Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland VAD 506 toms positional sensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland VAD 506 toms positional sensing

Hey friends!
    I just got my VAD 506 and its really great so far. One thing ive noticed is that the positional sensing on the toms arnt working. When i go to the positional sensing options (through kit edit), i see that its enabled for the toms, but the position indicator stays in "center", no matter where i hit.
    As for the ride and snare, for the ride it works perfectly, but in the snare, the distance between center and outer is really small. I had to change the setting there to "Outer+5" for it to be decent, and yet its really a small distance.
    But really, i can live with that, the toms are my main "issue" (if it is an issue, maybe it doesnt have positional sensing for those pads)
    Thank you for your time! Have a great day!

Unfortunately, those pads don’t support positional sensing as they don’t use a center cone. Hope you’re loving the kit anyway—I want one badly!
    Meet The Stewards!
    https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
    https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

Originally posted by TheStewards View Post
      Unfortunately, those pads don’t support positional sensing as they don’t use a center cone. Hope you’re loving the kit anyway—I want one badly!
      Oh that explains it. Thank you for your answer! and yes, i absolutely love it!
      BTW, any ideas on why the positional sensing is a bit off on the snare? As I said, the distance from center to outer is really small

Comment

Originally posted by Udiakuka View Post

Oh that explains it. Thank you for your answer! and yes, i absolutely love it!
        BTW, any ideas on why the positional sensing is a bit off on the snare? As I said, the distance from center to outer is really small
        Knowing how the position sensing on the digital snare works I think maybe it’s not getting the time difference of arrival correctly. The position sensing is only from the center cone based on the zero crossing on the waveform. The time difference of arrival works on the center portion and zero crossing on the outer.

I’d say you are doing something that breaks the time difference of arrival. Have you tuned properly? Maybe you have a really loose head.

Comment

Originally posted by Udiakuka View Post
          BTW, any ideas on why the positional sensing is a bit off on the snare? As I said, the distance from center to outer is really small.
          Perhaps you could show pictures of the graphic positional sensing scale for your snare as you strike different locations, from center to outer? This would help to see what is going on.

With Roland's positional sensing, the degrees of change from center to outer have always been limited. Once you're slightly off center, you're almost all the way to the edge on the graphic positional sensing scale. Moving further toward the edge produces slightly more change, but generally I find about three degrees of position: center, off center, and edge. It's not like an acoustic snare drum where there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of degrees from center to edge.
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-29-20, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X