Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

VH-10 self-choking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH-10 self-choking

Wonder if anyone has come across this or if I have it set up incorrectly.

I have an issue with my VH-10 where if I have the CC sensor dialled in to where it feels natural in terms of response, then quite frequently if I open it just enough to get a "slightly open" sound (which is very habitual for me), something about either the stick impact of the wobble of the hats seems to depress the CC sensor enough that it chokes and the open sound cuts off short.

Anyone come across this? Is this something that'd be better on a different model hat?
    Roland TD-50 Digital Pack, Mapex V shells + UFO eBridge triggers.

What module are you using?

The Pad itself has a Piezo on the Bow and a Switch on the Edge which closes when hit by a stick on the edge, or pinched close in a choike.

A switch close with the Piezo is associated with an Edge sound, whilst Choking is usually associated with a switch close after the Piezo (and switch) of the hit.

There are many threads that discuss problems with the edge switch on a variety of cymbals.

Search for 'Pixie Dust'.

It is probably not associated with the pedal position.

It may be that the cymbal pad is moving just enough when half open to cause the edge of the cymbal to bounce back up and hit the stick for a second time which is then registered as a Choke by the module. Again, not directly attributable to the Pedal Position CC, but only the physical position of the Pad itself.

Comment

Originally posted by tkydon View Post
      What module are you using?

The Pad itself has a Piezo on the Bow and a Switch on the Edge which closes when hit by a stick on the edge, or pinched close in a choike.

A switch close with the Piezo is associated with an Edge sound, whilst Choking is usually associated with a switch close after the Piezo (and switch) of the hit.

There are many threads that discuss problems with the edge switch on a variety of cymbals.

Search for 'Pixie Dust'.

It is probably not associated with the pedal position.

It may be that the cymbal pad is moving just enough when half open to cause the edge of the cymbal to bounce back up and hit the stick for a second time which is then registered as a Choke by the module. Again, not directly attributable to the Pedal Position CC, but only the physical position of the Pad itself.
      Thanks - you may be right that it's not the pedal position that's the issue, but I don't think it's dust buildup either as this has been an issue more or less from when the cymbal was new.

Module is a TD-50. I do wonder if using a VH13 or ATV hat would help, but at the minute I am quite tempted to ditch e-cymbals altogether and go back to a low volume hybrid kit. Never really achieved the feel I was after with this setup.
      Roland TD-50 Digital Pack, Mapex V shells + UFO eBridge triggers.

Comment

Working...
      X