Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Midi 2.0 and dynamics. What would be the impact when applied to drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi 2.0 and dynamics. What would be the impact when applied to drums?

Midi 2.0 apparently will have a greater dynamic range. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaRjTsdIAg and scroll to 2.53 and a small sound byte pertaining to keyboard application. From what I gather this update should improve the dynamics of an instrument. A resolution of 127 types of pressure or a finer resolution of touch with more accuracy" up to 65000 in 32 bit devices. This technology improvement in a drum module should increase dynamic articulation, or at worst improve it.

Originally posted by Drumsonly2002 View Post
    Midi 2.0 apparently will have a greater dynamic range. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaRjTsdIAg and scroll to 2.53 and a small sound byte pertaining to keyboard application. From what I gather this update should improve the dynamics of an instrument. A resolution of 127 types of pressure or a finer resolution of touch with more accuracy" up to 65000 in 32 bit devices. This technology improvement in a drum module should increase dynamic articulation, or at worst improve it.
    Slightly, on drums would be more volume change, and average would not see difference, another things no humans can record lots of layers most vst are 20-30 layers spread on 127. This stuff have been talked 5-6 years ago and still nothing.
    Last edited by Chris K; 03-05-20, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

talked 5-6 years ago and still nothing.

Yes there is!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0ZCvyfma0 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoJLRd2irYA

Comment

If a module supports it, it will achieve greater fine detail in dynamics within the overall range... but the question is, will we really be able to tell. If it's only serving out 1-4/5 samples velocity dynamics, I doubt it. move to 127 velocities, and I think you'll at least start to be able to tell. However, you guys do realize how much more work and time that is going into a $2500-$3000 module, right? What do you think that new price tag is gonna be?
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          If a module supports it, it will achieve greater fine detail in dynamics within the overall range... but the question is, will we really be able to tell. If it's only serving out 1-4/5 samples velocity dynamics, I doubt it. move to 127 velocities, and I think you'll at least start to be able to tell. However, you guys do realize how much more work and time that is going into a $2500-$3000 module, right? What do you think that new price tag is gonna be?
          MIMIC does have already 4096 internal module sound.

Comment

MID 2.0 will offer more dynamic RESOLUTION, not dynamic RANGE. Dynamic range describes how much louder your hardest hits can be as compared to the softest. It is not a a function of MIDI data. Dynamic range is a function of output amplification.

Even if MIDI 2.0 offers higher dynamic resolution, I’m not convinced it will make any appreciable difference.

Write a MIDI file that switches from, say, velocity values 80 and 81 repeatedly. I doubt any among us can actually hear those differences. After all, each velocity value is only 0.8% different from its neighboring values.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

The ddrum4 boasted higher resolution than midi internally so the mimic is not unique in that way and the ddrum4 is 20 years old. I really don’t think it will be noticeable but added controllers may be useful.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                MID 2.0 will offer more dynamic RESOLUTION, not dynamic RANGE. Dynamic range describes how much louder your hardest hits can be as compared to the softest. It is not a a function of MIDI data. Dynamic range is a function of output amplification.

Even if MIDI 2.0 offers higher dynamic resolution, I’m not convinced it will make any appreciable difference.

Write a MIDI file that switches from, say, velocity values 80 and 81 repeatedly. I doubt any among us can actually hear those differences. After all, each velocity value is only 0.8% different from its neighboring values.
                Agreed. Exactly why I said, “...within the overall range”. I’m not convinced that the difference would be noticeable.
                Alan
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

Agreed. Exactly why I said, “...within the overall range”. I’m not convinced that the difference would be noticeable.
                  Yes we are in complete agreement.
                  ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                  X