Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hook TD25 and guitar so my daughter and I people can play with headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook TD25 and guitar so my daughter and I people can play with headphones

Hi,

Instead of hijacking an old thread

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...ith-headphones

(thank to him for pointing me on one direction), I would like to know the 2020 way to play eDrum and Guitar with my 12yo daughter on headphones. Possibly the cheapest way / best quality. We already both have headphones. And eventually adding later a bass and a voice.

I could buy a drum monitor, it would be easier but we would make a lot of noise...

Of course, I could buy a nice refurbished jamhub but its a bit expensive and no more support in case of failure.

We have a Roland TD25K eDrum with a TD25 module. It has a Midi out, Master Output (R / L-Mono) and 2 others Trigger in (crash 2 and aux : empty)

I got a Marshal MG100 Dfx transistor 100W amp, not a great one but was enough on stage while I was playing to hear my guitar from behind.
    It has indeed an input for my guitar, a cdin, an emulated line out and headphones input.
    Behind : fx Return, fx Send and footswitch.

I have a pedalboard (turbo disto, flanger, wha and guitar tuner)

Recording is not an issue, the td25 module can record WAV and I have an iRig2 for the guitar.

Could you please point me out on your experience and the hardware I could use (Mixer, Headphones amplifier, cables) ?

I'm an expert in computers and operating systems but completly lost in term of music technology

Thanks for reading and for your help

Ben
    Last edited by benlebowski; 04-13-20, 04:03 AM. Reason: typos

The cheapest silent way with non-plastic drums (if you own a capable computer):

Freeware: Drummica + Cakewalk + Guitar stuff Link 1 & Link 2 + used audio interface with 2 stereo outs (like "Focusrite Saffire Pro 14" for a few bucks) + 2x phone amp + adapter cabels

Make two mixes for each player within the DAW (e.g. Cakewalk).

Last edited by Nick74; 04-07-20, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Any mixer with enough inputs for now and future + mutli-headphone amp with enough outputs (e.g. Behringer HA400 for next to nothing)

*** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Agree with the above, any small cheap mixer will do the job. I run my Alesis Command kit output into a tiny NUX PMX-2 Line Mixer. Output to my AMP, or headphones.

Comment

I am an absolute guitar/bass nerd, which style do you want to play? Which guitar do you want to use?

Do you already have a decent guitar amp (at least little Vox or Blues Junior 500 Euro and above) or good guitar pedals?

Easiest (and best) way owning a good real amp, get Suhr reactive Load IR.....connect Suhr to mix/input of your drum modul use a headphone splitter/amp to attach your and your daughters headphone.

Even cooler use/play into a Computer and a DAW like Cubase, Reaper and Ableton.....then you only need the cheaper older Suhr reactive load using real amps.

Bass is nearly every time (also on almost all classic records) recorded directly, try Hudson Broadcast/JHS Colorbox attached, better than any bass vst...Ampeg VR on UAD and B15 are quite good, best Marshall JMP 800 Softtube, best Tweed on UAD, have not tried Neural DSP, was not that impressed (only soundfiles), because metal guitarrist almost have never a clue on getting a good sound. ML Sound Labs have very good speaker irs (old Marshall cab with blackbacks and older G12H30 less congested than most competitors.

You can definitly try using Tubescreamer, Broadcast, good Germanium Muff/Fuzz and Tonebender pedals in front of the soundcard and TD27 input.....perhaps a headphone splitter....better than any mixer play into a computer daw, unless you have an old Neve/Api board mixer.....

These analog mixer things are a dated way of using music equipment, better invest in good headphones, Hudson Broadcast or Neve/API preamps...merge everything inside a computer using DAWs and Plugins.

The preamps/Dis in normal mixer boards decrease the sound quality.....as said, unless you have old neve/api/helios/telefunken preamps/board.
          A lot of people hoarding these useless mixer equipment, only a few are worth a lot of bucks mentioned preamps, old russian/us and german mics, old pre 1980 guitarbass amps....
          Last edited by Ribot; 04-09-20, 10:24 AM.
          Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Sorry TD25 thought Td27....
            Yes you have to use a mixer or a computer with DAW (best way) or Suhr reactive Load IR (because it can probably merge you TD25 and the guitar signal....it has mix in, a headphone/preamp (attached to the Suhr mixir) splitter than you can attach two headphones.

