Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Pearl Mimic Pro: Screen Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Mimic Pro: Screen Issues

Hi,

First and foremost, thank you to those of you who provided insight on my previous topic regarding the power adapter. The submission was locked before I could respond to any of you. I didn't realize that that would happen.

I purchased a used Mimic, but it has touchscreen issues, which I'll try to describe. (all sound functions work regardless of touchscreen issues).

- Upon turning the module on, the Pearl logo is displayed. Then, the entire screen briefly turns white (maybe this is normal?). While it is white, if I touch a section of the screen, it causes a black horizontal bar to span the length of the screen. Depending on where I touch the screen while it is white, the position of the band will match the position of my finger. If I drag my finger, the thickness of the black bar changes.

- After the module boots up, depending on seemingly random factors, the entire screen MAY work properly for a number of minutes. If so, all buttons on the screen may be tapped. However, most of the time the top inch or so of the screen (the entire top row of buttons, “settings”, “triggering”, etc) cannot be tapped.

- When the screen isn’t working (when the top inch cannot be interacted with), randomly, the buttons within that one inch horizontal bar will be triggered on their own. For example, the settings, triggers, and home buttons may be activated, and the volume bar may be changed on their own without my interaction.

- When this issue is occurring, the bottom section (everything that doesn’t live within that one inch horizontal bar), can be interacted with. So, every button not within that bar can be tapped.

Does anyone have insight as to what is likely the issue? I’m ignorant about these things, but my assumption is simply damage to the screen itself. Also, does anyone know of any alternative ways to control the module? The control knob seems to only change the volume, and depending on which screen is displayed, clicking it brings the user to the kit selection screen. Otherwise, the knob seems constrained to those two areas. Perhaps the module can be controlled through a computer? I’m also very open to any...interesting suggestions (I don’t know, break it more to make it usable, hack it, etc.) Half serious about this part, but I know that within the settings, the position of those buttons can be swapped around. So maybe I could permanently break the section of the screen that is causing this issue, then when I need to tap one of the buttons that is within the broken section, I can swap it's position to the other side of the screen which isn't broken....

Thank you in advance for any insight. I’ll try to respond before the thread is locked this time if anybody responds.

White page after pearl logo is normal.

Try this

download the firmware v1.1.0 see install instruction
    https://pearl-electronics-support.co...les/mimic-pro/
    then boot mimic in safe mode by holding press down dial button at power on, and install the firmware in safe mode, close mimic, wait 5 sec power on mimic again.
    Last edited by Chris K; 08-15-20, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
      White page after pearl logo is normal.

Try this

download the firmware v1.1.0 see install instruction
      https://pearl-electronics-support.co...les/mimic-pro/
      then boot mimic in safe mode by holding dial button at power on, and install the firmware in safe mode, close mimic, wait 5 sec power on mimic again.
      Thanks for the response, Chris. I'll give this a shot. May I ask, though, normally when the white screen occurs before boot, Does touching the screen produce a horizontal black bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnoctopus View Post

Thanks for the response, Chris. I'll give this a shot. May I ask, though, normally when the white screen occurs before boot, Does touching the screen produce a horizontal black bar?
        Never tried, just install firmware, (one had similar issue with ghost finger triggering, after reinstalling firmware in safe mode it fixed)
        -After go to Setting\Sys click delete all users and data, to bring it back as default state (just to be sure there is no things remain from previous owner)
        -Make sure there is no neon light near touchscreen, (neon light make issue with any touchscreen, include cell phone\tablet)
        -If still issue maybe it's faulty power adapter, get new one.
        -Still issue contact Pearl https://www.pearldrum.com/support/contact-us/
        Last edited by Chris K; 08-15-20, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not a Mimic Pro owner, however, here is something else to check given the erratic touch screen behavior described. If the screen has a screen saver film on it, ensure no moisture (microscopic condensation or other residue from the working environment) is on the inside of the film. Similarly, even without screen saver film, ensure there are no residues of any kind built up on the screen. I've had this happen with mobile phones and suddenly portions of the screen stop working or behave erratically (self trigger, fail to trigger, etc.). It only takes the slightest bit of moisture and/or oily residue to send the screen into an erratic state, and sometimes this residue is not easily visible to the naked eye.
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-15-20, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Tang, I tried that already, but thank you for the thought. Though I have had something similar happen with an old smartphone.

Chris, I haven't tried the firmware update yet, and I hope I don't have to. Oddly enough, the issue seems to have resolved itself:

I turned it on and the screen malfunctioned as per usual. However, I walked away and forgot to turn it off for over an hour. When I came back, the issue was gone. Ever button on the touchscreen works. Furthermore, I turned it off again for about 30 minutes, and when I turned it back on, it still works fine. I have no clue why it works now. If it stops working again, I'll try the firmware!

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnoctopus View Post

Chris, I haven't tried the firmware update yet, and I hope I don't have to. Oddly enough, the issue seems to have resolved itself:!
              You need to install the firmware it add new feature and improvement, you might have the old firmware, to check your version check on setting\sys, bottom right.
              I would clean up everything from current state, and set as default, like I explained all above, to get rid from former user all data.
              Last edited by Chris K; 08-15-20, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

You need to install the firmware it add new feature and improvement, you might have the old firmware, to check your version check on setting\sys, bottom right.
                I would clean up everything from current state, and set as default, like I explained all above, to get rid from former user all data.
                Alright, I'll do that and report back.

Comment

So the issue is back this morning even though it worked last night. I updated the firmware, but the issue still persists. Thank you anyway for the advice.

Comment

Hypnoctopus,

Okay. So no microscopic / invisible residue on the screen and new firmware didn't help. Hmm. Could the cable feeding the display be loose? If the module were my own, that would be my next step. I'd open the module and check the display connections, gently disconnecting and reconnecting the display, to ensure proper, oxidation free continuity. If you are not comfortable doing that, it may be time to find an authorized repair depot. Before bearing this expense, I'd call (one or more of) your closest Pearl retailer, your closest Pearl Drums company office, or Steven Slate Drums, to see what their recommendations are.

Side note: Chris mentioned checking the power adapter. The module seems to work perfectly, except the screen triggers sporadically. It could be the power adapter, but it seems unlikely the module would work correctly in every other way in the presence of faulty power. Certainly, check the power adapter if you have an easy way to do so (such as finding a local Mimic Pro dealer with a module in stock). If that's not possible, myself, I'd check the display connections internally and/or contact Pearl Drums / Steven Slate.
                    Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-16-20, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Did you get an aftermarket PSU for the module or are you using the original? it could be the PSU fails to supply enough power? Just a thought. Is there no chance you can take it back to who you bought it from if they said it was working? If not then I would take it apart as Tang says and check connections. especially with it being intermittent.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                      X