Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mimic Pro Headphones EQ for ATH-M50X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro Headphones EQ for ATH-M50X

Anybody using the headphones eq of the mimic with the audio technica M50? What settings do you use for this specific headphones? The manual says: Headphones EQ tab has the EQ effect, which is global for the headphones output. EQ is useful for headphones frequency correction as some headphones have harsh high frequencies and hyped low frequencies.
    I noticed this is off by default, but since the ath-m50 are used by many it would be interesting if someone has noticed an improvement in the response by using the eq.

If you feel a need for correction, you should always refer to the frequency response. Simply compensate the opposite of the measured curve. In this case, lower the lows in the 40 & 150hz ranges about 5dB, and raise the highs in the 5 & 12k ranges about 8dB. This would “flatten” the response. It may make it feel much more lifeless.

880C90B8-E797-4490-8C3F-69FAF07509B1.png
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I just got the m50x's and as of now I turned my global headphone EQ off. My last headphones, sony 7506's, I had to add a some low end.
      Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
      Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

180603-Overlaid Harman target-responses_0.png

Aiming for completely flat response is wrong imo, I agree with the philosophy of the Harman ideal response curve myself.

64% of listeners prefer the slightly elevated bass and highs of a smiley face EQ. This isn't to say that frequency response is the whole picture. Only that if nothing else is taken into account, headphones that have been tuned closer to the Harman curve would sound the most natural for the majority of people.

I do EQ by ear; pick a frequency point, drag it to the extremes so you can hear the range you are effecting, then find a middle where those frequencies are nether pronounced or subdued, then move on to the next band. I typically end up making very minor adjustments in the mids (0-2dB @ 2 - 4k) and much larger adjustments in the bass and treble. Then try to ignore what the profile looks like afterwards.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

It's depend, the things with flat response, is to get sound that would works better all headphone\ PA, same as using monitor. If your headphone have more\less bass or less\more high, you will will add more or less\ EQ then it need, that would lead to totally different sound like more harsh sound or too much bass. For example, I did a jazz kit, the cymbal on my Sony was fine, but others said it sound harsh...I bought the more flatter response m50x's and I noticed it sounded harsh, and many kits had too much bass on kick then I tough, if you shares kits to others, that is the real key on flat response and avoiding harsh sound or boomy sound. With mimic you have control for headphone EQ, so worst scenario you can add or remove.
          Last edited by Chris K; 04-19-20, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Well, you guys are talking about the difference between "regular" and studio headphones(/speakers). If you're just using the headphones for your own enjoyment, it probably wouldn't be ideal to use flat studio ones. I do wonder though if music producers are so used to studio gear that they find regular gear with mid scoop EQ atrocious, even for leisure listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
              Aiming for completely flat response is wrong imo, I agree with the philosophy of the Harman ideal response curve myself.

64% of listeners prefer the slightly elevated bass and highs of a smiley face EQ. This isn't to say that frequency response is the whole picture. Only that if nothing else is taken into account, headphones that have been tuned closer to the Harman curve would sound the most natural for the majority of people.
              Couldn’t have said it better myself.
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Working...
              X