Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Decoupling / Noise eating/ Muffling in an apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoupling / Noise eating/ Muffling in an apartment

Hi All-

Like many, i live in an apartment building with wooden floors, where "my floor is another man's ceiling", as the saying goes, only in this case i can't play at home because of the banging my downstairs neighbor is experiencing when i play....

We all know that the Roland brand "Noise Eaters" are scandalously expensive, and directed at rich people who have no issue spending $500 on a few tennis balls and a little piece of plywood...

Ive found a way to eliminate the Bass Drum issue by Using the best muffling/decoupling material in the universe- AIR!

Im basically hanging the Bass Drum pad from the rack, so it does not even touch the floor and fasten the sides to the sides of the rack., using Zip Ties.

This way its not touching the floor, not moving in a way that affects my playing, yet not rock solid as to transfer Vibrations into the rack and through the rack to the floor.
    Under the heel of the foot pedal, which wants to touch the floor, i put a dense ball of bubble wrap. So thats solved it for about $3-4.

Now, i need something under the Rack legs and under the HH stand legs/Pedal Heel.

Any simple inexpensive solutions?

Also, any experience with Sock absorbers for heave machinery? i see on amazon all kinds of thick rubber pads and mats. Im not going to build a tennis ball platform. I think its real overkill for the very small 4(rack)+3(HH Stand) points of contact this kit has with the floor.

Wondering what people got to experiment with and found effective.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the shock absorbers question because I've built a tennis ball riser, but I'm quite curious to see how is the current setup with the kick drum ranging in the rack. Can you post a picture?

Comment

for the rack, how about more bubble wrap? you could get 4 short tubes of pvc pipe of the right width (as flush as you can get with the rack tubing) and stuff that bubble wrap in. if it’s flush, the wrap shouldn’t pop since the plastic film won’t be able to expand enough to break. won’t cost much to see if you can make it work. trickier to implement with the hi hat stand but you could potentially do it with a plate (like a small coaster or whatever) in the top of the pvc for the leg to sit on and a slot cut on the side for the angled leg to go thru

that plate/coaster idea would work for the rack too if the pvc and rack tubing are not flush.

in theory anyway?
      Last edited by jackodrum; 05-23-20, 04:08 PM.
      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by psynchro View Post
        Unfortunately I cannot help you with the shock absorbers question because I've built a tennis ball riser, but I'm quite curious to see how is the current setup with the kick drum ranging in the rack. Can you post a picture?
        not sure what kick pad rea is using but i had done something sort of like this with my KD-85. i put the "legs" of the KD-85 into the clamp portion of a gibraltar cymbal arm and attached the clamps to my drum rack.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/856/Dru...Cymbal_Arm.htm

i did it because the kick pad was moving too much otherwise though, not to reduce noise (kit was in basement so not an issue). i've also since gotten rid of both the rack and the KD-85 so can't take a photo or anything though...

edit: i posted this setup in the kit pix thread https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...got-em/page148

looks like i'd done this after i sold the rack, so it was mounted off of two cymbal stands with the clamps.
        Last edited by winterson; 05-24-20, 07:40 PM.
        Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

not sure what kick pad rea is using but i had done something sort of like this with my KD-85. i put the "legs" of the KD-85 into the clamp portion of a gibraltar cymbal arm and attached the clamps to my drum rack.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/856/Dru...Cymbal_Arm.htm

i did it because the kick pad was moving too much otherwise though, not to reduce noise (kit was in basement so not an issue). i've also since gotten rid of both the rack and the KD-85 so can't take a photo or anything though...

edit: i posted this setup in the kit pix thread https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...got-em/page148

looks like i'd done this after i sold the rack, so it was mounted off of two cymbal stands with the clamps.

And you Connected the clamp to what? To the Rack Frame? To which part of the rack? Can you explain your system more?

Comment

KD-85 legs are in the cymbal arm portion and clamp portion is attached to base of the cymbal stands my gear was mounted on. if you click on the picture to see it in full size you can see better. can't really describe it any better than that as i no longer have the KD-85 i can't take any new pictures.

edit: click this to see zoomed in image https://www.vdrums.com/filedata/fetc...9&d=1557331140

edit2: added attachment circling where clamps are attached
            Attached Files
            Last edited by winterson; 05-25-20, 01:10 PM.
            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Got ya. The only issue is that the vibration transmits directly to the Cymbal stands. In the system im using, the Kick Pad is mounted to the V Drums Rack using zip ties going to all directions, making it essentially a "Diaphragm", or a Microphone is a spider web shock mount kind of thing. I fastened the Zip ties so hard that the movement hardly affects my playing, unless i have to do extremely fast things with the bass drum, which i doing tend too do... and its the give and take for being able to play in an apartment with wooden floors and neighbors...

Comment

Working...
              X