Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Definitive guide to number of pads each Roland module can support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitive guide to number of pads each Roland module can support?

Does something like this exist?

I have a TD-8, but am looking to upgrade. Ideally to:
    • 2 - Crash (don't need either to support distinct bow and bell sounds—can be just one sound if that helps)
    • 1 - Ride
    • 1 - China (don't care if I can choke, or need more to support more than one sample)
    • 1 - Splash (don't care if I can choke, or need more to support more than one sample)
    • 1- Hi-hat
    • 1 - Kick
    • 1 - Snare
    • 4 - Toms
    So a total of 12 'pads'. I've been reading, however, that I may not need 12 distinct inputs, and could potentially use a splitter or other device.

I do have an SPD-S that I could leverage, though I don't want to have to use any of the pads to achieve the instruments I've just described.

But yeah, biggest question is max pads supported by each module, cause that's most important to me. I'm not sure a TD-25 will meet my needs.

a td-25 would not meet your needs because you cannot use splitters with it. roland disabled the ability to split rim and tom zones on it so you can't even assign different sounds to the actual tom rims, you're stuck with the defaults.

a td-17 with 2 splitters would cover you.
    same for a 2box drumit 3/5 or 5 mk 2,
    pretty sure with splitters you could even keep using your td-8.
    td-12 with 1 splitters
    td-9 with 2 splitters

td-11 and 15 i'm not sure how many splitters you can run but assuming they could accomodate 3 or 2 (11/15) they'd work.

the alesis strike, pearl mimic, or td-10/20/30/50/27 would all work without having to add splitters.

td-6, td-25,
    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Hey winterson, do you know if they disabled splitting rim/center zones on the TD-27 too?

Comment

winterson thanks a bunch for outlining that.

After some further reading, I'm worried about getting tripped up by splitters—seems like the not being able to play both at could could happen frequently?

Few more things I thought of in the mean time:
        • I'd prefer the solution work through just the module, but my main concern is just when using a VST
        • I don't use my hi-hat controller…need to look into if that's assignable like any other trigger
        • Same for the footswitch input
        Also ordered a MIDI cable so I can try adding some triggers via the SPD-S

Comment

Originally posted by Towser View Post
          Hey winterson, do you know if they disabled splitting rim/center zones on the TD-27 too?
          Not AFAIK. They also dropped that nonsense from the td-17 so I wouldn't think so, but the td-27 is fairly new and haven't really heard anyone talking about using splitters with it so can't say for sure.
          Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

You cannot assign a Pad to the HH-Ctrl (Pedal) or the Footswitch. They are completely different circuits than the Pad Piezos.

Without Splitters the TD-8 has 10 Triggers. You could add another 2 using the TM-2, or another 6 using the TM-6 or TMC-6.

I think you would be able to pick up a TMC-6 really cheaply on ebay, giving you a total of 16 Triggers.

I use a TD-20X with a TMC-6. Not including the Ride Edge (3-Way) and the HiHat Ctrl (Pedal), I have 13 Triggers on the TD-20X and another 6 on the TMC-6.

See my detailed Set Up notes in the last post to the "TD-20/TMC-6 How-To" Sticky.

You could achieve the same with any Module that supports MIDI IN AND Percussion Set such as TD-8, TD-9, TD-12, TD-30, etc., and a MIDI Converter such as a TMC-6 or TM-6, or even another Module just as a MIDI Converter. (TM-2 only gives you two additional triggers, but if that's enough..)

This will allow you to play sounds on the TD-8 or other Module with the MIDI Signals from the MIDI Converter.

You can check all the User Manuals on Rolland Support site for Number of Inputs and whether they
            Unfortunately, it seems that Roland has removed Percussion Sets from the modern modules.

If you are only using Computer Software such as VST, then set the TMC to use MIDI Notes not used by the Module on Channel 10 (Drum Kit) or Channel 11 (Percussion). Set the Module to Pass them through, and assign all the Instruments on the Software...

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

Not AFAIK. They also dropped that nonsense from the td-17 so I wouldn't think so, but the td-27 is fairly new and haven't really heard anyone talking about using splitters with it so can't say for sure.
              I have split input on TD-27. AUX1 is split into two cymbals, no problems.

Comment

On Splitters: There are two types of 2-Zone Triggers - Piezo-Piezo and Piezo-Switch.
                Some Triggers on some modules can be configured to support either type of pad, whilst some Triggers can only be configured to support Piezo-Switch type pads.

