Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Yamaha DTX700 Ride Cymbal Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha DTX700 Ride Cymbal Issues

I posted this in the Yamahadtx.com forum, but no responses, so I thought I'd ask here :-)

When hitting the ride bow, the sound is low, no matter how hard you strike it. Hitting the edge or bell produces very loud sounds no matter how light you strike them.
    Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

1. Swapped cymbal pads
    2. Swapped cables
    3. Updated module firmware
    4. Restored module to factory defaults
    5. Adjusted the volume and velocity settings

I'm inclined to think the module is having issues. The only thing I haven't done is to plug the cymbal pad into the extra jack on the kick drum and assign it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

You didn't mention the module you have.

Try plugging the ride into the snare input. It is also a 3-zone input. See if the ride produces consistent sounds in all 3 zones in the snare input.
    Last edited by perceval; 02-07-20, 08:12 PM.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Actually, the module is in the post's title (DTX700).
      Something else I failed to mention (that may be important to the post) is that I also ran the module through both EZDrummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3 and got the same results with the ride.

I'll definitely give your idea a try tomorrow when I'm back at the kit and reply back with the results!

Comment

So, I plugged the ride into port 11, but it was mapped to something that sounded like a steel drum. I could not figure out how to map it to a ride cymbal. I even hooked up my iPhone and ran the DTX700 app. I finally copied (using the pad copy menu) the ride pad to port 11and storing it, thinking this would do the trick, but to no avail - still got the steel drum sound. I was, however, able to map it correctly in Superior Drummer 3 and the bow sounded much better than it had when the ride was plugged into the ride port of the module (using both SD3 or just the kit module). Either I'm doing something incorrectly trying to map port 11 or the module is just screwy. SD3 is really the best IMHO, but we need to be able to use this kit on its own, as it's also used by another person who will not use a DAW.

Comment

You can change the sounds for any input from the module's menu.
          The midi note sent from each connected pad stays the same, so you can use the learn function in SD3 to map the module.

Comment

Yes, that's what I did in SD3, which worked great. However, I could not figure out how to change the sound from the module's menu. I assume it was totally user-error, but I tried what I could find in the user manual and could not change the sound. When copying the ride pad to #11 didn't work, I thought maybe there really was something awry with the module?

Comment

You have to be in the instrument menu. Then you have access to all the sounds stored in the module.

Comment

Working...
              X