Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Head tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head tension

Been a member here and other forums for about 9 or 10 years. Never really talked to anybody here about head tension other than talking about it in reference to miss or double triggering. i have no problem with triggering at all. I have full sized shells. Other than tightening til they feel good. Anybody Pay attention on a drum dial to where your tension is. I put my snares tight, like at least 70-75 and my toms at 65. Bottom heads I am lazy . How do you guys tension yours including resonant and batter heads and where do you put your tension at?
    Last edited by Jeffo; 07-25-20, 02:06 PM.

I don't use a drum dial. I tension them (batter) until they only move the head about an 1/8-3/16" on impact. Check this tension every 3-6 months. This will save cones for a very long time. That's just how I do it, anyway. Res heads don't really matter on e-kits. Just get the wrinkles out.

If you're getting missed or double-triggering, you either have worn down cones, and or your re-trig setting needs adjusting. (old, the the former... new, the latter) If you've had the setup for quite a while, and this is a newer issue, it's likely cone wear... especially on larger "full sized" shells.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Drum dial recommend 80, but the things is don't let the centre soft rebound, need to be more tight.
      Last edited by Chris K; 07-25-20, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Tighter is better. Loose heads increase hot spots and cause premature cone wear. Tighten them up more than you think you need to. They almost can't be "too tight" from a hot spot and cone wear point of view.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
        X