Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD27 Getting good sound from Zoom Livetrak Mixer for silent band rehearsal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD27 Getting good sound from Zoom Livetrak Mixer for silent band rehearsal

I'm brand new to Edrums. I'm actually just a bass player, but I splurged on a VAD506 kit to set up a "silent" band rehearsal/demo recording studio at my house. I bought a Zoom Livetrak L-12 primarily because it's capable of independent headphone mixes, similar to the now defunct Jamhub.

I'm pretty happy with the TD27 sounds with headphones plugged directly into the headphone output of the module. Nice full stereo sounds with good bass and soundstage.

But when I plug them into the mixer, and use the mixers headphone output, the drums sound much thinner, one dimensional, mono, and uneven.

I'm trying to get the absolute best sound possible for my bands silent practice through headphones. I also have EZ Drummer 2 (which i haven't used with the Edrums yet) a macbook pro, and a Scarlett 212 interface.

Can someone help me get a full, natural sounding, stereo signal into all my bandmates headphones?

How have you connected the TD-27 to the mixer, have you got the output level from the TD-27 set high, what is the gain setting for the outputs set at in the module settings, and have you set the gain levels in the mixer so the channel signals are strong but not too hot?

Sorry if these are basic questions, just checking all the potential issues.
    Roland TM-6 Pro and TD-11 modules with Roland RT30 triggers and Yamaha PCY cymbals. Plus all the acoustic stuff.

Comment

Buy some Yamaha SessionCakes .
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

That is odd as I have the livetrack L-20 and the headphone out reproduces what goes in reasonably well. So firstly you need the left and right out of the td27. Then if you are plugging into the mono channels you need to pan them hard left and right and make sure you get your levels right. Record a performance on the td27 and then loop it and set up the L-12. On the other hand if you are using the stereo inputs then make sure you are getting the levels right. The livetrack range are great for rehearsals and recording them. I have had great results recording all sorts. I have even recorded live adrums and used them on my sons bands new single
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks mkok everyone for the ideas. Your suggestion worked. I got two TRS cables (same manufacturer), plugged both from the master out on the model in to two different channels on the mixer, the panned each hard L and R. Then tweaked the EQ a bit on each channel. Seems to sound pretty darn good now!

If I ever do want to play live using the EZdrummer 2 vst, would I use the same L/R master out from module > scarlett 212 interface > usb to computer > L/R monitor out from interface into mixer?

Comment

You would’t need the L/R from the module since the sounds are coming out of the Scarlett not the module. You would still need the usb from the module to the computer for midi or you could use the midi out from the td27 to the midi in of the Scarlett. The td27 is used in this case to trigger the sounds only and plays no part in producing them unless you are wanting to mix both together. With the l-12 you could put both td27 and Scarlett into the mixer and have one going front of house and the other to the monitors. Lots of options

i don’t know why this forum keeps putting strange characters into my typing?
            Last edited by mkok; 11-09-20, 11:37 AM.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
            X