Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Zoom lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom lessons

Hi, I'm not sure where to post my question so I'll start here.
    I have the TD 17
    I was taking private lessons and now I'm using Zoom. I have to be quiet. I was wondering if there is a way to input and output to the Zoom so my instructor can hear me play and possibly using a microphone in conjunction for my voice.

Do you have an audio interface? If yes, I advise you to google on 'Jamulus' .
    Last edited by Animalglx; 07-07-20, 10:15 AM.

Comment

You would need something like a Roland Rubix or Behringer UMC22 USB Audio Interface and a microphone. Take the Audio Out from your drumkit to the

You can optimize zoom for music and it will work fine for lessons, streaming the sound in one direction

It will not work to play in synch with the other person. For that, you would need to look at a Low Latency Audio platform such Jamulus or Jamkazam for the Audio, as Animalglx said.

Comment

Any (USB) audio interface will work with Zoom, just plug your drum outputs into it and select it as the sound input source in the settings. As noted above, you'll need something with less latency if you want to jam together, but for lessons that'll work just fine. My kid's doing just that for his piano lessons.
        Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

Originally posted by monospace View Post
          Any (USB) audio interface will work with Zoom, just plug your drum outputs into it and select it as the sound input source in the settings. As noted above, you'll need something with less latency if you want to jam together, but for lessons that'll work just fine. My kid's doing just that for his piano lessons.
          how do you get his voice into the mix? like for when he wants to talk to the teacher. do you hook up an external mic to the interface to mix in with the keyboard's audio outputs? or is it an acoustic piano and you use one mic for the piano and voice?

im curious because my son will likely return to drum lessons at some point. in pre-pandemic times he did them in person at a music school on a regular kit, but might be returning to them on our td17kvx at home.

Comment

Yeah we use a microphone too. Most small USB interfaces will have at least 2 inputs. We use a Behringer Xenyx 302USB but there are many other options.
            Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

If you use a USB Audio Interface such as a Roland Rubix or Tri-Capture, or Octo-Capture, a Behringer U2, or a Motu M Series, they allow you to connect a Microphone and your instrument.
              There are some good Youtube Videos, such as these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAb4G063sM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoXM5wcpVNU

Comment

Working...
              X