Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-27 - drumming without multicore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-27 - drumming without multicore

I new to edrums so my questions could by dummy, but
    Normally Roland TD-27 needs special multicore to operate.
    I read that it is better to have spare cable but,
    My question is .. can a play configure module to work without 'multicable'.
    I have a 2 digital ride, digital snare which do not need any analog cabel.
    There are 4 stereo TRS trigger input (crash2, aux1-3).
    so for ex.:
    - 1st for a kick
    - 2-3rd for a hhat
    - 4 for a tom
    Maybe not the biggest set .. but you can play, and in some cases is what i need.
    As it goes for a kick, tom hhat cymbal - it is obvious - it will work, but what with hhat controller ?
    can I assign hhat to aux2 ? and if yes is it possible to make a cable split that have hh controller
    and kick so i will have more inputs.

I'm not sure what your concern is.

The TD-27 Cable Loom supports 8 Pads - Kick (TS), Snare (TRS), Hi-Hat (TRS) & Hi-Hat Control (TS), Crash-1 (TRS), Toms 1-2-3 (TRS), and 3-Zone Ride (TRS & TS), with an additional four TRS Inputs for Crash-2 and Aux 1-2-3.

The 8 pads are only presented on the 25 Pin D-Type Connector, so it is not possible to connect them without the Cable Loom, or you could manufacture one if you have the soldering skills.

However, if you are going to use the Digital inputs, the equivalent Analog Inputs are disabled.
    You can only use one Digital Ride as a 3-Zone Ride.
    You would have to configure the second as a 2-Zone Crash.
    That would disable the Ride & Ride Control and Crash 1 cables.
    The Digital Snare will disable the Snare cable.

You CanNOT use one of the Crash 2, Aux 1-2-3 Inputs for the Hi-Hat Control, as the electronic circuitry is completely different, so you would need to use the D-Type connection for that.

No, it is NOT "possible to make a cable split that have hh controller and kick so i will have more inputs."

Do you plan to use this kit on the road? Move it around all the time? Disconnect and reconnect the cables often? Or will you install it and leave it?

If you are not disconnecting the Cable Loom often, then there is really no issue with the Loom. Even moderate disconnection / reconnection is no issue.

If constantly on the road, then it would probably be a good idea to have a spare, but then you'd also be wise to carry spare USB cables and TRS cables...

You could make a Mini Cable Loom with 25-Pin D-Type Connector and TS / TRS sockets (Or cut down a Cable Loom and connect TS / TRS sockets). thre was a thread somewhere fro someone who had done this.

If you ever had a problem, you can get a replacement Loom here for $80.

https://www.drum-tec.com/multicore-c...r-roland-td-27

Comment

I'm not sure what your concern is.

The TD-27 Cable Loom supports 8 Pads - Kick (TS), Snare (TRS), Hi-Hat (TRS) & Hi-Hat Control (TS), Crash-1 (TRS), Toms 1-2-3 (TRS), and 3-Zone Ride (TRS & TS), with an additional four TRS Inputs for Crash-2 and Aux 1-2-3.

The 8 pads are only presented on the 25 Pin D-Type Connector, so it is not possible to connect them without the Cable Loom, or you could manufacture one if you have the soldering skills.

However, if you are going to use the Digital inputs, the equivalent Analog Inputs are disabled.
      You can only use one Digital Ride as a 3-Zone Ride.
      You would have to configure the second as a 2-Zone Crash.
      That would disable the Ride & Ride Control and Crash 1 cables.
      The Digital Snare will disable the Snare cable.

You CanNOT use one of the Crash 2, Aux 1-2-3 Inputs for the Hi-Hat Control, as the electronic circuitry is completely different, so you would need to use the D-Type connection for that.

No, it is NOT "possible to make a cable split that have hh controller and kick so i will have more inputs."

Do you plan to use this kit on the road? Move it around all the time? Disconnect and reconnect the cables often? Or will you install it and leave it?

If you are not disconnecting the Cable Loom often, then there is really no issue with the Loom. Even moderate disconnection / reconnection is no issue.

If constantly on the road, then it would probably be a good idea to have a spare, but then you'd also be wise to carry spare USB cables and TRS cables...

You could make a Mini Cable Loom with 25-Pin D-Type Connector and TS / TRS sockets (Or cut down a Cable Loom and connect TS / TRS sockets). there was a thread somewhere from someone who had done this.

