Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Center or side mount trigger for kick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center or side mount trigger for kick?

I already have a Jobeky center bar trigger for a 22" kick and looking to trigger a 18" kick.
    Is there any disadvantage to using a side mount trigger over a center mount for kick drums?

[oops, posted in the wrong area; please move as needed]
    Last edited by OftheSeven; 05-25-20, 03:33 PM.

First of all, when you say center mounted on your bass drum, I assume you are off centering it a bit? You wouldn’t want to be slamming the beater right on the trigger (or maybe it’s a centered trigger and the beater hits off center?

others may have differing opinions, but I think as long as your trigger is centered on the line running vertically through your drum, you should be good. This ensures balanced triggering between your left and right beater. as far as center vs side mounted, it shouldn’t matter. Though I’ve never tried a side mounted trigger on a drum bigger than 14”, I’ve read that side mounted triggers don’t do well for sizes bigger than that. But I would guess that for a bass drum, since you’re always hitting the middle (more or less), The distance from the trigger to where the beater hits would never be more than about 9” away so it should trigger fine.
    Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by ach987 View Post
      First of all, when you say center mounted on your bass drum, I assume you are off centering it a bit? You wouldn’t want to be slamming the beater right on the trigger (or maybe it’s a centered trigger and the beater hits off center?
      Yes, bar mount that has the trigger off center a bit.
      I will only use one beater. It's a $40 dollar difference between side mount and AI trigger. Just seeing where I can save a bit.

Comment

Get a Triggera Bix and then you don't need to worry.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
          Get a Triggera Bix and then you don't need to worry.
          Really? Do you use it? Does it work dynamically?
          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

Really? Do you use it? Does it work dynamically?
            yup / yup. Still just a piezo.
            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
            Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Personally I like my center mount over a side mount - because it helps with beater bounce. That said there’s a ton of different ways to trigger an 18” kick and I’m sure side mount or pedal based (IE Bix) would be just fine too.
              Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Working...
              X