Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Build out an SPD-30 kit on a single stand

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Build out an SPD-30 kit on a single stand

    First post! Forgive me if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

    I just purchased an SPD 30, a single PD120 to use as a snare and a couple of PD8s for hat and ride. I believe that's as complicated as I can get with the SPD 30.

    My my question is, what is the simplest way to attach all these things to a single stand? At first I thought I would just buy grabber clamps and boom arms for the three external pads, but then I started looking at Latin percussion multi-arms and thought there might be something more elegant that I don't yet know about. The goal is to be able to unplug the unit & pedals, pick it up with one hand, stick it in the van and go.

    For many years I have had a large kit that stayed in my home office, at a Yamaha DTX M12 that I bought to run around with. After many years, I have decided to consolidate into a single kit that is robust enough to play and enjoy but simple enough to move easily. I just sold my TD20 (sniffle sniffle) and may or may not hang on to the DTX. It is a really fun unit but I'm not sure I need it, the SPD AND my old drumkat

  • #2
    Um, do you mean a rack? Because you can definitely find a light-weight rack (like the Roland MDS-3C, cheap on eBay) that you can attach all your triggers to, and then fold it up with everything attached and toss it in the back of your truck.
    Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

    Comment


    • #3
      Haha thanks. I still have two racks. That's not what I'm going for this time around. I'm trying to fix everything to a single stand (specifically, a Gibraltar 6713e).

      Racks are wonderful but they are never as portable as I'd like them to be. The TD1 comes close to what I'm after in terms of a single pole "tree" style configuration, but with the spd30 as the center.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Roccorobb View Post
        may or may not hang on to the DTX. It is a really fun unit but I'm not sure I need it, the SPD AND my old drumkat
        Keep the DTX - sell the SPD as it's not as good

        Anyways - I used to have one kit that was all on a single heavy old Premier Trilok stand. That was pretty stable with 4 pads and electronics. Used to play that one standing up. Ill see if I can find a photo.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

          Keep the DTX - sell the SPD as it's not as good

          Anyways - I used to have one kit that was all on a single heavy old Premier Trilok stand. That was pretty stable with 4 pads and electronics. Used to play that one standing up. Ill see if I can find a photo.
          Thanks! What hardware did you use to secure the pads?

          I do like the DTX and may end up keeping it rather than the spd30, which I have not yet used (arrives today). The DTX has enough triggers that I don't feel like I *need* externals. I also like to play it standing up. But for 'normal' kit play, I do like having at least a snare and hat for feel, and I can't get along with the Yamaha silicone snare pads. I much prefer mesh. I also already have Roland compatible kick/hat pedals, so it was either go all in w Yamaha (silicone snare, new hat pedal) or try out the spd30. We will see!

          Comment


          • #6
            Well the spd30 just got here tonight and so far it would seem that the DTX totally slays it. There are so many more acoustic kits and everything just sounds more real. I'm really surprised. I loved the sounds on the td20. But the spd30 sounds like a toy.
            I need to spend more time with it maybe.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roccorobb View Post
              Haha thanks. I still have two racks. That's not what I'm going for this time around. I'm trying to fix everything to a single stand (specifically, a Gibraltar 6713e).
              Racks are wonderful but they are never as portable as I'd like them to be. The TD1 comes close to what I'm after in terms of a single pole "tree" style configuration, but with the spd30 as the center.
              How about using a TD-4KP stand. You could look out for a bargain on ebay, and sell the bits you don't want to keep, or contact Roland (maybe through your local music store) and see if they'll take an order just for the parts you want.
              Last edited by tkydon; 09-10-20, 03:03 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Roccorobb View Post
                First post! Forgive me if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

                I just purchased an SPD 30, a single PD120 to use as a snare and a couple of PD8s for hat and ride. I believe that's as complicated as I can get with the SPD 30.

                My my question is, what is the simplest way to attach all these things to a single stand? At first I thought I would just buy grabber clamps and boom arms for the three external pads, but then I started looking at Latin percussion multi-arms and thought there might be something more elegant that I don't yet know about. The goal is to be able to unplug the unit & pedals, pick it up with one hand, stick it in the van and go.

                For many years I have had a large kit that stayed in my home office, at a Yamaha DTX M12 that I bought to run around with. After many years, I have decided to consolidate into a single kit that is robust enough to play and enjoy but simple enough to move easily. I just sold my TD20 (sniffle sniffle) and may or may not hang on to the DTX. It is a really fun unit but I'm not sure I need it, the SPD AND my old drumkat
                typed a long post but lost it

                check out this pic

                i use the dtx12 for hi-hat and ride

                good luck

                https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...14#post1211114
                Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Roccorobb View Post

                  Thanks! What hardware did you use to secure the pads?

                  I do like the DTX and may end up keeping it rather than the spd30, which I have not yet used (arrives today). The DTX has enough triggers that I don't feel like I *need* externals. I also like to play it standing up. But for 'normal' kit play, I do like having at least a snare and hat for feel, and I can't get along with the Yamaha silicone snare pads. I much prefer mesh. I also already have Roland compatible kick/hat pedals, so it was either go all in w Yamaha (silicone snare, new hat pedal) or try out the spd30. We will see!
                  Depends what pads. The Trilok stand supported most pads just using the Premier L-Arms. Others using off the shelf mutli-clamps to hold Yamaha hex spikes etc.

                  You can use mesh pads with DTXs - no problems. Roland ones are a bit bit "hot" though and pref need a resistor inline, as unlike Yammy pads, they don't have an adjuster on the pads themselves, amongst other missing features. I used to use Pintech mainly. It's all personal. My meshes are on my wardrobe. Too bouncy and hot-spotty. Rather use a rubber TP120SD than mesh any day. No hotspots, no trampoline and three zones to hit. Or a silicone,obs, for the same.... All personal though.
                  *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                  Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

                    You can use mesh pads with DTXs - no problems. Roland ones are a bit bit "hot" though and pref need a resistor inline, as unlike Yammy pads, they don't have an adjuster on the pads themselves, amongst other missing features.
                    [...]
                    ... All personal though.
                    Yeah. Something I lost in the longer post I was going to send was that I used a Roland mesh pad for the DTX12 snare input (as per the linked pic above). Worked fine but couldn't get three zones relaibly, which I want, so switched to a TP100 which has all the benefits electro mentioned in the previous post.
                    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jackodrum View Post

                      Yeah. Something I lost in the longer post I was going to send was that I used a Roland mesh pad for the DTX12 snare input (as per the linked pic above). Worked fine but couldn't get three zones relaibly, which I want, so switched to a TP100 which has all the benefits electro mentioned in the previous post.
                      Yup. You won't get 3 zones as Roland doesn't do 3 zone pads ...

                      TP100 and 120 are the best rubber pads from anyone
                      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks guys, great info here. I'm coming off a stock td20 kit and I'm very comfortable with the mesh heads. But in the last week while I've been waiting for a newly purchased pd120 to arrive I have been playing with an old Roland pd8 as a snare (purchased for HH). It isn't terrible. Maybe I should give a tp120 a try.

                        As for the spd30, it is definitely going back. What an inferior piece! I was surprised actually.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Also, the pd8 works ok in input 13 (snare). I can get three sounds though it is a little inconsistent. But only the center triggers in 14/15 or 16/17. Is that right?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X