Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Yamaha DTX500 triggering issues!! (Please help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha DTX500 triggering issues!! (Please help)

Hello everyone, I’m brand new to this thread. (I apologise for the long post, but I have to share with you my experience so far and I hope to get some advice so I can get the most out of this kit!)

I just bought a second hand DTX 520k, and overall, it’s a great drumkit!

The quality of sounds are perhaps the best I’ve ever experienced from an electronic drumkit. I enjoy the different kit built in, and I love the built in songs and metronome to practice with too.

My BIG PROBLEM though, is this...

Whenever I hit the snare pad (XP80) at the EXACT same time I’m hitting another pad, NO snare sound comes out, only the sound of the other pad I’m hitting. The snare works completely fine on it’s own, or if it’s hit slightly off time to another pad (I’m still learning, and no one’s timing is dead perfect) but if I hit it dead on the same time I’m hitting another pad, it doesn’t trigger.

The Tom does this too, but only when hit simultaneously with the snare... sometimes the snare will trigger but the Tom won’t, and sometimes the Tom will trigger but the snare won’t.

Does the fault lie with the pads, or the module? Well... in order of experimentation, I swapped the cables (from the pad end) of the snare and hi hat, so that the snare pad triggers the hi hat sound and that the hi hat pad triggers the snare sound. Then, when I hit the two pads simultaneously, now the hi hat pad wouldn’t trigger the snare sound! So this leaves me to believe that the problem lies on the modules end, and not with the pads, because the snare pad triggered the hi hat sound fine, but not the snare sound, and the hi hat pad triggered the hi hat sound fine, but not the snare sound.

My guess is... the module has an issue with the snare sound and Tom sound.

Obviously, this is an issue that HAS to be fixed. Every time I play in time, the snare won’t sound. That’s just not right!

Is this a common problem with the DTX500’s? Should I buy a DTX502 module or is there a way to fix my current one?

Thanks heaps everyone!

Have you done a factory reset? If not - do so to start with.

Then things to try, e.g. in the manual:

TRG7 RejLvl (Specified Rejection Level)

This setting is used to prevent crosstalk between the input jack assigned in the upper half of the page and the input jack assigned in the “Frm=” setting.
    After an triggering event occurs from the pad that is assigned in the “Frm=” setting, the pad assigned in the upper half of the display will not sound for a certain length of time unless the input level is greater than the value set here. Larger values will require a greater input level in order to produce a trigger event.

etc.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
      Have you done a factory reset? If not - do so to start with.

Then things to try, e.g. in the manual:

TRG7 RejLvl (Specified Rejection Level)

This setting is used to prevent crosstalk between the input jack assigned in the upper half of the page and the input jack assigned in the “Frm=” setting.
      After an triggering event occurs from the pad that is assigned in the “Frm=” setting, the pad assigned in the upper half of the display will not sound for a certain length of time unless the input level is greater than the value set here. Larger values will require a greater input level in order to produce a trigger event.

etc.
      Thanks ill check out those settings.

Yes i already reset to factory settings

Comment

I just set all the rejlevel and frm on all my pads to the minimum the will go and I think the problem has been solved! Well, I’ve tried to hit the pads simultaneously and they all are triggering sound now so I think it’s fixed... if not I’ll report back!

And i havent experienced any cross talk either, so I don’t know why those rejection levels are put so high. As I said I put everything at a minimum and still absolutely zero cross talk!

Comment

Cool - glad to help. Enjoy.
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Working...
          X