Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

NEW MODULE QUESTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW MODULE QUESTIONS

I have a Roland TD25 and currently have added a tom and 2 cymbals which of course puts me over the limit for the module. I’ve researched about the TM-2 maybe being able to add on but then again with no midi in I’m not sure. I am extremely uneducated on these and if you have Info, please explain to me like I’m an 8 year old lol. Looking to either add to this module or sell it and buy a new module but with that being said, id like module recommendations. I’m not educated on using the computer software so if that’s a recommendation, it might go over my head. May just want a module that fits all my drums and call it a day. But if anyone could give an explanation on how to use any online programs for downloaded sounds, I could use it. Thanks!

Without MIDI in, there is no way to add pads and use module sounds over the number of physical inputs.
    If you never use the rims on your toms, then you could split your Tom inputs, one input to two pads.
    Look for Roland splitters.

Otherwise, you will need another module with more inputs, or with midi in.

Last option is to use a computer connected to your drums and another device for extra pads. That would be using a VST. There is a section in this forum about it, but from your post, I sounds like it might be a bit daunting for you, so, I would stay with module sounds, if I were you.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

RE: Roland splitters. I think this applies to all/most Roland modules, but when using a splitter you can only get one signal (when hitting the two pads simultaneously): either the head or the rim. Splitting two toms therefore is probably not ideal and the more pads you split the harder it gets to think of combinations you normally don't hit together. In my case I split the floor tom with the china above it (you lose the choke and a zone, but it was a china so..)
      Last edited by Excessium; 05-19-20, 04:45 AM.

Comment

No MIDI IN no easy expansion that route,
        SO - either get a module with more inputs (don't know your budget, so can't advise)
        OR - get another module and connect the audio. Either module --> module, or connect both to a mixer.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
          Without MIDI in, there is no way to add pads and use module sounds over the number of physical inputs.
          If you never use the rims on your toms, then you could split your Tom inputs, one input to two pads.
          Look for Roland splitters.

Otherwise, you will need another module with more inputs, or with midi in.

Last option is to use a computer connected to your drums and another device for extra pads. That would be using a VST. There is a section in this forum about it, but from your post, I sounds like it might be a bit daunting for you, so, I would stay with module sounds, if I were you.
          you cannot re-assign rim zones on the TD-25, so splitters are out
          Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

you cannot re-assign rim zones on the TD-25, so splitters are out
            Really!?

That's quite dumb on the part of Roland.

Lovely to see that instead of getting new features in new models, the remove features that were previously available in older models.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Really!?

That's quite dumb on the part of Roland.

Lovely to see that instead of getting new features in new models, the remove features that were previously available in older models.
              yeah, i have no clue what dumbass suggested this, but it totally nerfs a feature you can use with basically every other roland module on what is supposed to be an advanced module for **** sake.

extra sucks because i prefer the 25/30's generation of sounds over the 17/50/27.
              Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Well, there are new things on the horizon.... time to show Roland that people don't care about greedy decisions.
                Put your money into companies that do care about the end user's experience... not the share holder's experience.

Comment

i always planned from day 1 to upgrade my TD-6v to a newer roland module but decisions like that ended up talking me out of it.

made up my mind i was gonna go with 2box or the STRIKE with a TD-17 only as a fallback if one fell into my lap cheap.

ended up with the STRIKE and love it. not to say that it's perfect or that it doesn't have some downsides but the sounds i'm getting out of it now are terrific, i've got a great number of inputs, and it was somewhat reasonable cost wise.

Comment

i always planned from day 1 to upgrade my TD-6v to a newer roland module but decisions like that ended up talking me out of it.

made up my mind i was gonna go with 2box or the STRIKE with a TD-17 only as a fallback if one fell into my lap cheap.

ended up with the STRIKE and love it. not to say that it's perfect or that it doesn't have some downsides but the sounds i'm getting out of it now are terrific, i've got a great number of inputs, and it was somewhat reasonable cost wise.
                    So when it comes to the heads of the drums and the dual zones and all of that stuff that Roland has, how does the Alesis function with that? They have the own plug ins for the ride rim and crown and all that? Ability to play the center of snare and rim?

Comment

https://streamable.com/lnmpoo

video showing head and rim zones working on my pd-85s and pd-105

all 3 zones of ride work as well just as with roland, didn't film that part though

Comment

https://streamable.com/lnmpoo

video showing head and rim zones working on my pd-85s and pd-105

all 3 zones of ride work as well just as with roland, didn't film that part though
                        So you use the rim as additional cymbals instead of actual cymbal pads?

Comment

well yes and no. the video is just an example to show that both zones work if i wanted to use the toms as dual zone. assigning cymbal sounds makes it clearer that the rim is triggering as a separate zone then leaving the sound as a tom rim.

but first i will fill all 12 of my inputs, once i do so i will use splitters to separate head and rim zone so i can add another cymbal pad to use instead of triggering those sounds on the tom rim.

Comment

well yes and no. the video is just an example to show that both zones work if i wanted to use the toms as dual zone. assigning cymbal sounds makes it clearer that the rim is triggering as a separate zone then leaving the sound as a tom rim.

but first i will fill all 12 of my inputs, once i do so i will use splitters to separate head and rim zone so i can add another cymbal pad to use instead of triggering those sounds on the tom rim.
                            so basically all toms allow a sound for the rim, but you can split that and use that sound that was orignally for the rim, for an entire different pad?

Comment

with basically every module except for the TD-25, yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iuuxor32w

Comment

Working...
                              X