Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Simple, passive, hand-playable percussion pad to plug into Roland TM-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple, passive, hand-playable percussion pad to plug into Roland TM-2?

Is there such thing as a simple, passive, hand-playable (important!) percussion pad that I could plug into Roland TM-2 trigger input? While I do realize that all drum pads can in theory be played by hand, I suspect that their sensitivity is too low for that for the most part.

Crank the sensitivity up on any pad with a piezo high enough and you can play it by hand. I have a 15+ year old PD-8 that can feel the lightest tap with a finger nail using the right settings.

One problem will be crosstalk at high sensitivity depending on how you mount it. With mesh pads they might be more forgiving on the hands, but the pad rim will be a physical obstacle (and rim sensitivity may be too low to use rim triggering by hand). Rubber pads will be a bit more practical as you can play them more like a flat conga surface with fingers and palms. I’d suggest a Roland PD-8 as a cheap option.

Alternatively you could put a piezo trigger on a percussion item you already have and trigger it that way.
    Roland TM-6 Pro and TD-11 modules with Roland RT30 triggers and Yamaha PCY cymbals. Plus all the acoustic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by temcat View Post
      Is there such thing as a simple, passive, hand-playable (important!) percussion pad that I could plug into Roland TM-2 trigger input? While I do realize that all drum pads can in theory be played by hand, I suspect that their sensitivity is too low for that for the most part.
      I've got a 0.50 piezo stuck under the head of my darbuka with a double sided sticky foam pad. Registers the lightest touch. Drilled a hole in the side and dropped in a jack socket. Total cost 1.50.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thank you, Unkle Kev and electrodrummer!

Comment

Working...
        X