Any Piezo-Piezo type Trigger configured for a Piezo-Piezo type Dual Zone Pad can be split using a Stereo Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) to 2 x Mono Tip-Sleeve (TS) Cable such as the Roland PCS-31 Cable. (Tip and Sleeve go to one of the TS plugs, and Ring and Sleeve go to the other TS plug)
                This is possible because both circuits are expecting to see a Piezo, and each circuit can be connected to the Piezo in the Head of a Pad independently. See Page 28 of the TD-8 Owner's Manual.
                Hence, the Kick Trigger and the Aux Trigger on the TD-8 can be split. This is exactly how this works. The Kick Pad only uses the Head, so the Rim can be split out to the head of a second Kick Pad. The Aux Trigger can be configured to support either a Dual Zone Piezo-Piezo Pad such as a PD-105, etc., or a Piezo-Switch Pad such as a PD-7 or a Cymbal. When configured for a Dual Zone Piezo-Piezo Pad, the Piezo circuits can then be split to two Pads..

On the other hand, a Piezo-Switch type trigger cannot be split in this way. (or a Piezo-Piezo Trigger configured for a Piezo-Switch type Pad)
                Any Piezo-Switch type Trigger/Pad only has a single Piezo on the Head of the Pad. The Rim of the Pad consists of a Switch, two contacts which are default Open. When the Pad is struck anywhere, the Piezo detects this and sends its signal. If the Head is struck, the Switch is not closed and so the Module plays the Instrument assigned to the Head. If the Rim is struck, it causes the Switch to close temporarily, and when this short circuit is detected, the Module detects that the Rim has been struck, and plays the Instrument assigned to the Rim instead. All Cymbals are Piezo-Switch type Pads, and some of the Tom Pads are Piezo-Switch type. This Switch Circuit on the RS of the TRS does not accept a Piezo signal, and therefore cannot be connected to Pad by itself...
                (Unless you use a special cable that uses a Transistor to drive the Piezo and the Switch for one Pad and just the Piezo for the other Pad.
                See https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...aper-s-circuit
                This can definitely not play both Pads at the same time. Either the switch is open or closed. It cannot be in the superposition of the two states at the same time.)

The KD-80 is a single Piezo, the PD-7 and PD-80 are Piezo-Switch type, and the PD-80R is a Piezo-Piezo type Pad.

The TMC-6 has one Piezo-Piezo Trigger and 5 Piezo-Switch Triggers, so one trigger can be split (total 7 pads) (Discontinued)
                The TM-6 Pro has all six Piezo-Piezo Triggers, so all can be split (total 12 pads if you want...)
                The TM-2 has two Piezo-Piezo Triggers, so all can be split (total 4 pads if you want...)

You could also use an Alesis Trigger IO or dddrum Tigger Interface, which provides 10 Splittable Triggers (total 20 pads if you want...)

Last edited by tkydon; 04-28-20, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks a ton tkydon. Just realized I signed up with an older email here and never got this post notification. Just made another post before realizing this, when it's probably better asked here.

I've got a bunch of new hardware coming in over the next few days so am going to be setting it up and reading and re-reading what you wrote.

Since I posted this, I dug out my Hosa YPP-117 splitter cable, and finally split an input after having Roland kits for like ~14 years, so what you wrote and what I've read is making a lot more sense.

I think I'm almost set for inputs. I'm going to split my kick for the china cymbal I'm adding, and then split the aux for a splash and another china.

Only think I'm still theoretically stuck on is how to get the CY-13R set up right. I want to play a bell sound from the edge & bell, and the bow sound from the bow. Seems like that requires two unsplit inputs? But I'm just started to try to figure this out. If I can't do it through my TD-8, then I'll have to figure out if I want to see if I can do it through my SPD-S, or if I want to get one of those 5 units you listed…seems a waste for how close I am (and seemingly how much more complex it'd be).

Comment

Yes, the 3-Zone Ride requires two full Piezo-Switch Triggers to produce the 3 zones.
                    As I explained above, the Cymbal is a Piezo-Switch type Pad. The 3-Zone Ride combines two Triggers so that it can use two Switches.
                    The Piezo causes the Module to play the Bow sound unless the Edge Switch is closed, and it then plays the Edge sound, or the Bell Switch is closed on the other Trigger, and then it plays the Bell Sound.
                    The only Triggers that can do this are the ones that are indicated to support 3-Zone Ride working, as they need to associated in the software. Therefore, a Module can (usually) only support a single 3-Zone Ride. Those Triggers can be assigned to two separate Cymbals, when they will both support a Piezo-Switch Pad.
                    Unfortunately, the TD-8 does not seem to support 3-Zone Ride working. You would need to upgrade to a TD-12, TD-20, TD-30, etc..

Comment

Working...
                    X