Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Chain TD-27 to mimic pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain TD-27 to mimic pro

Hello,I could use some knowledge. I currently am using a pearl mimic pro as my main module, however I recently purchased the Roland TD 27 module, mainly for the digital snare and ride. My question is, what is the best way to link them both together to use them both at the same time? I would like to use the PMP to trigger toms, bass and some cymbals, and the Roland for snare and cymbals. While being able to use the functions of both modules respectively. And which module would be the main, and which would be the slave? The research I have done has led me to a few different approaches, but I am unsure which one would be best, and furthermore, what exactly I need to do to achieve it correctly
    1) link one module to the other via midi cable from “Out” one module to “In” the other
    2) link one module from “main out” to “aux in” via TRS cable
    3) both modules “main out” via TRS cable to a mixer

if anyone could point me in the right direction to the best method, and explain it in detail, it would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

your best way is get a mixer, a small 8 channels mixer. PMP will be toms [left/right] 2 outs, kick 1 out, cymbals [left/right] 2 outs for this you need to get a DB25 to 8 TRS cables. TD-27 will be 3 outs, 1 for snare, 1 for ride and 1 for hihat.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
      your best way is get a mixer, a small 8 channels mixer. PMP will be toms [left/right] 2 outs, kick 1 out, cymbals [left/right] 2 outs for this you need to get a DB25 to 8 TRS cables. TD-27 will be 3 outs, 1 for snare, 1 for ride and 1 for hihat.
      Thank you! Appreciate your response. I thought the mixer would be the easiest route! Sorry in advance, I’m still learning the “technological” ways (always just jammed out before)... when you say “2 outs” what exactly do you mean? Sorry, just not sure what cables go where...thanks again
      Last edited by Franco_585; 04-03-20, 02:19 AM.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This cable?

Comment

All you need is a cable from one’s main out(s) to the other’s aux in. (mono L&R to the other’s aux in) Monitor from the one you’re going into. This is very simple. You don’t need a mixer. You sure as hell don’t need that break out cable.

Just get this... https://amzn.to/2wWU19C

7D108D37-69DF-44AC-AB7E-9C89089E5D25.jpeg

Alan
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Speaking just for the snare:
              Given the far superior snare sounds in the PMP and the excellent control that the Roland digital snare provides, I would recommend you use the Roland digital snare to trigger the PMP's snare sounds. You wouldn't get positional sensing, but you would have no hot spots and great control.

For this, you would need to connect the TD-27 MIDI OUT to the PMP MIDI IN and then make sure you have the MIDI note numbers correctly assigned.

Good luck!
              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                All you need is a cable from one’s main out(s) to the other’s aux in. (mono L&R to the other’s aux in) Monitor from the one you’re going into. This is very simple. You don’t need a mixer. You sure as hell don’t need that break out cable.

Just get this... https://amzn.to/2wWU19C

7D108D37-69DF-44AC-AB7E-9C89089E5D25.jpeg
                Thank you very much! That made my life a lot simpler! You sir are a legend!... also, considering a VEX pack for roland, any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                  Speaking just for the snare:
                  Given the far superior snare sounds in the PMP and the excellent control that the Roland digital snare provides, I would recommend you use the Roland digital snare to trigger the PMP's snare sounds. You wouldn't get positional sensing, but you would have no hot spots and great control.

For this, you would need to connect the TD-27 MIDI OUT to the PMP MIDI IN and then make sure you have the MIDI note numbers correctly assigned.
                  I didn't suggest any midi connectivity, but jpsquared482 makes a good point here. There were two reasons I did not suggest midi. One, I'm not sure you're ready for this type of stuff yet. Two, mapping all the connectivity does take a lot of time and patience.

However, jpsquared482's suggestion of mapping just the snare is a great "first step" suggestion. Look into this possibility after you've learned both modules inside and out. You can actually start with using your DP SN with the 50, and then just mute it (fader down) when you've got it feeding via midi to the PMP, and a snare built there you like.

Originally posted by Franco_585 View Post

Thank you very much! That made my life a lot simpler! You sir are a legend!... also, considering a VEX pack for roland, any suggestions?
                  Well we won't have anything for the 27 until later this year. As for the PMP, I would need to know a lot more about what you play, how you use it, and your overall intentions. You can email me through our site below. I'll be glad to help.
                  Alan
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Working...
                  X