Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland CY-15R Ride with Strike Pro Module & Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland CY-15R Ride with Strike Pro Module & Alternatives

Hey,

I've been trying to get my Roland ride to work properly with the Strike Pro module. Striking the bow hard enough triggers the bell instead. The Roland ride works fine with the TD-50 I have, so it's not the pad itself.

I read elsewhere that the Roland ride combines triggers, so that could be the issue.

I've tried adjusting the crosstalk, etc. to no avail.

I really prefer the Roland ride as it's much more sensitive than the Alesis.

Save for being able to use the Roland ride - what other 3 zone ride brands would work with the Strike Pro module AND be more sensitive than the Alesis ride.

Thanks!

Do you have the Edge Connected to Ride 1 Input and the other Bow/Bell connection connected to Ride 2 Input?

Comment

i've used the alesis dmpad16, the roland CY-12R, and tried a stealth drums dual piezo/1 switch trigger on a triggered LV cymbal.

the stealth trigger bell/edge zonez don't work with the strike. the bell works a bit if i run it through a roland and then MIDI it to the strike but i can't get the sensitivity settings right. edge doesn't do ****. bow triggers fine.

the dmpad and cy-12 work about the same on the strike and on the roland. bow/edge trigger fine, bell i am not happy with as it's way too inconsistent.

the ATV ride is out of my budget and don't imagine i'll get any better from any other setup so for now just using a separate diy pad via MIDI as a sort of stage bell to trigger bell sound.
      Alesis STRIKE, PD-105/125 rack toms, 14" PDP MX floor tom diy single zone trigger, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, DMPad14, PCY155, PCY130, alesis DMPad16 ride, L80 hi-hat stealth drum trigger, with goedrum hi hat controller. EZ2+AD2.

Comment

The stealth drums dual piezo/1 switch trigger is not consistent with the Roland CY-xxR triggers, which are 1 Piezo, 2 Switches.
        I expect if you plug in the Piezo/Switch cable (probably the Edge Cable) to one or the other of the Ride Inputs, then I think you should be able to get the Bow and either, the bell will sound the bell, the edge will sound the edge, the bell will sound the edge, or the edge will sound the bell... I think the other Pezo will not work as it is not compatible with the Roland working. Then you can ajust the Instrument sound accordingly.

I took a look at the Manual but I don't see a section on setting Pad Type or Trigger Bank...

On a Roland Module, if you change the second Ride Input from Pad Type Ride-Ctrl to CY-xx in the Trigger Bank, it will decouple the Piezo, and then you would be able to treat the Piezo/Switch as a Dual Zone Pad and the Piezo on its own as a Single Zone Pad, and assign an instrument accordingly; i.e. a Bell sound on the Head of the second trigger which (I think) is the Piezo in the Bell...
        I don't know how to do this on the Pro...

Unfortunately, the lack of sensitivity of the Bell switch on Roland CY-xxR is a known issue. It takes a strong hit, and there is not much in the way of dynamics available. It relies on the Bow Piezo for the sensitivity, but when you hit the bell it may not cause too much of a Piezo signal... Some people work around this by decoupling the Ride Control and mounting a BT-1 on top of the Cymbal - i.e. Piezo to the second Input instead of Switch - same as solution suggested above for the stealth drums dual piezo/1 switch trigger.

If you can point me to manual section that discusses Setting Pad Types in the Trigger Bank (Roland terms) for the Pro, I can check it.

Last edited by tkydon; 04-22-21, 09:46 AM.

Comment

On the strike you don't set pad types like in roland gear. Every zone your set up as piezo or switch.

You've probably already done this, but make sure that the cables are in the right places, and that you have the edge and bell both set as switch input and the bow as piezo.

I've had a couple 3 zone cymbals ( cy12rc, lemon) both working right on my strike. I wouldn't imagine there is anything different with the 15r, but I can't say for sure and I currently don't own any 3 zones except for the strike ride

Comment

Is say the best test is to be sure the strike ride is working properly, then just switch the cables over to the Roland

Comment

Originally posted by thebigzw View Post
              On the strike you don't set pad types like in roland gear. Every zone your set up as piezo or switch.

You've probably already done this, but make sure that the cables are in the right places, and that you have the edge and bell both set as switch input and the bow as piezo.

I've had a couple 3 zone cymbals ( cy12rc, lemon) both working right on my strike. I wouldn't imagine there is anything different with the 15r, but I can't say for sure and I currently don't own any 3 zones except for the strike ride
              Thought this may be it but no.

Again, gentle or "normal" playing, it's fine. It's when I smack it good, like putting an accent in the middle of a triplet, that the bell triggers.

Even tried a couple of mono cables. Then one stereo and one mono. Swapped them, etc. Every config. No go.
              Last edited by BradysDad; 04-22-21, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Are you referring to the Strike now?
                The problem is the Strike has two Piezos. When you hit the cymbal hard enough it will excite both Piezos, and so you get the Bell...
                You will need to put the Edge Piezo and the Bell Piezo in the same Crosstalk Group and wind up the Crosstalk suppression so that the module does not play the Bell sound when it receives a weak Bell Piezo signal synchronized with the stronger Bow Piezo signal.

Comment

Originally posted by tkydon View Post
                  Are you referring to the Strike now?
                  The problem is the Strike has two Piezos. When you hit the cymbal hard enough it will excite both Piezos, and so you get the Bell...
                  You will need to put the Edge Piezo and the Bell Piezo in the same Crosstalk Group and wind up the Crosstalk suppression so that the module does not play the Bell sound when it receives a weak Bell Piezo signal synchronized with the stronger Bow Piezo signal.
                  the strike ride cymbal is an edge switch for bell and edge zones, bell is not piezo
                  Alesis STRIKE, PD-105/125 rack toms, 14" PDP MX floor tom diy single zone trigger, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, DMPad14, PCY155, PCY130, alesis DMPad16 ride, L80 hi-hat stealth drum trigger, with goedrum hi hat controller. EZ2+AD2.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you said it was a "stealth drums dual piezo/1 switch trigger on a triggered LV cymbal"
                    My mistake...

If the Bell is a Switch, you must be closing the switch when you hit the Bow really hard.

Comment

Well, the Roland 12 and 13 CR cymbals work fine with the Strike Pro module - just the 15 triggers wrong when struck hard for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X