime, I've found that being able to real-time record or download MIDI sequences from any compatible device directly into the TD-8 and trigger them in real time using the V-drum pads to be a pretty sweet deal. Memory problems notwithstanding (and I'm dealing with them too ), I think you can get a lot of mileage from it with as little as a single cheapo MIDI keyboard to write the sequences with. Even the built-in instrument sounds can get you quality results, and I think the factory preset patterns bear that out......

Of course, if you have a ton of MIDI gear and/or don't plan on using the TD-8 live, then everything I just said is kind of a moot point.....
              TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Working...
              X