Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

help with stealth drums hi hat, how does the switch work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with stealth drums hi hat, how does the switch work?

recently bought a pack of stealth cymbals triggers and followed jman's installation instruction video for the hi hat, but unless i'm missing it there were no specific instructions for the switch and i can't get it to trigger properly (by striking the hi hat). i can get it to trigger by flicking the switch with my finger, so it doesn't seem to be broken i just guess i'm missing something.

wish i was just able to ask the man himself but as we all know that's tragically not an option...

attached photo of the installed trigger. do i maybe need to move it further out towards the cymgard? installation video makes it look like he got the piezo box as close to the bell area as possible
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

bump

bueller?

no one around who has any experience with the stealth triggers?
    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

You don't mention which Module you are using.

The Piezo registers the hit, anywhere...

If the Piezo sends the signal and the Switch is Open at the same time (not hit) then the Module registers this as a Bow hit
      If the Piezo sends the signal and the Switch is Closed at the same time (hit by the stick) then the Module registers this as an Edge hit
      If the Piezo sends the signal with the Switch Open or Closed, but then the Switch is Closed after the Piezo then the Module registers this as a Choke and turns the sound off abruptly

Therefore, you have to strike the cymbal hard enough to register the hit. If you re not registering the hit, check the Sensitivity and Threshold values
      You have to strike the Edge hard enough for the Piezo to register the hit and the switch to close to register the Edge hit. If you re not registering the hit, check the Sensitivity and Threshold values

Comment

This doesn't really help solve your issue BUT, I had wanted to get some Stealth cymbals last year but after some e-mail exchanges with J-man I did not.
        He told me he could not get the ride cymbal to trigger properly with the Strike module. He also told me a customer had recently e-mailed him about hi-hat issues after he thought he had it figured out. He was throwing in the towel on the Strike module.

Below are two e-mails, this was back in February:

"Right now I am doubtful that I will be offering Stealth cymbal conversion kits for the Strike module. I have not been satisfied with the choke result on either my 3 zone ride or my crashes. It is not working like it does on the other brand modules. Everything seemed to work fine for the dual zone Hi Hat. I tested and demoed that response. But just yesterday I had a customer that says he can't get the edge to trigger on my HH conversion kit. I am totally confused about that one ... wondering if there is some of the modules are different from others, because I had absolutely no problem trigger edge in my tests. Anyway, I am having him return that Hi Hat trigger. When I get it I will test it to figure out what happened. If you are still interested email me back next week and I will let you know what I find out. Jerry"

"I did get the return. And I did decide to just skip trying to support the Strike module. I never was able to get a proper choke response. And the dual zone Hi Hat worked fine for me and the returned trigger had no defects and I still have no idea why the customer did not get the same results I did"

A2E 5-piece | Maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Comment

thank you for the responses guys

@tmk21 j-man had told me that there were issues with the Strike module and his conversion packs for the ride... i thought i'd recalled him saying that the hi hat did work though. failing that it won't be the end of the world if it only works as single zone but seeing as roland cymbals work fine with the strike and his triggers work with roland i was hoping to find a solution (or at least confirm that the issue isn't just that i've installed them improperly)

backup plan i also have my roland td-6v i can try the cymbals with and may try a workaround by connecting them to the roland module then triggering the strike via MIDI and see if that is at all feasible.

tkydon as mentioned by tmk21, i am using the strike module. i apologize, should have mentioned that in my post. i also have my older td-6v i can try it with.

my concern is that with the myrk switch i'd previously used with the strike, the myrk switch is installed firmly on the top of the cymbal and is activated by directly striking the switch under the cymgard, functioning as you describe in your post to activate the switch.

however with j-man's trigger (unless i've incorrectly installed them, which i am not sure since it does not go into great detail in his tutorial video), the switch is installed on the bottom side of the hihat and making very little direct contact (if any) with the cymbal. i'm not certain if the idea is that the hi hat cymbal is to bend when struck to activate the switch (this would make more sense to me with a crash cymbal having more room to vibrate without the contact from the bottom hat reducing vibration) or if i'm supposed to have attached the switch to the cymbal with tape or by tucking it under the cymgard or some other way i'm not figuring out. i have tried maxing the sensitivity (though not the threshold) and again it will not trigger the switch by striking the cymbal, but it will trigger if i flick the switch directly with my finger so it remains the installation procedure i am unsure if i've properly completed.

Comment

Jman used a reed switch on his edge cymbal implementations...it is triggered by metal or magnet activity. Magnatrack is using them also. Search for reed switch on this forum and you will find nice information!

best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
            Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.11. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

thanks anders, isn't the reed switch for the hi hat controller, not the edge switch though? that's what most of the results i am seeing are referring to

Comment

I also have some jman cymbal kits, you have to mount the switch closer to the edge so it can close when you hit the edge.

Comment

Working...
                X