Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Asio 4 All - Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asio 4 All - Quick question

Hi all

Wasnt sure to post in TECH or in VST forums
    Mods can move if necessary.

Picking up TD27 Module tomorrow - over the next few weeks I will get kit up and running with SD3 on Laptop etc.

Years ago I recall having to download Asio4All to assist computers in regards to latency.
    Laptop is a brand new i5/ 8 Gig Ram with SSD Drive.

Is Asio4All still a requirement in 2020 ?

Cheers in advance to any helpers

It depends on your sound card and driver. For most hardware and using Windows, it is still necessary. So, most likely.
    Ronaldo B.

Comment

It will be if you are using the computers internal audio. However if you are using the td27 as your audio interface then no as the td27 has its own asio driver. Check out other comments though as the Roland audio interface on their modules are not the greatest and are hard to get low latency. Ideally you need a separate audio interface.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wotto View Post
        Hi all

Wasnt sure to post in TECH or in VST forums
        Mods can move if necessary.

Picking up TD27 Module tomorrow - over the next few weeks I will get kit up and running with SD3 on Laptop etc.

Years ago I recall having to download Asio4All to assist computers in regards to latency.
        Laptop is a brand new i5/ 8 Gig Ram with SSD Drive.

Is Asio4All still a requirement in 2020 ?

Cheers in advance to any helpers
        If you want to use SD3 live then I recommend you buy a dedicated interface for low latency. Asioforall is a hack and built in sound interfaces were not meant to be used for low latency.

How new your PC is doesn't really matter for latency. It's the sound interface. Only when you have a low latency interface the PC starts to matter if you want really, really low latency.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I used a Cakewalk UA25 years ago with SD2 so I'm guessing something similar in today's gear might be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Wotto View Post
            Thanks guys.

I used a Cakewalk UA25 years ago with SD2 so I'm guessing something similar in today's gear might be required.
            I recommend the Zoom UAC2 for best price to performance. I recommend getting it used.

On a budget I'd say get a focusrite scarlett solo 2nd or 3rd gen. The TD27 has MIDI via USB since the scarlett solo doesn't have a midi connection. MIDI over USB is also faster.

The best option IMO is a PCIx RME AIO. It just works and you can throw as much effects and whatnot at it and you will get excellent performance. Not the lowest latency at 2.5ms but very very stable which can be said about any RME gear. Get it used if you can. With the TD27 with MIDI over USB and an RME AIO you will be playing at about 5.5ms of latency from pad hit to sound. Measured here on the forum (with a TD50 which should be the same as TD27). As a comparison, the roland module it self does it in 3-3.5ms so it's pretty close.

Edit: I realised now you are on a laptop so no RME AIO.

For the lowest latency possible and if you have thunderbolt, get the presonus Quantum. You can get latencies below 1ms with that one.
            Last edited by frankzappa; 06-21-20, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Thankyou Frank Zappa - great info - appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X