Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Hot Spots again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Spots again

I have posted on this(some time ago) and have read every post related to this.
    Has anyone found a way to really minimize snare hot spots? I have a TD20 and am doing some recording. I have adjusted scan time, tightened the snare head and there is an are in the middle of my snare about the size of a quarter. Man, if I hit that spot the recording clips....its louder than Hell! I know some of you guys have had success with this issue and I hope you can help...
    We had some good issue by Feefer on this, but for some real stupid reason all of his stuff was wiped off of the board. Thats another topic for another day.....
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

I still have the same problem with a hot spot as you do and also tried all the various tweaks to get rid of it. I've even tried to set up the snare drum so it forces me to play a little right or left of center, but I still get the louder notes once in a while. if I'm using my sequencer I can go in and easily edit the bad note but when I record direct it means punching in the part, which can be pain.

What amazes me is when I watched the original videos from the NAMM show and saw the drummers whacking the crap out of the drums I can't understand why you never hear that loud honk that comes from hitting the hot spot. They never hit the dead center of the snare? I doubt it, so there must be something they've done to dial out the hot spot or they are the most accurate drummers on the planet. Not.
    Last edited by rentadrummer; 05-01-05, 09:04 PM.
    Ron

Comment

Me too!

I have spent a lot of time trying to eliminate this. I am beginning to wonder if this is a case of the "Emperor’s New Clothes" ... I don't see 'um.

I would love for those that have been successful in eliminating the phantom hot spot to more fully describe their tweaks ... like 5 full turns of lugs after finger tight and scan time of ???, etc.

I have adjusted somewhat by moving the snare to a position that lets the natural fall of my left hand to stroke the snare off-center. But, this isn't completely reliable when you get busy. I have also played with the velocity curves ... i.e. use "loud". It limits the grace notes but gives a pretty consistent snare volume.

Finally, I have had some success using the snare/rim instruments sound for the snare head. It gives a nice crack.

Comment

Here are my settings for my snare. I doubt if they are all ideal, but at least I can tell you that I do NOT have a hotspot at all.

Sensitivity: 2

Threshold: 5

Curve: Linear

Scan Time: 2.0

Retrigger cancel: 4

Mask Time: 12

Hope that helps.
        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Thos die help some Ginger...I thank you. I will play with these settings some more. I still have a hotspot. do you have the TD20 kit? some snares the spot is more pronounced....the Maple Kit has a horrible hot spot...
          Presonus Firepod
          Reaper

Comment

Ginger,

What is your playing style: Cool cat, big dawg, or gorilla?

Secondly, how tight is tight on the snare head?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Junius
              Ginger,

What is your playing style: Cool cat, big dawg, or gorilla?

Secondly, how tight is tight on the snare head?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

I think I hit pretty hard, unfortunately.

Besides having that titanic strength that everybody else is always talking about , I am prone to some arthritis in my hands, so I use the largest diameter sticks on the market.

Big sticks means big impact, usually.

The combination of the loud stick impact and the abnormally awful percussive skills I have mastered over the years, is a gruesome spectacle indeed, and has been known to cause actual internal bleeding in careless onlookers who failed to heed the warning signs posted in the music room.

I am as guilty as anybody else of laying into it when the music gets loud and heavy-duty, too. That's why I set my sensitivity so low - so i can hit as hard as I want without worrying that I am overloading the module.

My snare head is fairly tight, I would say. It is probably twice as tight as the typical music store demo kit, which is strung way too loose. I daresay others here string their snares tighter.

Theoretically, we should be able to do it by pitch. When your drums are tight enough, they play at high-pitched tones, like a ball you dribble on a tight tennis racket.

Someone with perfect pitch should tell us that a 12" v-drum should be "tuned" to the fourth D above high C, etc, don't you think?

Best regards,

GB

Comment

I have a TD-3 with a PD-80r and experience the same thing. At the beginning I though it was DFHS making that noise, but now I see I'm not alone with this issue.

I have never experienced a hot spot issue on my DDrum 4se so I couldn't help to think it was something other than the hardware.

Will try those settings and see what happens.

