Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland PD-140DS Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland PD-140DS Snare

I want to know can you use a regular 14” 2-ply Roland mesh head on a Roland 140DS snare? Just asking because when I get my new 506 kit, I like bounce. Not a fan of loose, thudy feeling heads. OR.!! Can you crank down (tighten the hell out of) the 3ply head that comes on the snare for more bounce? I’ve been play a TD-30KV kit for 2 1/2 years and Roland kits exclusively for 6 straight years. Rarely do I play Acoustic drums anymore. . I’m so use to having the heads on my 30KV kit tuned a little tight (Except for the kick). I like Stick bounce because at 60, I'm lazy.

Just asking has anyone done this? Thinking if it works ok, I will do this to my newly ordered TD-27 VAD506 snare and floor Tom when it gets here. and of course i'm probably over thinking this.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Last edited by ReeseRocket; 06-06-20, 12:54 AM.

Originally posted by ReeseRocket View Post
    I want to know can you use a regular 14” 2-ply Roland mesh head on a Roland 140DS snare? Just asking because when I get my new 506 kit, I like bounce. Not a fan of loose, thudy feeling heads. OR.!! Can you crank down (tighten the hell out of) the 3ply head that comes on the snare for more bounce? I’ve been play a TD-30KV kit for 2 1/2 years and Roland kits exclusively for 6 straight years. Rarely do I play Acoustic drums anymore. . I’m so use to having the heads on my 30KV kit tuned a little tight (Except for the kick). I like Stick bounce because at 60, I'm lazy.

Just asking has anyone done this? Thinking if it works ok, I will do this to my newly ordered TD-27 VAD506 snare and floor Tom when it gets here. and of course i'm probably over thinking this.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Difficult to say, maybe someone who has one can put on a 2 ply.

Thing is the 140ds uses the middle cone to find position as usual but it uses the outside cones to detect positions the middle cone can't pick up within a scan time of 2ms. It compares the delay between the three cones.

It will probably work like usual.
    Last edited by frankzappa; 06-06-20, 06:17 AM.

Comment

After the 3-ply head got damaged on my PD-140DS, I swapped to a Roland PowerPly 2-ply head for a bit before buying a drum-tec Real Feel. The 2 ply worked fine from what I can remember. If it's the feel you're after, don't see why it won't work for you, but the 3 ply head really is a lot better and it does take well to being tuned pretty high so I'd definitely experiment with it first before spending. It definitely doesn't feel "loose" in my opinion, but preferences will dictate.
      Last edited by Pulsc; 06-06-20, 05:07 AM.
      The eDrum Workshop | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsc View Post
        After the 3-ply head got damaged on my PD-140DS, I swapped to a Roland PowerPly 2-ply head for a bit before buying a drum-tec Real Feel. The 2 ply worked fine from what I can remember. If it's the feel you're after, don't see why it won't work for you, but the 3 ply head really is a lot better and it does take well to being tuned pretty high so I'd definitely experiment with it first before spending. It definitely doesn't feel "loose" in my opinion, but preferences will dictate.
        Thanks Luke. When the kit comes in, I'll experiment with it for sure. At least I know it's possible if I want to. Keep up the good vids.

Comment

Working...
        X