Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Can't get TD-17KVX to play through MacBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get TD-17KVX to play through MacBook

Hi folks! I'm new to v-drums and am trying to record my TD-17KVX. When I plug it into my computer, I can't trigger any sounds. I've installed the TD-17 driver, set the USB driver to Vendor, and set MIDI local control to off, and still nothing.

My setup:
    Roland TD-17KVX
    Focusrite 2i2
    Ableton Live Lite
    EZ Drummer 2

TD-17 > MacBook (via USB) > Ableton Live Lite > EZ Drummer 2
    MacBook > 2i2 > Headphones

I can select the TD-17 as a MIDI input, I can create an EZ Drummer track in Ableton, and I can hear the EZ Drummer samples through my headphones when I click the on-screen kit with my cursor, but can't hear anything when I hit the drum triggers. I also tried the same setup in GarageBand instead of Ableton, with the same result. When I select the TD-17 as an input device in the Sound section of System Preferences, I see the mic indicator bars moving when I hit the drum triggers. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

You have to use/change/select also! the Roland Driver as an output (audio) device inside Ableton or Garage Band (probably preferences), do not own both programs and plug your headphones to the Roland module.......in (midi) and! output (sound) have to be roland driver.

Or you use your Scarlett as an output device, then plug Headphones to it and change it inside the DAW to output device.

Be sure to arm the track and also press the monitor (track) button (at least in some default DAW settings) to hear the kit...

I think vendor mode is only needed when you use (set) the TD17 as and audio device and listen through it (headphones are plugged into TD17).
    Last edited by Ribot; 05-05-20, 04:25 PM.
    Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately I still can't get it to work. I tried switching the USB driver back to Generic, but then my computer no longer recognizes the TD-17. I tried using my headphones in the module directly, and in the 2i2 (each time updating the output), and still can't get the drums to trigger EZDrummer samples or register on my computer at all. I made sure the track was armed and tried soloing the track, and still nothing.

When I plugged my headphones into the Roland module and set it as an audio output, I could hear audio from both my computer and from the module. I hit the drums and hear Roland sounds, and use the cursor on EZDrummer and hear EZDrummer sounds. When I turn off MIDI local control on the module, I hear nothing from the drums and can still trigger EZDrummer sounds with my cursor.

Here are screenshots of all my settings: https://imgur.com/a/A1JY6o7

Any other ideas?

Comment

Perhaps a faulty usb cable? Try different USB slot on you Mac, could also be faulty.
        Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Take the DAW out of the equation for a minute and see if you can get EZD standalone to trigger.
          ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

When I plugged my headphones into the Roland module and set it as an audio output, I could hear audio from both my computer and from the module.
            Oh, I had this (mix) also, when I tried once the TD30 as a sound interface, I had to turn down the different drum volume sliders on TD30, there are other reasons I did not use TD30 as a soundinterfae with my PC.

Comment

Working...
            X