"Marshal MG100 Dfx transistor 100W"

horrible amp, suhr reactive load does not make it better, so not recommended. Simply try headphones out of the Marshal MG100 (front)amp panel via cable to the mixer......you could also use FXsend out on the backside of the amp and use speaker irs inside a computer, doubt that this will be very very cool.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGDNq4hYcY
            Often the results are better, even with cheapo software, try it.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i770M9pM0_k
            I prefer ML Labs (better highs, less congested) irs to the also good celestion ones.

OK ;-) better use software amps, which guitar band sounds do you like?
            turbo distortion is also a pedal which actually is reducing sound quality, dynamics and playing feel would not use it, if you use your wah wah be sure to check if it does not alter the signal when you do not use it (inside a pedal chain turned off), a lot of ****ty wahs are out there dulling and taming and weakening the signal.
            A lot of tuner pedals are also altering the sound,. because they are buffered (not always a bad thing, never use them in front of germanium pedals though), there are several (free) tuners inside the digital realm, a lot simply do not work and are not usable, I like the Peterson (even cheapest version) inside the computer. Some Iphone tuners also work great.

Irig 2 was also not cool, in fact brutal horrible, way too much latency....also noisy, blurry and bad transients, ultra weak sound quality, prohibiting a good guitar performance. I would sell Marshall, Guitar Tuner, Turbo Distortion and Irig 2.....they do not make any sense....
            Last edited by Ribot; 04-18-20, 06:59 AM.
            Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

These responses suggesting all these computer based solutions and high end stuff are going to cost you. How much do you want to spend? A small mixer can have headphone output, which you can split, and you don't have to have an external AMP. Based on your original question, that shoujkd be all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by glend View Post
                These responses suggesting all these computer based solutions...
                Of course, otherwise you'll have to deal with that ugly module plastic drum sound...

Comment

RME 9632 =150 Euro used
                  Old Mainboard and CPU has to be able to handle at least Windows 7 with old PCi Slot under 100 Euro (same latency as RME AIO)
                  Hudson Broadcast 180 Euro (also very cool for guitar, old garage rock and led zepp sounds)
                  ML Labs IR speaker choice to taste: Celestion V30 or Celestion G12T75 (more treble chainsaw) for metal, more Greenback/G12H30 (classic rock), Blue Bulldog for Vox sounds = 20 Euro speaker ir
                  Ampeg IR 20 Euro
                  Reaper (you can try before buying 60 Euro?)
                  Free Amp Sim like Poulin, better Sofftube Kerry King Marshall or Neural DSP (Fortin) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUAlNeXZ22U 100 Euro, no speaker needed, when you are into metal.

This is cheap and you have a recording studio, add https://tal-software.com/products/tal-u-no-lx for Roland Juno (70s sound), Dexed https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dex...gital-suburban for Yamaha DX7 (80s sound) which is free and Gsi3 VB II (60-80s sound) for organ, Canterbury Suitcase (Fender Rhodes (60s-70s-), Diva (70-80s sound) for Moog, Ravenscroft 275 for Piano (very cutting i.e.brighter => Jazz, very good playability, dynamics) or Galaxy Vintage D for (classical warm Piano) there you go, professional studio and real time jam central, all cutting edge and tried and tested, no bull****.....all real time playable with cheap master keyboards.

Use Superior 3.0 or BFD 3 or Nick74 solutions for e-drumming sure, plastic modul sounds => no way!
                  Last edited by Ribot; 04-09-20, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
                    Of course, otherwise you'll have to deal with that ugly module plastic drum sound...
                    Shouldn't buy a module with ugly plastic sounds, then
                    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

This has got very complicated for the poor poster!

Cans plugged into this:

HA400_P0386_Top_L.png

Which is plugged into this (which has enough inputs for edrums + guitar _ bass + vox

7930879_800.jpg

Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

Shouldn't buy a module with ugly plastic sounds, then

Yea, but then the question is can you afford 2700 USD for a MimicPro??

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post

Yea, but then the question is can you afford 2700 USD for a MimicPro??
                          Don't need that... anyways this is all off-topic.

Comment

Cans plugged into this:

HA400_P0386_Top_L.png

According to the motto "The module sounds are already aweful - so a bad sounding cheap part like a 25 USD phone amp doesn't matter anymore".

Comment

Don't need that... anyways this is all off-topic.

Of course if you want module sounds of acoustic drums (e.g. for Rock) that don't sound like ****ty plastic. Why is this off-topic? It's a reaction to your post! "Shouldn't buy a module with ugly plastic sounds, then"

Comment

Working...
                              X