Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Edrum single pad recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edrum single pad recording

I have a Roland TD17KVX. Is it possible to connect the module through the USB to a DAW to record each single pad to a separate track? If it will be possible, what will I record? Will I record the Midi notes or the real sound? Regards

Do you want to record the sounds from the td17 or use a vst? You will need a daw of some type so you would probably be better getting a vst like ezdrummer SD3 ssd5 etc. If you want to record the td17 sounds as I suspect then I think the audio interface on the td17 only allows stereo. To get the components on different track you need to fist record the midi into the daw. You can use this to play back to the td17 to hear your performance. You can at this point just record the stereo audio of the td17 into the daw.

so to separate you need to split the midi you recorded into each separate component. Most daws will allow this so you have each midi note on a different track. You then mute all but one track and record in the daw. And repeat this for every component you played so you get them on separate tracks. Sounds hard but it’s not that hard to do actually.

these days with vstis which are so much better than any module I don’t bother and just use SD3
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Here's the "best" and most flexible way to record edrums

1. Module --> MIDI data --> Software (DAW/Sequencer/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I use (now free) Cakewalk.)

2. Split MIDI data to individual tracks in DAW if you want individual control of all drums / cymbals - usually a simple button push in your software

3. Tidy up MIDI data as necessary, remove duff notes, change tempo, etc

4. Send MIDI back to module[*], whilst recording the audio from the module[*] - this can be done track-by-track, or the whole lot at once, depending on the number of audio tracks you want - every instrument, just a stereo mix-down, or anything in between.

So, now you've got both audio and MIDI. This is most flexible, meaning you can adjust anything in future. Change tempo or instruments or sounds/entire kit, just re-do [3]-[4][*] or to your chosen software synth/VST/whatever the cool kids etc...
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
        I now want to say what I really want to do.

I want to play over a song (wav or mp3) using let's say a vst. and record the mixed sound just in one file. Do I need to use a DAW ? Which is the simplest DAW ?
        These are my first experiences.......

Regards

Comment

If you want to try out a DAW then there is Reaper and Cakewalk. Reaper can be used indefinitely but you should pay after a trial period. Cakewalk is free at present. All DAWS are complicated but you do need one for what you want to do. When it comes to paid for DAWS then it’s all about personal choice as everyone has there favourite. Logic is used a lot if you have a Mac. I use Cubase as I have done since the 90s. There is also studio one which a lot of people prefer. For what you want you could probably use one of the cheaper options without all the features. You can always cross upgrade later if you want more.

last question. Do you have an audio interface? I ask as these usually come with free DAW software which would do what you want. I know lighter versions of Cubase come with a lot of interfaces
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks so much for you reply, you are always so kind.
            The answer to your question is yes, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
              Thanks so much for you reply, you are always so kind.
              The answer to your question is yes, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4

Regards
              Did it come with free software? If not then I suggest trying reaper or cakewalk

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
                I want to play over a song (wav or mp3) using let's say a vst. and record the mixed sound just in one file. Do I need to use a DAW ? Which is the simplest DAW ?
                These are my first experiences.......

Regards
                Right, so use a sequencer/DAW
                Drop the audio of the song/WAV onto a track.
                Play it back whilst recording the your kit as I described earlier.

This is how all recording has been done for decades - recording/layering instruments to a guide track.

Simplest DAW? Depends on your computer - you didn't mention. They can all seem a bit difficult to to start with with, but these days there's loads of videos online to help. And read the manual, obs.
                Last edited by electrodrummer; 03-06-20, 05:09 AM.
                *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Working...
                X