Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Loading older module sounds on to TD50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading older module sounds on to TD50?

I just upgraded my TD17KV with a TD50 module. Mainly because I wanted to use the digital ride, and I wanted individual outs so I could record multi track out without midi (not sure why all modules can't just do that via USB, but whatever). Got it all wired up and..... Wow was I disappointed at the sounds. I just assumed they'd be pretty much the same ones that the TD17 has - being as they constantly tout the 17 as having sounds "based on the TD50" - but that they'd be better / more. What am I missing here? They all sound awful. There isn't a single "standard" studio (or even rehearsal) sounding kit in the bunch.

So I jumped on these forums and saw that there have been numerous threads about this already. Okay cool. What I'd like to know is - is there a way to load all the sounds from the TD-17 onto the 50? I tried saving from my 17 module and loading onto the 50 but it said SD Card Media Error on the 50 when loading, so I assume they're not compatible formats or something? (WHY??).

I'm sure once I learn the 50 I will like it more than the 17. But honestly I LOVED the 17. So quick and easy to use and adjust settings. I wouldn't have got the 50 if I could have recorded multitrack audio out and used the digital ride with it. I could even take or leave the digital ride. Now that I've played it, I'm not that impressed. I just want all the ins/outs that the 50 has !

I downloaded these kits.. https://simonayton.com/roland-v-drum...-kit-downloads

I installed them and they sound nothing like the audio samples. All my snares have this super loud high pitched ringing overtone that sounds awful. Something is clearly off here.. no idea what it is though !

Comment

Modules are tools. They’re meant to be customized through mixing of the instruments. Default kits are simply “test” kits artists make during the R&D phase. Modules these days are proprietary in nature. The last time data worked across modules were years ago with the 20/20X/30 family. (VEX, in partnership with VDL, was able to convert the 20 files for the TD-12)

Regarding volume issues, you need to ensure you have your pad setup properly chosen. I’d start there first. The high-pitch and overtone will simply boil down to the kit creator’s mixing.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

The presets are aweful and in my modest opinion, Roland should have put a little more effort in creating some decent sounding preset kits to start your tuning process with. I think that they would sell easier to people visiting a store and trying out an unmodified TD-50. At least I wasn't impressed when I did that but was able to look around it because I know people have been able to create great sounding kits with it.

Comment

I'm just gonna go back to the TD-17 then and maybe get the Mimic or something else later when I can find it used for a good price...

Comment

that's crazy talk! the 50 is amazing. At least invest some time and a little money before you even think of selling the 50. Buy some Expansion packs and get some samples to layer in. Learn how to use the Beast.
            I upgraded from the 25 to the 50 a little over a month ago. I demo'd the 50 and was aware as the presets it came with, also even though i watched a lot of YouTube videos knew i was going to be in over my head at first. I purchased from Drum Tec so it came with their Real Snare Sample package, and also got the Vexpressions Generations pack off the bat so i could hit the ground running. Also bought a few from Edrumworkshop . love all the kits and have to say adding samples to layering is a total game changer. (And I trust you are already using Sub instruments) I would confidently put my version of the TD-50 head to head against any module.
            Funny side note (to me anyway) was i did go in thinking I wanted as real acoustic sounding drums as possible, now I find that boring. And my opinion of the vast majority of Td-50 bashers never owned one, don't know how to use it, and won't spend the time or money (which can be very small) to learn.
            also the thing about the extra features of the 50 compared to less expensive ones you don't really need them until you do.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Baum View Post
              that's crazy talk! the 50 is amazing. At least invest some time and a little money before you even think of selling the 50. Buy some Expansion packs and get some samples to layer in. Learn how to use the Beast.
              I upgraded from the 25 to the 50 a little over a month ago. I demo'd the 50 and was aware as the presets it came with, also even though i watched a lot of YouTube videos knew i was going to be in over my head at first. I purchased from Drum Tec so it came with their Real Snare Sample package, and also got the Vexpressions Generations pack off the bat so i could hit the ground running. Also bought a few from Edrumworkshop . love all the kits and have to say adding samples to layering is a total game changer. (And I trust you are already using Sub instruments) I would confidently put my version of the TD-50 head to head against any module.
              Funny side note (to me anyway) was i did go in thinking I wanted as real acoustic sounding drums as possible, now I find that boring. And my opinion of the vast majority of Td-50 bashers never owned one, don't know how to use it, and won't spend the time or money (which can be very small) to learn.
              also the thing about the extra features of the 50 compared to less expensive ones you don't really need them until you do.
              I agree with you completely and I'm not bashing the TD-50 (I think it is the best module out there), but I'm just thinking that for many people it would have been very helpful if Roland had included some good sample packages and/or presets of their own to get people started on their first day of purchase without needing to buy any sample pack. Also it would help to blow people's minds when testing an unmodified module in a music store because now, people who haven't done their research are more likely to go for a mimic or even a strike if they can test these in the same store.

That aside, I'd like to learn what your favorite third party addition is to the TD-50. The real snare sample pack sure sounds great, but I decided against it because buying from drumtec was about 150 euros more expensive and that money goes a long way in purchasing other packs like from Edrumworkshop or Vexpressions.

Comment

Working...
              X