Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland PM-100 tweeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland PM-100 tweeter

Good morning! I have the PM-100 and have blown 2 tweeters in 2 months!!!
    The amp itself is rated for 80 watts but the tweeter is rated for 20 watts
    The question is: Could/should I go for a 50 watt tweeter???? The current 2 are 8 ohm each. Need to get those highs!!! I am using an Alesis Dm10 MKII drumset
    Thank you for your interest in this matter
    Cheers
    Joe Brooklyn

I think you should repair it properly, and sell it, or sell it broken anyway. You clearly need a louder amp if you keep blowing it up.

The PM-100 is insanely bad value compared to what you can get for the same money today. Look at Alesis Strike Amp 12 - this seems to be the benchmark 'highest output for the lowest cost' in 2020 with acceptable quality.
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thank you!!!!

Comment

You could still blow higher powered tweeters if you are pushing the amplifier really hard and causing it to clip. Depending on efficiency they may also be quieter. If you want to continue at the same level you need something with a bit more power. Have you ever tried headphones? I’m not restricted by sound levels but still prefer good headphones to using speakers.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Good morning!
          Thank you for your response! My volume setting on the voices are maxed however the main volume was at a little more than half and the amp volume was at half.' I don't think it should have blown. I am getting a stronger tweeter and will see what happens. I do use headphones, however, I play along to recorded music so I need to listen to both. That much sound hitting my ears can with the phones can be heavy! I prefer using the amp. Just have to get it working better
          Thanks again for your thoughts. What are your thoughts about increasing the wattage of the tweeter??????
          Cheers!
          Joe

Comment

I don’t think it will help. The position of the volume control means nothing. A lot of amplifiers are outputting fully at around halfway. Are you replacing the tweeters with the same type or something off the shelf? Monitors usually have much more robust tweeters than say hi fi tweeter as they have to deal with fast transients. The amplifier is probably driving the tops and subs and no just the tweeters although I don’t know for sure as I don’t have one. If it is then it could still be clipping and therefore blow a tweeter. In hi fi tweeters are blown more by under powering and clipping than over powering.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Hi!
              I originally brought the amp to Music Mill in Manchester NH. They replaced the tweeter with a Roland approved tweeter. I saw where they purchased it from and bought a second at half the cost. Same story. That is why I thought to increase the strength of the tweeter to withstand the energy. I bought one that is rated up to 75 watts and when it gets here we'll see if my theory is correct.
              Roland has not responded yet. I did see in one of the threads that Roland had upgraded the tweeter, but it did not mention how.
              Thank you for your time
              Cheers
              Joe

Comment

Worth a go. Hope it works out

Comment

If I lived in an enviroment where I could turn up the volume that high, I would just setup an A-kit, and play to music either through normal hifi set or using open headphones.

Btw as mkok suggested, your tweaters could have blown due to the amp clipping. Even if you replace them by higher wattage specs, the sound would be horrendous at that point anyway. How strange this may sound, you better reduce the level of bass, to prevent this clipping in the first place.
                  E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                  A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                  TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Hooooorahhhh!!!!!!!
                    I fixed the problem. I installed the Roland KC100 KC 150'Piezo Horn Tweeter T-1005
                    and there's no problem getting that crisp high pitched sound at high volume!!!
                    My ears are still ringing☺️ I had to adjust the cabinet a little as the T-1005 is a wee bit bigger but it opens up a whole new world with the PM-100. THIS is what it should've sounded like to begin with!
                    Thank You all for for taking the time to reply to my problem. I would Strongly suggest that anyone who has this amp and is disappointed with the highs do the same.
                    You might have to be a little ingenious in installing the T-1005 but it is worth the effort.
                    Sincerely
                    Joe Mazzone

Comment

Glad it works for you. Those piezo tweeters are more pa type speakers and don’t sound as sweet as a dome tweeter but at those levels it’s pa type sound you need.

Comment

Thanks for your support in this episode!!! With the new tweeter I cannot believe the sound that comes out of this amp. I wrote to Roland and
                        promoted their switch to a more substantial tweeter with a higher wattage.
                        Thanks again
                        Cheers
                        Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X