If you ever had a problem, you can get a replacement Loom here for $80.

https://www.drum-tec.com/multicore-c...r-roland-td-27

Comment

kurz you can build a breakout box combined with a 25pin D-Sub cable to connect to the TD-27 like this, for using the module with single cables.

F536A432-7CC4-4171-A65F-E7830207C3A9.jpeg
        Last edited by AEHybridDrums; 06-07-21, 01:13 AM.

Comment

AEHybridDrums, could you confirm whether the Pin-Out for the TD-27 is the same as the TD-25? TD-25-dsub-pinout.png

Comment

Yep, same.

Comment

Thx for that.

Comment

Thanks for your comments ....
                My idea was to 'not use' a multicore cable.
                I know you can purchase, buy ... rent ... etc.

I have a 2 kit - one at home, one where i practice.
                but only 1 module (TD-27) .
                My full kit is in a practice room - all the pads, cymbals, kick etc.
                I use it with cable snake "multicore"
                At home I have my acoustic drums triggered - and wanted to use other pads
                input to not interfere with first kit inputs.
                I will use my snare (digital) and cymbal (digital) on both setups.
                I do not want to take my all gear .. just a few items as written above.
                as i used all the inputs from multicore - on 1st kit,
                I do not need it at home (2nd kit)

Comment

Originally posted by kurz View Post
                  Thanks for your comments ....
                  My idea was to 'not use' a multicore cable.
                  I know you can purchase, buy ... rent ... etc.

I have a 2 kit - one at home, one where i practice.
                  but only 1 module (TD-27) .
                  My full kit is in a practice room - all the pads, cymbals, kick etc.
                  I use it with cable snake "multicore"
                  At home I have my acoustic drums triggered - and wanted to use other pads
                  input to not interfere with first kit inputs.
                  I will use my snare (digital) and cymbal (digital) on both setups.
                  I do not want to take my all gear .. just a few items as written above.
                  as i used all the inputs from multicore - on 1st kit,
                  I do not need it at home (2nd kit)

I‘m doing the same thing. Several kits, all wired with single cables for different modules with multicore and single cable inputs and i bring my modules, the little breakout box and a 2m 25pin cable to the different kits.

With a breakout box and a 25pin cable (on both sides, no Roland multicore) you can connect the TD-27 just with the 25pin (D-Sub serial PC cable) to the breakout box and only need to carry the one cable and the breakout box. You can leave the whole cable management to the different kits. No need for the Roland multicore cable anymore.

And as already mentioned, you can not combine any AUX input with the hihat controller, you will need the multipin input for some rudimental functions of the module.
                  Last edited by AEHybridDrums; 06-08-21, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AEHybridDrums View Post

kurz you can build a breakout box combined with a 25pin D-Sub cable to connect to the TD-27 like this, for using the module with single cables.

F536A432-7CC4-4171-A65F-E7830207C3A9.jpeg
                    Did you have to adjust any trigger settings after switching to the breakout box? I just started using one and for some reason the head/rim balance on all my toms is messed up. Easy enough to tweak, I guess, I'm just trying to understand why it happens.

Comment

Experienced that a bit too at first connection but it disappeared after i checked if all plugs sit correctly in the jacks, also the 25pin cable. Maybe any wires have contact at your box inside or to the box (if you use a metal enclosure). Also make sure all soldered connections at the 25pin plug don’t have contact to each other.
                      Last edited by AEHybridDrums; 06-09-21, 05:35 AM.

Comment

nice box ...
                        Finally I ordered a new cable .. just to have spare - but your idea with the box is superb.
                        Now i prepare to make my version of breakout box - but limited to only a few inputs (hhhat, toms)
                        so it will be more compact.

Comment

The box is about as big as a smartphone or a bit bigger than the Roland power supply. and i used even two more split inputs.

Comment

Thinking outside the box (pun not intended and intended at the same time) you could use an eDRUMin 10 connected to the USB MIDI as the Breakout Box if you didn't want to make one.
                            Single USB cable... 10 I/4" TRS Inputs, and some intresting features in the eDRUMin. You would set the eDRUMin MIDI Notes to the same notes as the TD-27 Pads. ($329 for 10 splittable ports)

eDRUMin 4 would work with a USB MIDI Host such as DOREMIDI USB MIDI Host (this functionality is built in to the eDRUMin 10) ($149 + $50 = $200 for 4 splittable ports)
                            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001202281136.html

Comment

Do i really need that usb host ? As i assume i can connect it directly to Roland TD-27 ... a use onboard sounds. .. but to be honest it looks more complicated than making my breakout.

Comment

Working...
                              X