Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Jobeky vs. Triggera vs. Gear Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobeky vs. Triggera vs. Gear Drum

So, i’ve started an A2E conversion on my Gretsch Catalina Ash which has been hiding under a layer of dust for a few years. The eDrumin interface is on its way, I’ve ordered two Drum-Tec design heads for toms and a Real Feel for snare. Up next, triggers..

I’m not planning on breaking the bank so I’m thinking about dual zone, side mounted internal triggers. Since I’m living in the Netherlands I’d like to buy from European sellers so I’ve made a list of possible options:

Triggera Intrigg:
    https://triggera.com/intrigg-internal-drum-trigger
    The initial idea was to use these Intrigg triggers which are €39. The seem like a good deal for dual zone triggers. I really like the way they handle the air vent connection. Looks really professional. Unfortunately I stumbled across a forum post from 2017 here on VDrums were someone stated that the Intrigg's don't really trigger nicely with the Real Feel heads so that threw me off a little.

Jobeky side mount triggers:
    https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jo...-side-trigger/
    Price for these triggers are 35.99 which is about €41 but these also need a 3.5mm cable connector which is 10 when buying from them. I've read some great reviews about these but price is the increased price worth it compared to the Intrigg's? And also, to these trigger fine with Real Feel heads?

Gear Drum SMD:
    https://www.geardrum.it/prodotti_en.html
    I haven't heard a lot about Gear Drum but the products they offer look really nice. I've send them an email for a price indication so I'll have to wait on that. Does anyone has experience with Gear Drum triggers?

So, long story short. I could use some help deciding on what triggers to buy for my A2E conversion especially in combination with the Drum-Tec Design and Real Feel heads.

I really like what I’ve seen from Gear Drum (and Drone https://www.facebook.com/DRONE-Trigg...1575733375905/), but I’m not sure what the pricing is as neither of them operate a traditional store front.

If I had to pick between Jobeky and Triggera, I’d go with Jobeky just due to personal experience. I’ve used their cymbals and triggers and have found both to be solid and well made.

I use R-Drums triggers in my setup, and the build quality is second to none. That said, it’s a premium product at a premium price point.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

i'd contacted drone triggers asking about buying his hi hat or ride trigger for an L80 a while back. believe he said covid was affecting parts availability and while he replied a bunch of times i never got as far as getting a price or any kind of purchasing terms or anything, just that he had a design that apparently works with the L80 but couldn't produce it right now...

gear drum also looks good from their videos but again lack of actual storefront and that kind of deters me.
      Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
        I really like what I’ve seen from Gear Drum (and Drone https://www.facebook.com/DRONE-Trigg...1575733375905/), but I’m not sure what the pricing is as neither of them operate a traditional store front.

If I had to pick between Jobeky and Triggera, I’d go with Jobeky just due to personal experience. I’ve used their cymbals and triggers and have found both to be solid and well made.

I use R-Drums triggers in my setup, and the build quality is second to none. That said, it’s a premium product at a premium price point.
        Thanks for your reply. What heads did you use with the jobeky triggers? And did you use center or side mounted trigger?

Comment

I have a Jobeky bar-trigger and Triggera Intrigg side triggers. I don't like the Jobeky bar-trigger, too much suffering from hot-spotting, So I recommend Triggera triggers, they trigger very well.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’m leaning more towards the Jobeky side mounted triggers for now

Comment

I would think it over again, if I where you. I'm the only one using both and ............
              It's easy to convert the Jobeky bar trigger to a side trigger, I did that, but I still wasn't impressed by the trigger accuracy .

Comment

Originally posted by Animalglx View Post
                I would think it over again, if I where you. I'm the only one using both and ............
                It's easy to convert the Jobeky bar trigger to a side trigger, I did that, but I still wasn't impressed by the trigger accuracy .
                Isn’t the bar trigger a totally different design in terms of foam layout? Are you using 2 or 3 ply heads?

Comment

No, the 14" bar trigger uses the same foam layout as their side-triggers. I'm using 2 ply and 3 ply heads as well.

Comment

Okay, my bad. I’ll guess I can order them from Thomann and see how they work out

Comment

Originally posted by fuero View Post
                      Thanks guys. I’m leaning more towards the Jobeky side mounted triggers for now
                      Good choice. I use Jobeky and love the triggers. I actually started using a side mounted trigger even for my snare and I’m so happy with the results. No hot spotting anymore at all.

trigger accuracy is perfect for me too. I’m using them under drumtec real feel mesh heads.

I think the price for Jobeky triggers is very reasonable, and although they don’t compare to the build quality of r-drums, they are still built well enough to withstanding constant beatings by wooden sticks.
                      Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Haha guess I’ll have to flip a coin on this.

Comment

Used the 4-spoke center mount for a bit in a side snare. Drum-Tec real feel 3-ply mesh head. Hotspot wasn’t an issue for me, but I typically play around the head for PS accents anyway...
                          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

So, I’ve just pulled the trigger (pun intended). I’ll be ordering a set of Intriggs including the Krigg from Thomann just to see how they work out. If not, I can always return them and go thr Jobeky route.

Comment

Working...
                            X