Comment

Hello all, the only way you can really fix hotspots is to play around with the module, adjusting many of the options to try and reduce those annoying high pitched strikes, but you will have to make adjustments varying with each different snare type, as they are all different, as you said some snares aren't as bad as others,

but i thought i would just attach this file to explain why these hot spots are happening, i don't know if it will help you!!

its a paint file
                  Attached Files
                  td8 acoustic kit

Comment

Ben, thats a cool graphic and I appreciate the time you took to make it.

But the hotspot issue is not about hitting the cone. I have no hotspot on my snare, regardless of what kit I use, or where I strike the head.

The volume and tone of my snare(s) change as I hit from the exact center out to the rim, but it changes in a linear fashion.

The problem is one of module settings, as well as having a basically sound physical set up of your drum, ie, head tension, new cones - VERY important, no loose connections, etc.

If folks have a hotspot on only some of their kits, I would urge them to note whether the compressor is used on the non-hotspot kits, and what the settings might be, so they can copy them over to their other kits.

I have a feeling most problems are from a lack of compression, sensitivity way too high, scan time and mask time way off, and bad cones.

I used to have the dreaded hotspot on my kit - I haven't seen the problem in years now, so there is hope.

Comment

Besides having that titanic strength that everybody else is always talking about , I am prone to some arthritis in my hands, so I use the largest diameter sticks on the market.
                      Until recently I used the Vic Firth SD1 which is a pretty big stick. I needed the large diameter like you, Vic Firth recently came out with a new drumstick designed for e-drums. I wrap the ends with tennis racquet tape, Jmans idea I think, until I get the diameter needed for a comfortable grip. This made a big difference in the impact on the pads. It took a few practice sessions to get used to the smaller, lighter stick but I really like them now.

Comment

Man oh Man- I have been drumming all day and trying to fix this problem. Snare is tighter than Hell, played with settings, curves, sensitivity, scan time, threshold, switched my drums around...and this hot spot is as dominant as ever. The next company that produces a product that makes this go away gets my business. Hart already has a good rack and good service, if they beat this thing off I go. That would be three things that Roland doesn't have....lol.
                        Yeah, I am pissed...I am going to go cut the grass. At this point, its a lot more fun than drumming...SG
                        Presonus Firepod
                        Reaper

Comment

Steve, I am playing a Hart Pro Snare 3.2, and as others stated in the past... I really can't complain about a hotspot. When I still had my TD-10 kit, I had the hot-spot problem (especially in the beginning) and tried to avoid the center of the head. When I first had my Hart snare, I noticed that I didn't have the hot-spot issue, BUT it was very annoying at first to me, that you can féél the trigger, but that is just something you get used to. Now it doesn't bother me at all. A couple of weeks ago, when I went to the store to test some speakers, I played the TD-20BK set, and the hot spot (store-settings) was huge... So I've only got one advice for you, try to go to a store that carries Hart products and try their snare... I like it better than the Roland-snare... feels great (just the trigger you feel in the beginning, but I don't even notice it anymore, unless I really pay attention to it), bigger playing surface and no hotspot, at least on mine...

Stijn
                          'lectric drumma
                          Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Hey Steve . I am sorry for your problem .. I would suggest a defective pad .. but after reading you even switched the pads around .... I have the older generation pads (Pd100s.. pd120s) and no complains so far .. if it is really this bad .. try drumma's suggestion .. Hart ... I had a Pro snare and noticed absolutelly no signs of hot spot

Pim
                            Last edited by Pimenta; 06-05-05, 03:34 PM.
                            Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have never been able to eliminate the hot spot problem either. Not with the TD-8/PD-120 I used to have, not with the Hart Pro snare, not with my new TD-20, upgraded to 1.08, not even with my new PD-125 snare. I agree that module settings can lessen and worsen the problem, as well as head tension, but IMO there is nothing that can eliminate the problem completely. As long as there is a single point of contact speaking for the entire drumhead, that single point will naturally "spike" compared to the rest of the drumhead. The only real solution is to move beyond this limitation of design. I think the solution will be found in "smart" mesh, where the sensor is built right into the mesh, able to sense both velocity and position anywhere on the drum head. Don't know how long it will take for this to happen though.
                              Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Working...
                              X