Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

2box Load Times / Hi Hat Shoot out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2box Load Times / Hi Hat Shoot out

I tried out some VST Stuff on a 2box drumit three a few weeks ago, and today we will try some Hi Hats (2Box, HXM, Goedrum GHC) for comparison.

short question for 2Box Users: it felt like Kits with 1 GigaByte loaded pretty immediately. Probably faster than the ATV xd3 loads its 180 MB Kits.
    How is that possible? It`s not like the module is with brand new Hardware.
    Do they load parts of the kit (some samples) to give you the feeling that it is already available?
    Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

This one of mr
    deve loper secrets...:-) The SD card is also the main memory...and I think he is using some kind of DMA way to do this trick - then you don’t need to load the kits....yes, the 2box was/is way before it’s time. (The design is from 2008-2009).

But it is fast as hell...

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
    Last edited by angr77; 07-16-20, 08:16 AM.
    Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.11. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

It doesn’t load everything to memory but reads from the disk when it has to play. There is only one downside if the card is too slow or corrupted then there will be sound artifacts when playing. I had such issues with Drumit 5 MK2 until I get the sd card replaced.
      Roland TD-27, 2box Drumit5MK2, ATV Pads, VH-11, CY-13R, PCY-135, PCY-95

Comment

We have through the years been writing a lot of how to find/get the right SD card - especially for us that have modified the Drumit Five or Three with a 32 or 64 GB SD card...

FYI: a too fast card won’t work either. It needs to be SDHC, Class 10...around 80-90 MB/s

094BA34F-2A86-4B16-91BE-DB69AB7D7641.jpeg

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
        Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.11. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

It really is a nice module. If we would open it and change to a 16 or 32GB , we would not adress it via USB anymore, right?
          So we would have to do the full Mod with the cable as described by Jman?

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Thats right regarding modifying the three. The USB port will unavailable if going beyond 4GB. If still trying to access the card over usb with a larger memory installed ... the file system will be corrupted.

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
              We have through the years been writing a lot of how to find/get the right SD card - especially for us that have modified the Drumit Five or Three with a 32 or 64 GB SD card...

FYI: a too fast card won’t work either. It needs to be SDHC, Class 10...around 80-90 MB/s
              Fascinating! To expand a bit on the technical discussion...

Would it be better to buy the SanDisk Ultra - U1, over the SanDisk Extreme PRO - U3 (with better write speeds) ?

Also, do you have a recommended 64GB SD Card for the Drumit 5 MKII? I think they only make SDXC in this size.

Or do you mean; don't buy any UHS-II SD cards (like this) because the Drumit 5 MKII isn't fitted with a UHS-II reader, and therefore won't take advantage of any speed gains?
              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

No, newer cards with “ultra“ or “extreme“ and furious speeds won’t work (You get sound glitches)...too fast for the 2box...older designs of SDHC Class 10 will do the trick.

I have tried a 64GB card but I must check my notes which card it was.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Comment

Let's chime in...
                  Many new large cards have multi level cell more than 4. There are ones with 8 and even 16 ! So that's one cell with 16 different charge levels. Really amazing and at the same time really scary.
                  Anyway, I think such a MLC card has to work harder with error detection and correction. That might very well result in slower random access times on which DrumIt is dependent. The sustained sequential (!) read times might be very high, which is good for a single stream of hi-res video.
                  So if you want to make an educated guess, select a card with lowest MLC, prob more expensive.
                  Best, Deve.
                  Ps, yup, there was once a batch with quirky cards, they just got stuck after very many random reads. Had to run tests reading continously a whole night to pinpoint the problem, but it could come sooner too.
                  Also, cards 64 GB or more are per default ExFAT, not compatible with DrumIt
                  Last edited by deve loper; 07-18-20, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Hi bestdeve loper ! :-)

Interesting, I made some studying in the subject - would a card using SLC (single layer cell) be the most optimal?

best regards

Anders / Zourman.com

Comment

I think something important needs to be said about websites like Drum-tec, Thomann and any others; listing maximum 64GB size of cards then.

DrumtecDrumIt5MKii.PNG
                      Although you can put a 64GB SDXC card in the Drumit 5, its only a technical compatibility. As it needs to be formatted as FAT or FAT32 ? (which is limited to 32GB by Windows default formatting tools).

But putting that to one side (I'm not really bothered when e.g. GGD Invasion will easily fit in one 32GB card etc) that's a really good point about the different types of memory technology; SLC, MLC, TLC (from best to worst, in this case) as it's all useful info, getting us closer to making the best choice.

Theoretically then; this Lexar 64 GB SDXC SD Card is (one of) the best, reasonably priced, SD cards for the 2box DrumIt 5 MKII ? It's SLC, 64GB, Class 10, max over-provisioning space.

Briefly; the problem is the lack of manufacturing information on random read access performance, but at least with SLC - we can predict that performance will be in the ballpark.

The only other qualities that might be worthwhile after that, is the range of industrial SD cards from Transcend, ATP, InnoDisk, Integral, etc. SD Cards that might be SLC or MLC, but have extra features like ESD resistance, or in-built error correction, or other 'medical grade' level functions designed to prevent memory loss. However I reckon these extra (expensive) technologies may also critically hinder those read access times - so the best for the 2box isn't necessarily the most reliable, or most expensive SD card!

To end on reliably when gigging though; the best protection will always be; to have an extra SD card, an extra PSU, an extra pair of sticks, etc. rather than trying to encompass everything in one purchase.
                      Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 07-18-20, 08:13 PM.
                      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Hi.
                        Yes, claiming 64 GB compatibility is only with FAT32.
                        (Which is by itself -not- limited to 32 GB.)
                        Btw, the link to the Lexar card says SLC, but the pdf doc doesn't. And I really doubt 64 GB is SLC. Would be way to expensive.
                        Cheers, Deve.

Comment

You're right. A lot of these companies aren't using SLC but a pseudoSLC or intelligent paging technology on MLC NAND, while still wearing the SLC moniker, naughty!

I see the true SLC cards now (like a few from Innodisk up to 32GB only) and cost hundreds! So yeah, the best rule is just avoid TLC.

Also true, FAT32 has a theoretical volume size limit of 16 TB! I got my memory mixed up with Windows native formatting tool.
                          Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 07-18-20, 08:09 PM.
                          PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Shortly coming back to the HiHat Shootout: the HXM one did not work (for 2 Box, only with edrumin). angr77 If you want I can mail the HXM HiHat to you and you can try it out. I got no use for it, and if there is somebody that can make it work it is you. drop me a PN.

The GoeDrum Controller worked perfectly, even better than the VH11 for me.

The 2box Hihat...well. it`s bad.

BTW: The Intenso 32GB SDHC Card for 4 Bucks at amazon.de works for me. (micro SD with Adapter)

Comment

Hi there, I bought a 2box Drumit 3 a few weeks ago and I'm suspecting that it might have a bad SD card. I notice some latency occasionally when playing fast patterns around the set and there have been a few occasions when the sound pauses completely for a moment and then returns with a crack. I tried contacting 2box about it via e-mail but got no response. Someone on the 2box forum said that the latency might also be caused by cross talk, but what's your opinion? My pad settings should be ok and I always set the module to the KIT main view when playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X